Hulk Mini (Speculations)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Since we know the Hulk Mini will come sooner or later? Right?

What do you think will take place within' the mini?

Solaris mentioned Betty Ross' loyalty to Banner in another thread. I think an interesting take on the mini would be partially from Ross' perspective. Rumors that the Hulk is alive and she does her own investigating, maybe even leaving The Ultimates.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
This is tricky, the slightest rumour of banner hulking out is gonna get the ultimates over there in a shot, and they would probably win, they're pretty experienced in catching him now, and Hulk and the brightest of fellows.

Personally, I wanna see Banner wracked with self doubt and wondering what the hell to do about his life. He was a top SHIELD employee, and now on the run. Even for someone with an ego as small as banners, that's gotta sting.

But really, there needs to be conflict, and not just banners internal conflict, but his externalisation of that. ie Hulk.

Who though? Abomination would mean another supersoldier program somewhere (snore), leader is gonna be so hard to pull off, he was just an anti-hulk gimmick anyway, right?

So, Doc Samson, but who is he? where's he come from. He's probably the most important person in the Hulk-verse. How is he gonna fit into it all?
 

SeAcoW

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
904
TheManWithoutFear said:
Since we know the Hulk Mini will come sooner or later? Right?

What do you think will take place within' the mini?

Solaris mentioned Betty Ross' loyalty to Banner in another thread. I think an interesting take on the mini would be partially from Ross' perspective. Rumors that the Hulk is alive and she does her own investigating, maybe even leaving The Ultimates.



Well, Shield might get a tip about Bruce being alive ( maby Bruce Turns to some old friend that then betrays Bruces and turns him in ) and then, because they don't want to get too much press on the case, instead of sending The Ultimates to spain they send Betty Ross as a represent of SHIELD and then The Union will be ready to attack. The Union is half the Celebs as the ultimates remember ! Betty Ross would be the perfect person to send in any case, 'cuz she is the only one that can get close to Bruce without him turning into hulk. Also Bruce might know how to control Hulk now, after many hours with Charles !
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
The Union? :roll:

Well I'm still thinkin' that Fury is responsible for Banner's survival. So SHIELD wouldn't go after Hulk. SHIELD would cover it up behind the scenes. Betty could stumble across something and search for him across the country following clues.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
Guijllons said:
This is tricky, the slightest rumour of banner hulking out is gonna get the ultimates over there in a shot, and they would probably win, they're pretty experienced in catching him now, and Hulk and the brightest of fellows.
Realistically speaking, wouldn't Banner have the technical skills AND insider know-how to circumvent SHIELD's tracking system, in the chance that he Hulks out?
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
compound said:
Realistically speaking, wouldn't Banner have the technical skills AND insider know-how to circumvent SHIELD's tracking system, in the chance that he Hulks out?
I wasn't talking about some genetic surge tracking satellite, I was talking about actual rumours. I'm sure that there is a team or 7 all dedicated to watching out for possible unauthorised genetic mutations. So if they pick up word that this giant green thing was walking about, Fury involved or not, they would have to look into it.
If you're 9ft tall, weigh a couple of ton, and are green. It's not gonna be teh easiest thing to keep yourself hidden. And who's he gonna send? The ultimates, who would probably win (as I said, they have the experience), and it's back to the secure compound for the Hulk. End of story.
Of course, they could try to kill him again, and him escape again, but that's a repeat of an idea. They could keep him in a secure compound in a different location that there is no chance he could escape from, but what if the press finds out that he didn't die when SHIEL have probably guaranteed that he is dead.

Like I said, tricky.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Guijllons said:
I wasn't talking about some genetic surge tracking satellite, I was talking about actual rumours. I'm sure that there is a team or 7 all dedicated to watching out for possible unauthorised genetic mutations. So if they pick up word that this giant green thing was walking about, Fury involved or not, they would have to look into it.
Like I said, tricky.

Sounds like when Pete went to Fury and Fury heard about Venom.

Still I think Fury's involved with the Hulk escapeing, so SHIELD will try to cover it up.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
TheManWithoutFear said:
Sounds like when Pete went to Fury and Fury heard about Venom.

Still I think Fury's involved with the Hulk escapeing, so SHIELD will try to cover it up.

Risk another coverup? I don't think so.
If anything, if could well be a story about secret SHIELD ops guys going to help banner resolve his problem. With hilarious consequences. Or tragic ones, either way.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
Guijllons said:
If you're 9ft tall, weigh a couple of ton, and are green. It's not gonna be teh easiest thing to keep yourself hidden.
I could've sworn he was gray. But, as you say, that's an aside.

How about this? Hide in plain sight. Wilfully become an urban legend, like the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and the Yeti. Then it would remain just that -- rumors.

I would think that, as the Hulk, Banner has heigtened survival instincts, despite his decreased mental capacity, in that form.

Giving SHIELD the runaround might actually provide an interesting story...
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Guijllons said:
Risk another coverup? I don't think so.
If anything, if could well be a story about secret SHIELD ops guys going to help banner resolve his problem. With hilarious consequences. Or tragic ones, either way.

I know it would be redundant but seriously I think it would say a lot about Fury's character. I mean everyone thinks he has no heart and personally I think he does. I think he let Banner live and is probably watching him.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
compound said:
I could've sworn he was gray. But, as you say, that's an aside.

How about this? Hide in plain sight. Wilfully become an urban legend, like the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and the Yeti. Then it would remain just that -- rumors.

I would think that, as the Hulk, Banner has heigtened survival instincts, despite his decreased mental capacity, in that form.

Giving SHIELD the runaround might actually provide an interesting story...

