How should Batman be written?

I agree with Skotti's assessment of the current Batman books. I feel like Dini and Morrison have pulled Batman out of an awful slump that he's been in since, honestly, Frank Miller took over.

I like Miller's take on Batman in moderation, but he's honestly turned his portrayal of the character into a complete parody in recent years.

I don't agree with the argument that "Batman" is the real personality of the character and that "Bruce Wayne" is a mask. I feel like, when he's going out to fight crime, he's putting on a role, projecting monstrosity and severity to instill fear in criminals, because that's what he needs to do to survive. I don't feel like he needs to be a psychopathic agent of vengeance, like Miller portrays him. I think Batman is a character with good intentions, trying to win the fight on crime. The Bruce Wayne playboy image is a mask he puts on to keep up appearances and the terrifying Batman image is a mask he puts on to do his job. But the actual character underneath it all is caring and driven. He's distant, but that's because he spends so much of his time working his job that he finds it nigh-impossible to interact with other people. He has a tendency to be too analytical, but he's hardly the psychotic, Charles Bronson mother****er that Miller paints him to be.

I like the idea that in his early days, the Batman is a complete myth, the origin of which no one knows, but to be honest, the character is too big, and has been going on for too long, for that to be retained. I feel like DC's doing a pretty good balancing act as it stands now. It's publicly known that there is a Batman, and it's publicly known that he works with the Justice League, but no one's quite sure about what powers he has or what his intentions are.

I don't have a problem with Robin either, and I think it's been pretty well explained in the books. But Batman knows what it's like to be obsessed with vengeance. He knows what could happen if he doesn't channel these kids' rage in a positive direction. He's aware that they'll keep trying to be heroes, with his help or not.

Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? He can do what he wants! He's the goddamn Frank Miller!

Last edited:
Honestly, I've preferred Morrison and Dini's runs. He's dark, he's intelligent (3rd most intelligent hero in the DCU) and most of all, not 100% stable.
I agree, but overall I think Batman should be written however anyone wants to. One of the richest things about Batman's character is the diversity with which people have handled him. While I like the Morrison/Dini interpretation, I'm open to others...
If you ask me, Batman shouldn't even be part of The JLU or any other superhero teams; outside of "The bat family" he should be pretty reclusive.

I know that I'm sorta alone on this...but I love Frank Millar's Batman. The anti-social, angry guy who refuses to get over his Parent's death, as portrayed in Year one, DKR and All Star (to a lesser extent).
...Like Miller's, occasionally.
I also wouldn't be opposed to a long-distance internet partnership with The Question, for the various scoops and crucial information they can trade with eachother.
shadowBat39: omg i just lov talking 2 u
?marck16: i no, we have lik such a connection
shadowBat39: there r so many things i want 2 do wit u
?marck16: hehe my parents are not home 4 th wkend do u want 2 come ovr???
shadowBat39: i will bring sume lube n toys n we can do it on yor parents bed! it will be dirrrty
?marck16: that is soo hawt omg i cant wait

ToCatchABatman.jpg

So why is Lady Shiva always kicking the crap out of him?
Actually, I think Richard Dragon is the best martial artist. Batman is probably the most versatile, though.

There was a thread on this...

shadowBat39: omg i just lov talking 2 u
?marck16: i no, we have lik such a connection
shadowBat39: there r so many things i want 2 do wit u
?marck16: hehe my parents are not home 4 th wkend do u want 2 come ovr???
shadowBat39: i will bring sume lube n toys n we can do it on yor parents bed! it will be dirrrty
?marck16: that is soo hawt omg i cant wait

ToCatchABatman.jpg

Do you know what had me laughing the hardest at this?

Just now, when I quoted it and saw that the image file is called "ToCatchABatman.jpg". I literally burst out laughing.

At any rate, it's the clear POTD. Do you ever get tired of hearing that?

Actually, I think Richard Dragon is the best martial artist. Batman is probably the most versatile, though.

There was a thread on this...

Yeah, they've mentioned a few times that Dragon (who trained, Bruce, Shiva, David Cain and The Question) is the world's greatest martial artist.

Yeah, they've mentioned a few times that Dragon (who trained, Bruce, Shiva, David Cain and The Question) is the world's greatest martial artist.

Really? In "Richard Dragon, Kung fu fighter" he got beaten up by Shiva a bunch of times, but I can't remember if those stories are cannon anymore or not.

And I'm pretty sure that Karate Kid from the Leigon of Superheroes is the greatest martial artist ever.

Really? In "Richard Dragon, Kung fu fighter" he got beaten up by Shiva a bunch of times, but I can't remember if those stories are cannon anymore or not.

And I'm pretty sure that Karate Kid from the Leigon of Superheroes is the greatest martial artist ever.

Honestly, after the white Richard Dragon reboot, I'd forgotten about him until 52.

I agree with Karate Kid, but remember LoSH is 1000 years in the future of the main DCU.

Uh, yeah. Lady Shiva beat the hell out of him because he was busy staring at her boobs.

Obviously, dude.

Last edited:
Uh, yeah. Lady Shiva beat the hell out of him because he was busy staring at her boobs.

Obviously, dude.

Y'know what's sad, I could seriously see Shiva using Boob Flash as a fighting technique.

How should Batman be written?

I think it should be written with one of those old school typewriters, and two fingers, the index fingers to be exact.

*nod*

Writing him with the hunt and peck method would be best.

I know that I'm sorta alone on this...but I love Frank Millar's Batman. The anti-social, angry guy who refuses to get over his Parent's death, as portrayed in Year one, DKR and All Star (to a lesser extent).

I can't stand Miller's Batman in DKR or A-SB. Year One is the only Miller-Batman worth talking about, in my opinion.

In my opinion, Batman shouldn't be an unstable vigilante who only fights to make himself feel better and who wholly believes that he will never save Gotham. 'My' Batman is the "frustrated anarchist" Batman. He's Batman not just to avenge his parents, but to save lives and to make the city a better place. My Batman is a hero and not just a poor little rich boy out for revenge that he'll never get. Basically, Batman Begins is the ultimate Batman for me. He learns that justice and revenge are two very separate things and that vengeance will never bring his parents back. But the police are powerless and corrupt and that's why there is an actual need for Batman, as opposed to Bruce becoming Batman 'because it was the only way to keep my sanity'.

Basically, my Batman is a hero, a legend, someone to whom kids can actually look up to as a role-model, while still being a dark, lone-wolf character. My Batman is someone who will bring about a change and will actually save Gotham.

Miller's Batman is just as Ducard/Ra's described: "A man lost in the scramble to find his own identity." He will never achieve anything. He might scare a few punks off the street, but his methods aren't meant to inspire, they're just meant to make himself feel better.

Last edited:
I love Miller's AS Batman, he is ****ing insane. I would hate it if they were doing in continuity, but I just love it as it's own vontained series. I mean, he talking to Robin in the Bat-everything was awesome, especially when he asks the kid aobut the cave, I laughed so much in that scene.

I love Miller's AS Batman, he is ****ing insane. I would hate it if they were doing in continuity, but I just love it as it's own vontained series. I mean, he talking to Robin in the Bat-everything was awesome, especially when he asks the kid aobut the cave, I laughed so much in that scene.

If you enjoy it for what it is, it's pretty fun, but so is the Adam West show. :wink:

Latest posts

Back