Avengers Hulkling and Asgardian - are they or aren't they?

icemastertron said:
Anyways, getting back on topic (hint hint, nudge nudge), when would Allen bring the guys out the closet, than?
Well, that's perhaps less important than why he should keep them in the closet.

I don't know, is a gay character seen as titillation still?
Will it affect sales at all? The christian right dropping the book because of the characters and not the stories? The confused kid still coming to terms with himself will pick up the book for the first time because it has gay characters?

No, of course not. Well, one would hope.

(and yes I was being ironic in my descriptions before anyone decides to pick me up on anything)

icemastertron said:
Anyways, getting back on topic (hint hint, nudge nudge), when would Allen bring the guys out the closet, than?

Didn't it say it would be addressed around #12? I don't want to look aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way back on the first page...

UltimateE said:
Didn't it say it would be addressed around #12? I don't want to look aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way back on the first page...
Lol, I forget. Im too lazy to look too. :lol:

But maybe we will get more hints when his origin is told in #9, if anything hasnt been mentioned by than.

He wasn't planning on making it part of the story until issue 12 or so,

It could be moved up now that readers have discovered it.

Guijllons said:
I wish I was an Irish-American. Then I could be feel persecuted by the English.

True that! Down with those English bastards!

ProjectX2 said:
I wish I could turn burritos into kittens.

Why bother with that? Kittens are cute and all, but why give up a delicious burrito to bring another thing into this world which only eats, sleeps, loses fur and poops (at least a quarter of the time in a place they shouldn't)?

I can turn kittens into burritos. Sometimes you need extra hot sauce so the fur doesn't get stuck in your throat though.

DIrishB said:
Why bother with that? Kittens are cute and all, but why give up a delicious burrito to bring another thing into this world which only eats, sleeps, loses fur and poops (at least a quarter of the time in a place they shouldn't)?

So I could wait for Comic Book Guy off of The Simpsons to go to bite a burrito and with one click of my fingers, he bites into a furry kitten.

Guijllons said:
Well, that's perhaps less important than why he should keep them in the closet.

I don't know, is a gay character seen as titillation still?
Will it affect sales at all? The christian right dropping the book because of the characters and not the stories? The confused kid still coming to terms with himself will pick up the book for the first time because it has gay characters?

I think the more important question is, is the Christian Right reading "Young Avengers"? Or Comics in General?

Didn't they do the whole "Seduction of the Innocent" deal that ended with the Comics Code back in the 60's? I'm pretty sure they stay away from the comics....

And another important question, Am I a bad person for suddenly feeling like I should be reading this book because it has the first publicized gay relationship at Marvel?

By the way, It would seem that in Wolverine that Northstar's getting better. SHIELD knows how to Un-undeadify the Hand's Zombies.... hence Wolvie and Elektra not being dead.... But they still killed him FOUR times in TWO weeks!

And I thoroughly disaprove of Will & Grace, but acknowledge that it was the first Gay sitcom, and that is a BIG deal, and the Gay community has a lot to thank it for... Mostly changing the general publics idea of a Gay person from Drag Queens and Sluts, to more of a suit and tie type. Or the hyper-femmy type.... *shudder* But still. Its an improvement.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Didn't they do the whole "Seduction of the Innocent" deal that ended with the Comics Code back in the 60's? I'm pretty sure they stay away from the comics....

I'm surprised that a gay person would lump all "Christians" (or any crosssection of the population) into one group that freaks out over comics. Not all do - not at all. Whether or not a "Christian" or a group of them are responsible for "Seduction of the Innocent" doesn't mean all of them subscribe to it's premise.

I would've expected differently from you. :?

Dr.Strangefate said:
And another important question, Am I a bad person for suddenly feeling like I should be reading this book because it has the first publicized gay relationship at Marvel?

A bad person...no. But IMHO that's no reason to buy a comic book.

Read it because it's good - because it is.

UltimateE said:
I'm surprised that a gay person would lump all "Christians" (or any crosssection of the population) into one group that freaks out over comics. Not all do - not at all. Whether or not a "Christian" or a group of them are responsible for "Seduction of the Innocent" doesn't mean all of them subscribe to it's premise.

I would've expected differently from you. :?

I'm not generalizing all Christians, heck, I'm Catholic myself (not too happy with Pope Benny in Rome, but who is, really?)... When I say the Christian Right, I mean the Evangelical Activist types. The one who go out of their way to show other people that their ideas are wrong, and display a generally hateful additude to ANYTHING that isn't their own beliefs.

The Christian Right is like, Jerry Farwell, and the guys behind godhates***s.com, and godhatesamerica.com.... Not the average church-goer, or even the average Republican... No one who actually follows what the Bible clearly says about loving your neighbor, and all that jazz, essentially...

Thats what i've always thought the term to mean, I've always read it that way, at least...

Dr.Strangefate said:
I'm not generalizing all Christians, heck, I'm Catholic myself (not too happy with Pope Benny in Rome, but who is, really?)... When I say the Christian Right, I mean the Evangelical Activist types. The one who go out of their way to show other people that their ideas are wrong, and display a generally hateful additude to ANYTHING that isn't their own beliefs.

The Christian Right is like, Jerry Farwell, and the guys behind godhates***s.com, and godhatesamerica.com.... Not the average church-goer, or even the average Republican... No one who actually follows what the Bible clearly says about loving your neighbor, and all that jazz, essentially...

Thats what i've always thought the term to mean, I've always read it that way, at least...

Understood - but there is a huge difference between "Christian Right" and "Christian Extremist".

