How to improve Ultimate X-Men

Does he even have experience writing comic books? I'm a fan too, but I doubt my first gig in comics would be working on the Ultimate line.

Nope, this is his first gig as a comic writer, though he has experience with the X-Men when he did the movie... Or is that the two writers that will fill his shoes? If I were those two guys I wouldn't let him get all the credit that is insane. And stupid. They may as well hang themselves now.

Also, maybe Vaughan is setting up something that he can't change into the movie-verse. Sure we have all of those characters that made an appearance in the movie and stuff, but we have a villain and a potential storyline that will veer away from what one would expect in the movie. I mean, maybe Singer will do a Dark Phoenix saga to hype up the third movie of X-Men, but its highly doubtful. He'll have to stick with what he's been given and go with it.

What's been given is the fact that Jean Grey is able to use her Phoenix powers but is unable to control them. The fact that Apocalypse has just about made his debut, the possibilty of not one but two (Gambit) Horsemen, and Singer's going to be coming on board for a year's worth of story. Since he's hinted at the debut of the Phoenix at the end of X2, we have to assume he'll abuse his power to hype up the third X-men movie, considering the Ultimate audience was originally targeted for those who wanted to get to know Marvel's greatest heroes without collecting 40 years worth of baggage.

Good to know I'm not the only one EXTREMELY apprehensive about this guy coming aboard.

I don't think Singer will tie this comic into movie continuity. I mean, what's he gonna do? Make an Ultimate Phoenix Saga, and then transfer it to the big screen? Or will he (or his screen writers) make the Ultimate version different from the movie version? If that's the case, then the comic won't be in movie continuity. And he can't have it so that you have to have read his run on the comic to understand the film, because that would hurt the movie, his credibility as a director, and tarnish the X-Men movie series that has gotten a very positive response thus far. Besides, Brian Vaughan has said that Singer's early scripts are good and he'll prove his critics wrong. The 3rd film isn't due out till 2007 anyway, and Singer's run on Ultimate is 12 issues starting 2005. THere'll be too much of a gap to tie them with one another.

I don't like the idea of "Bryan Singer presents: Ultimate X-Men", but it may be a good marketing strategy for the hardcover volume that showcases his run on the title.

Singer's run on Ultimate is 12 issues starting 2005

I hadn't heard that they nailed down a date yet, where'd you hear that?

I don't like the idea of "Bryan Singer presents: Ultimate X-Men", but it may be a good marketing strategy for the hardcover volume that showcases his run on the title.

I could almost stomach it on the cover of the HC(s) but not on the actual issues. It cheapens the book.

Can't remember where I heard it. What I heard is that Vaughan has signed on for another arc after Cry Wolf, which would probably bring him up to the 12 - 13 issues. Singer was stated a little while back as starting "early 2005", but that could change I guess. I'm guessing they want Vaughan to finish enough issues for a hardcover so that they can put all Singer's work in a hardcover under the "Bryan Singer Presents..." banner.

Yeah, your right. The title of a book should never be altered to satisfy the ego of the writer. It's the quality of the writing (and art) inside that should sell a comic, not the name recognition of an untested-in-comics movie director. The fact that Singer is putting out a number of scripts before he takes over means that Vaughan will have to cater for them, as well.

I'm not judging Singer's run before it starts, but hopefully he has some really good ideas for the series and he wasn't just given the job because he directed the films, especially if a fan favourite writer like Vaughan is getting the shaft because of it.

What I heard is that Vaughan has signed on for another arc after Cry Wolf, which would probably bring him up to the 12 - 13 issues

That's cool, last I heard from him was that he might be on for a third arc. Glad they're keeping him on.

I know what you mean about not judging Singer before he comes in. I'm trying not to, but just based on the possible name change and him not actually writing the issues it's off to a baaaaaaad start.

How about we actually DO something instead of just complaining to each other?
Marvel's mail-adress is [email protected]
Tell them that you'll leave if Singer does anything freaky with the book.
Tell them that you want Vaughan to continue.
Tell them that you want David Finch back.

Marvel IS fan-sensitive. With enough feed-back, we can influence our favorite titles.

That's a good idea. Especially in keeping Vaughan because the way he made his stay sound, he would be on as long as he was wanted. This is some of the better writing since Millar's first arc.

I think that this arc is shaping up to be the best so far... I mean, we've got the team, the TEAM, making an appearance and Colossus and Iceman are actually getting a personality and they actually have an oppurtunity to talk. I am loving Iceman's character, I only hope they shape Colossus the right way. Drop the homosexuality and allow him to be more realistic. Face it, any gay person isn't completely consumed in their sexuality.

With Singer...

I think that if he focuses on the ring that Wolverine had at the end of the ROTK arc, we should be alright. the writers did a good job with Wolverine and if we get that Wolverine jazz outta the way, we're better off.

I don't mind the rotating artists on the book, it's great to see different perspectives of the team depending on the arc, but I definitely have to agree with keeping Vaughn on the book instead of Singer. Not a gripe about Singer, but I thought I'd never see the day a comic writer would make his debut on an Ultimate title. Although I wouldn't mind Mack taking over for an arc to tell his Wliverine-being-married arc he wanted to start with #50.

Well, I just wanna see the marriage thing taken care of before it is lost. I really think that would make for a good story. I am dying to see more Wolverine. Truth told, I am the only person that isn't sick of him and won't get sick of him. Unless two worms pop out from his stomach and start to feed on people... That's a different story and character, though...

I dunno...I like a Wolverine better who doesn't know anything about his past and probably won't find out. I don't like the idea of a woman showing up on his doorstep saying they're married...ugh.

But the search for the past is always interesting. It's a huge immensely complicated detective puzzle. What I think would be great would be an issue where Logan and Steve Rogers sat down for a drink somewhere. Cap doesn't like Wolverine or at least who he's become and certainly wouldn't be comfortable in a dive Wolverine would be comfortable in - though Ultimate Wolverine isn't as blue collar as his 616 variant or at least the way he's been written since Millar left. They've made him a bit oo nice since that. I really loved Millar'sn darker take on Walverine. Really if you were made a scientific experement, tortured and treated like an animal you wouldn't be the prize exampleof humanity. I just think he's gotten too nice too fast. This is a guy who only about 20 issues ago left Cyclops to die so he could get in Jean's pants again.

Really if you were made a scientific experement, tortured and treated like an animal you wouldn't be the prize exampleof humanity. I just think he's gotten too nice too fast. This is a guy who only about 20 issues ago left Cyclops to die so he could get in Jean's pants again.

Well put.

He's playing more of a victim's role and doesn't want to ruin what he has... He is still a bit of a ruffian when it comes to handling precious situations with villains. Look at the sheer recklessness he used when they broke into Sinister's house... It works for him, but that isn't the way a controlled strategist would do it.

Latest posts

Back