How many members here are Christians?

I'm christian. I know a lot of people have a problem with the whole world and universe being created in 6 days...but if you think about it, if you have infinite power, is 6 days really that amazing? I personally think the Big Man took his time.

Yes-the Word doesn't state how long one of those days were-God's concept of time is not man's concept of time.

I don't think anyone has a problem with an allegedly all powerful being creating the world in 6 days. It's the contradictions to scientific evidence that bothers generally people.

Dude, one page of the bible would be like 300 hundred pages. Think of all the volumes... :drooling:
It's called compression, Hibiki.

It's not being written by Bendis. :roll:
What I find facinating is when die hard, blind faith Christians take what is written in the Bible completely literally. In my eyes, and I think most people, the Bible is a book of metaphor, written to give examples on how people should live, not a factual discription of Jesus doing magic tricks, and worlds being created in 6 days.
I don't understand why people can't take the Bible as metaphor. Just because somethind didn't happen doesn't mean that its story has any less power.

People seem to have less and less imagination these days.
Hehe, for what, breeding Buddhist lesbians?
Yes.

Praise Jesus.
Verily.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has a problem with an allegedly all powerful being creating the world in 6 days. It's the contradictions to scientific evidence that bothers generally people.

There are scientists that have proved the events in the Bible have happened.

No, not really.

And it doesn't matter. As I said, whether a story really happened or not has no bearing on its core message or how it affects you.

It's called compression, Hibiki.

It's not being written by Bendis. :roll:
We really are incapable of starting a thread where no Bendis bashing occurs, aren't we?
Indubitably.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
There are scientists who "proved" that dinosaur bones were all faked and put on Earth to give humans something to do.
My favorite explanation for dinosaurs is that they're just lizards that got really big because everything lived longer back then. I laughed so hard I almost crapped myself when I heard that one.

Yes-the Word doesn't state how long one of those days were-God's concept of time is not man's concept of time.

EXACTLY! Thank you, Mavericker, for seeing what many other Christians believe was a literal 6 Earth days.

6 days to God could have been billions of Earth years. It's also why I don't think that intelligent design contradicts evolution.

Depends on which events you're talking about. If you're talking about how the Earth is only 6,000 years old, then far more have proven this incorrect. The Great Flood? Well. . .there has been evidence that very large floods have affected the Mesopotamia area, and these could have been interpreted as the world flooding since most of the world's population was around this area around the time of "The Great Flood". Dinosaurs existing beside humans? Again, far more have proven this to be false.

So, you'd have to give specific examples.

Have you guys heard of the Creation Museum....yeah a guy in my Design Class went down...all I can say is, Wow.

According to the Museum, the planet is only 6000 years old, and the Garden was a lot like Bedrock (y'know, buildings, dinosaurs and the like).

Why would you choose to believe in one, staid, and unflinching reality when you can believe in a reality that's flexible, wondrous, overflowing with limitless possibilities? I don't know. I feel like anyone who doesn't at least consider the possibility of a multi-faceted reality isn't using their head right.

Have you guys heard of the Creation Museum....yeah a guy in my Design Class went down...all I can say is, Wow.

According to the Museum, the planet is only 6000 years old, and the Garden was a lot like Bedrock (y'know, buildings, dinosaurs and the like).

Is that the one with Dinosaurs wearing saddles?

Spiritually I remain unaffiliated, though I do have an interest in Taoist principals. Probably something I'll look into in my time off...

I had a Jehovah's Witness knock on my door and tell me this. I was talking to her and suddenly she comes out with:
"I have scientific evidence that God exists."
Intregued, I asked her what her proof was. She told me
"Scientists have proven that the events that came togther to create life were so improbable, that God had to have existed to start the reactions off."

Talk about blind faith.
I just said to her,
"No, that just means that the odds of such an event were highly unlikely to have happened. They can still happen though, like a coin landing edge side instead of heads or tails. Almost impossible, but I have seen it happen. Your reasoning doesn't even give any basis for God existing, just that an external catalyst must have been present. It didn't have to be your all powerful deity, it could have been another chemical."

She looked at me blankly, so I decided to wind her up and tell her I was a Satanist.

Some of the events in the Bible could have easily happened though, I do not dispute that. I don't believe in people (Sons of God or not) pulling a Jean Grey and coming back to life, but a lot of the events mentioned by others like the Flood etc are probably based in fact.

Last edited:
Alan Moore going through the history of the universe as it corresponds to Genesis is one of the most brilliant things I have ever read in my entire life, and gave the first book of the Bible so much more context and relevance... Alan Moore has magical powers, clearly.

Its funky, because I think reading Promethea actually made me believe in a supreme being more than ever...

However, to get a little cheesy here, I think that the idea that "God is Love" is the closest definition in human terms to what we understand as God. Because more than anything else, Love is a human emotion that transcends all others. We can shut it down and ignore it, but people can't thrive or really be happy (unless they are amoral and psychotic) without love in their life... If you simplify Christ's message a bit it was for all of us to remember that we have to love eachother... Because loving eachother is where God exists... Its what brings us together and also what makes us closer to God. I think its silly to think that God loves ____ and God hates ____ because at the end of the day, God IS love, he's not sitting up in a chair nitpicking over whether so-and-so stole a pack of sparklers in the sixth grade. Organized religion used to embody that community of close-knit love, and brotherhood, but got a little lost in the dogma and traditions... which is why i am a bit of a non-practising catholic... But its all in there, its at the heart of most every story in the Bible (at least the Gospels, and SOME of the Old Testament, if you ignore the tribal laws of the Hebrews, and the history of ancient wars in the Middle East... because i'm sure God totally condones the absolute slaughter of every large group of people his people conquered in the old days... Gotta love that law... they would even kill women and children, and all their livestock...) But I'm rambling.

I consider myself more spiritual than Religious. I tend to talk to God sometimes when I'm really stressed... I don't pray really... Its just a way of talking through some of the **** i'm going through.

But yeah.

I had a Jehovah's Witness knock on my door and tell me this. I was talking to her and suddenly she comes out with:
"I have scientific evidence that God exists."
Intregued, I asked her what her proof was. She told me
"Scientists have proven that the events that came togther to create life were so improbable, that God had to have existed to start the reactions off."

Talk about blind faith.
I just said to her,
"No, that just means that the odds of such an event were highly unlikely to have happened. They can still happen though, like a coin landing edge side instead of heads or tails. Almost impossible, but I have seen it happen. Your reasoning doesn't even give any basis for God existing, just that an external catalyst must have been present. It didn't have to be your all powerful deity, it could have been another chemical."

:lol:

She'd be a lot better off to stick with that theory, I forget whose it was(might have been Aquinas), about how since science says that everything that happens has to have a cause to activate it, the Universe(or existence in general) must have been set in motion by something, and whatever that something is would meet the defition of "God", and therefore, according to the fundamental principles of science, "God" must exist.

I kind of like that one.

Latest posts

Back