Even if Fury knows that Banner is alive, the departments under him will probably not, the departments over him will probably not. And I think that they will still be very wary of the talk that Banner is really dead. (Magneto turned up alive right?)
So even in plain sight, if word got back (which it would through everyone trying to make a buck from the media), we're back to the obvious conclusion.

Hulk is the strongest one there is, he says so himself, he can't be beaten in terms of strength, he has a healing factor. He also has one hell of an ego. Still masking Banners insecurity complex of course. "DON'T LEAVE BANNER ALONE AGAIN" he says in one frame. But, survival instinct? If he sees a tank, he'll take it out. That's how the Hulk survives, he's nothing if not proactive. Thinks with his gut, and does what he's angry about. I don't think this will extend to hiding behind a wall until the military have gone. Hulk is the strongest one there is after all, he isn't gonna hide.

And Fury mentions in one frame that the Hulk was green, the scenes we've seen him in have been pretty low light, and well, he isn't gonna be pea green is he really in this Universe.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
TheManWithoutFear said:
I know it would be redundant but seriously I think it would say a lot about Fury's character. I mean everyone thinks he has no heart and personally I think he does. I think he let Banner live and is probably watching him.
I agree with you, and he will cover up on his own level. He is bound to have his own private black ops guys that have an eye on him. But if things get too bad, if the cat is about to be let out of the bag again, I think Fury will take decisive action.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Guijllons said:
I agree with you, and he will cover up on his own level. He is bound to have his own private black ops guys that have an eye on him. But if things get too bad, if the cat is about to be let out of the bag again, I think Fury will take decisive action.

Personally I'd like to see this as an oppurtunity for some Fury/Ross interaction. I say that the rumors spill out and Thunderbolt wants to form a team to send after Hulk (Hulkbusters lead by Talbot). Fury is still trying to cover it up but Ross gets his way and there's a lot of tension between the two.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
TheManWithoutFear said:
Personally I'd like to see this as an oppurtunity for some Fury/Ross interaction. I say that the rumors spill out and Thunderbolt wants to form a team to send after Hulk (Hulkbusters lead by Talbot). Fury is still trying to cover it up but Ross gets his way and there's a lot of tension between the two.
This sounds very interesting.
We could see Ross and his guys, and Fury and his guys (if he has any), all going to encounter the Hulk for different reasons. And this is a good enough way to keep the main body of the Ultimates out of the picture. Black Black ops action a-go-go. I think this idea could be expanded on nicely.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
I've actually been obsessing about this with compound for a few months if only because an Ultimate mini that focuses less on Banner/Hulk and more on whatever investigative task team devoted to hunting down Ultimate Hulk would make a compelling excuse to Ultimatize aspects of the Hulkbusters that Thunderbolt Ross formed in 616.

If you really wanted to spend more focus on Ultimate Hulk, Ellis sets a precedent in Ultimate Fantastic Four by showing that the American military doesn't really have as much leeway in messing around in Europe. Remember when the Danish military tells the American military, "I think you took a wrong turn at Iraq?" That's what I'm getting at.

So far the Ultimates have only been shown overstepping both their original purpose AND their jurisdiction by cracking down on terrorists in regions that don't exactly have healthy relationships with the United States. Theoretically, Banner could get away with hiding around in Europe because sending the Ultimates or SHIELD over there would be minus points for diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Europe.

I know that Ultimate Glenn Talbot has already made previous appearances in the Ultimate universe, but I see no reason why they can't just contradict continuity and make him the frustrated military watchdog who is trying to hunt down Banner. I wouldn't mind having him written to be more sympathetic than his jackass 616 counterpart.

You could thus split the mini between the viewpoints of Banner's sympathetic sense of inferiority and his frustrated aspirations of contributing to science (making him a little more likeable and more in line with his 616 counterpart than Millar was able to show). AND Ultimate Talbot's sense of duty and obsessive need to psychoanalyze the Fugitive Post-Human that Banner is (making him closer to Investigative Reporter Jack McPhee from the 70s Bixby/Ferrigno Incredible Hulk television show).

More thoughts on this but this post is long enough.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
I feel this fugitive Banner thing where he's always on the run from the military and secret organisations has been done enough. (My suggestion was about Banners protection, so as not to confuse this as contradiction)

My feeling is that Banner will spend half of his time crying, and the other half of the time trying to resolve his problem. But how will he go about this?

We'll need to look at the personality of Banner a little. Coz I don't think he's as simple as we immediately presume. We have to do this to really understand what he will do next.

Banner states, supposedly posthumously, that the Ultimates were the best friends that he's ever had. So we can gather from that that he's low on the social skills area. But wait-a-minute, Betty Ross is a fine looking woman. And really, because we care so much about the Banner character, is this because he's a loser, or is it because he's actually quite charming? I think it's the latter, he has the charm or a spoilt child, and the tantrums to prove it. We feel pity on him, yet I feel he's perhaps a little more controlling (in that childlike way) than we have actually given him credit for.

So what will he do next? I feel that Banner has a jeffrey dahmer*type personality here. He's introspective and quiet when he's alone, but when he is on a mission, then he can be as charming as anyone. You think he got to be head of the SHIELD supersoldier program simply because he was bright? He would have maneuver himself into that position, because it was his dream. The polarity of the Banner character in himself, if far more interesting that the Banner/Hulk dynamic.

In the 616 universe, Banner cannot control the Hulk, it's his curse. I feel that in this universe, the Hulk is his way of absolving himself from responsibility of his actions, his tantrums. And through this, I feel that he will be able to control the Hulk a lot better, and induce the Hulk when needed. We know that Banner has turned into the Hulk a few times while in confinement, who are we to say that it was not just some way of seeking attention?

Frankly, Banner is a charming weasel.

So, if this is true, what does banner want to do next?
 

Latest posts

Top