How would you rate Ultimate Nightmare overall?

How would you rate Ultimate Nightmare overall?

• Excellent

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Above average

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Average

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Below average

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted average. I liked the story overall, and some issues (especially the first and the last) was very good. However, I´m comparing this to other Ultimate titles I enjoy at the moment, namely Ultimate FF, Ultimates 2 and Ultimate Spider-man. Against that competition, I think this mini was average.

Still, it had some wonderful moments and spectacular events, including great introductions of Falcon and Vision. I didn´t care much for the russian super soldiers, even though the whole concept of Soviet Union basing their super soldier program on alien technology was cool. Another thing I didn´t like was the forced fighting scene between the X-men and the Ultimates. It was a good fight, but it seemed pointless to me. I think this story could have been made with not two groups, but one mixed group, consisting of Ultimates, and some X-men. As SHIELD psi division is down, say Nick Fury wanted a telepath to join the mission, and thus borrows Jean Grey for a while. Colossus could also join, as her body guard. Wolverine wouldn´t be necessary. Handling the story this way could have led to some interesting character interactions between the miltary Ultimates and the teen mutants, without the need for them to fight each other. Instead, the russian super freaks could have offered some more competition, to give the story some action. I don´t understand why every team up, as a rule, have to include a fight between the two team of heroes. Oh well.

Anyway, it´s a nice mini, and it´s sure to set some cool things up for the next two arcs of this trilogy. And by the end of this, the Ultimate U will probably be a very different place!

While I don't think you can completely compare this yet, I do think that you made a great point and I totally agree with you. ;)

My opinion

Ultimate Nightmare is the first part of a 3 part trilogy. You have to take this into account when rating it.

Think of it as the first act of a movie, the background so to say, the thing that starts it all, the proluge or first 1/4 of a really good book.

With that in mind it made me want to know what was going to happen and has given me wood for Ultimate Secret, therfore it succeeded in it's presentation.

I give letter ratings, like that pricky school teacher, for example, C being a strong average.

Leather's rating for Ultimate Nightmare? B-. Above average story and characterzation, slow action and yet another confrontation with the X-men and the Ultimates. These 2 groups are starting to get like Hulk Hogan & Roddy Piper or HHH & HBK.
:lol:

PEACE!

Leather

i put it at below average.. five issues to tell us something we expected just from the rumors.. sure ultimate falcon and vision were nice to see.. BUT CMON..

Yes, but I think Leather is absolutely right... You've got to look at it with a more open eye because it's still part of a bigger picture. You could go back to it after Galactus is done and say, "My, I get why Ellis wrote Nightmare like that!"

Goodwill said:
Yes, but I think Leather is absolutely right... You've got to look at it with a more open eye because it's still part of a bigger picture. You could go back to it after Galactus is done and say, "My, I get why Ellis wrote Nightmare like that!"
Agreed as well. :)

Leather also said that it got you ready to read Secret, which I think is a very good sign that it was good. I, too, remember being like, "Oh, man, when is Secret coming out?" That's what it was like. Don't poo poo it just yet.

I think a lot of the criticism comes from viewing the story as a series of issues rather than a single serialized story. Novels in the past were often serialized in magazines before being published as a whole. Would you complain about Crime and Punnishment because you felt the particular issue wasn't stellar in and of itself?

Though a Dostoyevsky novel it certainly isn't, Ulimate Nightmare's atmosphere and mood were well handled, and we were given a good warning for the appraoch of Galactacus. Sure beats the hell out of a silver guy on a surf board with "the power cosmic". It was an entirely original way of introducing an old concept. And ifyou take our preknowledge of Galactacus out it's a good story in it's own right. It was also nicely tied into a real world event and had fairly realistic sequence of events. There were some off bits (the teams fighting for no good reason... save for being put on edge by Vision's broadcast), and Harsine's art was less than top par at spots (not to mention the bland fill in artist) so that's why I say above average.

Just go back read it as a whole. Think of it as a story that's part of a larger whole (as has been said), but don't showhorn it an intro before the real story, it has it's own qualities. I'm glad it was written as more than just a vehicle to introduce Galactacus. That would have been dull as a soviet automobile. ;)

Last edited:
Well, sure, I know what you mean. If you digest the Lord of the Rings movies as individual movies, you will see how the Two Towers was just an awkward transition movie and one that could've been done without. ;) I know I'm headed six feet under for that comment, so let me have it...

Anyway, yeah, I really think you're right. Pacing aside, guys, Nightmare did stand against Silver Surfer.

Goodwill said:
Well, sure, I know what you mean. If you digest the Lord of the Rings movies as individual movies, you will see how the Two Towers was just an awkward transition movie and one that could've been done without. ;) I know I'm headed six feet under for that comment, so let me have it...

I am not even going to comment :shock:

Goodwill said:

Goody? Are you drunk dude?

Of the three movies, that one struck me as the worst, all right? I jus thought it was put in there to go from one movie to another. It was an opinion. ;)

Anyway, I don't drink. Back on topic.

Most likely... I don't see why not, actually. I mean, the length may be something to debate, however, if they collected them all into one book, I think it would sell.

Goodwill said:
Most likely... I don't see why not, actually. I mean, the length may be something to debate, however, if they collected them all into one book, I think it would sell.
You're abolutely right. All the issues together would equal how many they put in a TPB, anyways.

Goodwill said:

I agree.

The reason this is felt is because the One Ring Quest storyline, the central plot, doesn't actually go anywhere. All that happens is they meet Gollum.

The Rohirrim sub-plot, while wonderful, is not the main impetus of the trilogy, so while the sub-plot was definately up to par and terrific, the awkward transition lies in the lack of progression in the events of Frodo, Sam, Gollum and the One Ring.

Still love the films though. :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand back on topic.

So, the kree are the rohirrim who are going to aid our heroes in defeating galactus (sauron), and Captain Marvel is Gollum and he's after ... ... ... no, lost it, I can't make it work.

:lol: Nice try... You all should actually be laughing because I sort of got that joke. I'm not big into the LOTR outside the third movie.

Anyway, I didn't know how those hardbacks worked, but I imagine it would since, as someone pointed out, this is the first "big" thing for the Ultimate Universe and it needs to be celebrates as such.

Latest posts

Back