UltimateE said:
Understood - but there is a huge difference between "Christian Right" and "Christian Extremist".

:? I had thought that "The Christian Right" was basically the politically correct way to refer to the extremists...

I understand that right-winged christians are the norm, but I thought using the term only indicated the far right....

:( I really, honestly didn't want to be offensive to anyone...

Dr.Strangefate said:
And I thoroughly disaprove of Will & Grace, but acknowledge that it was the first Gay sitcom, and that is a BIG deal, and the Gay community has a lot to thank it for... Mostly changing the general publics idea of a Gay person from Drag Queens and Sluts, to more of a suit and tie type. Or the hyper-femmy type.... *shudder* But still. Its an improvement.

I disagree. The hyper-femmy type of gay is one of the key draws of that show. I think it's just as bad as anything that came before, and they think they're being groundbreaking and 'important' when in fact, they are retarded.

I can't stand the popularising of gay 'culture' that creates metrosexuals. It's ****ing pathetic and a ruse by the crab people.

Y'know, we had a TV show in the UK called Red Dwarf. It was amusing in some places, hysterical in others for six seasons. The seventh and eighth seasons were poop sadly. But here's the thing; the sitcom was set on a Jupiter mining corporation ship called "Red Dwarf". Dave Lister is a z-shift technician, along with his bunkmate Arnold Rimmer, and they keep the vending machines in check. Lister has a cat on board, which is a quarantine risk. Refusing to give up the cat, he is put in stasis for the rest of the trip (a few months) where he will forfeit his pay as a result. However, the drive plate to the ship malfunctions and the crew is killed by a radiation leak, except for Lister who is safe in stasis. Three million years later, the artificial intelligence computer, Holly, wakes Lister up and explains that everyone is dead and they are lost in space, three million years later. Holly then brings back one of the dead crew to keep Lister company, Arnold Rimmer, his bunkmate... who didn't seal the drive plate properly... and Lister hates him. Holly explains that Lister spoke more to him than anyone else, but Lister explains that all those conversations were him telling Rimmer to "smeg off". Lister and Rimmer discover a humanoid on the ship, who is descended from Lister's cat in the same way man evolved from ape. They call him Cat. They find on their journey a wonderful butler android called Kryten. So, the show is about a butler android, dead hologram, human cat, and the last human alive trawling through space with nothing to do. It's very funny, but here's the thing: The android and hologram are white. The cat and human are black. Not once, NOT ONCE, in EIGHT years of the show is it EVER brought up. There isn't the 'racism' episode, race never even enters into it. Scour the series, they don't mention race once, and until it was mentioned in a documentary, none of us watching had noticed either.

This is how you do it.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Y'know, we had a TV show in the UK called Red Dwarf. It was amusing in some places, hysterical in others for six seasons. The seventh and eighth seasons were poop sadly. But here's the thing; the sitcom was set on a Jupiter mining corporation ship called "Red Dwarf". Dave Lister is a z-shift technician, along with his bunkmate Arnold Rimmer, and they keep the vending machines in check. Lister has a cat on board, which is a quarantine risk. Refusing to give up the cat, he is put in stasis for the rest of the trip (a few months) where he will forfeit his pay as a result. However, the drive plate to the ship malfunctions and the crew is killed by a radiation leak, except for Lister who is safe in stasis. Three million years later, the artificial intelligence computer, Holly, wakes Lister up and explains that everyone is dead and they are lost in space, three million years later. Holly then brings back one of the dead crew to keep Lister company, Arnold Rimmer, his bunkmate... who didn't seal the drive plate properly... and Lister hates him. Holly explains that Lister spoke more to him than anyone else, but Lister explains that all those conversations were him telling Rimmer to "smeg off". Lister and Rimmer discover a humanoid on the ship, who is descended from Lister's cat in the same way man evolved from ape. They call him Cat. They find on their journey a wonderful butler android called Kryten. So, the show is about a butler android, dead hologram, human cat, and the last human alive trawling through space with nothing to do. It's very funny, but here's the thing: The android and hologram are white. The cat and human are black. Not once, NOT ONCE, in EIGHT years of the show is it EVER brought up. There isn't the 'racism' episode, race never even enters into it. Scour the series, they don't mention race once, and until it was mentioned in a documentary, none of us watching had noticed either.

This is how you do it.
...****. HTey never did bring up race, did they? Damn. More kudos for Red Dwarf. And not to hyjack the thread, but what ever happened to the Red Dwarf movie they were talking about? Is it still a go?

And Strangefate, you should be reading Young Avengers because its been one of the most consistantly entertaining comics releasd since its launch. And it has Kang. KANG MAN! KANG!

UltimateE said:
Ok, since I brought up the guys, and with a disclaimer too (read up, it's there) I'll sort it out.

People should stop getting offended over silly trivial details like race or sexuality. The Christian right, those that are scared of dirty words in rock music and mans willies and real life and atheists and any expression that isn't bland, deserve to be poked and annoyed. Extremists? Nah, I don't see them as extremists. I just see them as wimps that can't accept life the way it is and need to reduce it into small tidy anal pieces.

So, that's the Christian right sorted out.

And if you wanna talk about minorities, try being an atheist in America. Now there is a group that receives constant attack and no-one complains.

More positive Atheists in comics!!

You want a minority with no people clamouring to their aid?

Women bodybuilders.

:mrgreen:

People who come right to the last page of this thread are going to think we're talking about whether Hulkling and Asgardian are Christian, instead of gay.

Latest posts

Back