Introducing TPBWiki

hey, did you ever work on the chronology template?

i figured something simple out. Feel free to play with it, but here's what I came up with:

Template:Chronology
the code looks like this:
{|style="padding: 10px; font-size:10px; border: 1px solid #778FE1; width: 100%; margin-top:10px; background-color:#CCD5F4;"
|-
! align="left"|[[{{{previous_volume}}}|<< {{{previous_volume}}}]]
! align="right"| [[{{{following_volume}}}|{{{following_volume}}} >>]]
|}

the template used on the page looks like this:

{{Chronology
|previous_volume=
|following_volume=
}}

and the finished result can be found at the bottom of the Essential Amazing Spider-Man Vol.2 page

the only thing that I'm not sure about is how to break the link if the book is the first or last volume in a series without making two new templates. I think we may need a second template that deals with logic statements (if/then) to put into the chronology template. But I'm not sure.

EDIT:after playing around with a couple of different things and having none of them work, i decided to make the template more simple. Right now the template is a box with no built in links and you just add the links (or don't if there's nothing to link to) when you put it in the page.

so the template is now
{|style="padding: 10px; font-size:10px; border: 1px solid #778FE1; width: 100%; margin-top:10px; background-color:#CCD5F4;"
|-
! align="left"|{{{previous_volume}}}
! align="right"|{{{following_volume}}}
|}
It's less elegant, but it works.

Last edited:
That...is perfect. Awesome. Thanks.

I totally forgot you had asked me to look at that - sorry. But it looks good.

That...is perfect. Awesome. Thanks.

I totally forgot you had asked me to look at that - sorry. But it looks good.
'twas nothing...well that's not true, it took me ages, but i eventually figured it out by taking a template used by another wiki site and modifying it.

and I'm glad you like it.

and no worries about forgetting.

and i made two more templates that allow for two or three previous/following volumes (e.g. The Other)

I'm not sure that looks as nice as I'd like, but again, it works.

The templates are called:
Template:Chronology2
Template:Chronology3

EDIT: by the way, you may want to do a search for "insurance" and delete the pages that come up...

Last edited:
'twas nothing...well that's not true, it took me ages, but i eventually figured it out by taking a template used by another wiki site and modifying it.

and I'm glad you like it.

and no worries about forgetting.

and i made two more templates that allow for two or three previous/following volumes (e.g. The Other)

I'm not sure that looks as nice as I'd like, but again, it works.

The templates are called:
Template:Chronology2
Template:Chronology3

EDIT: by the way, you may want to do a search for "insurance" and delete the pages that come up...

I got one of them that you blanked out yesterday - thanks. I'll see what more I can find.

I will look closer at those templates and see how they work to get them on other pages.

So i've been posting on the Marvel boards again and finding opportunities to talk about trades and hcs in which certain stories are collected and then linking to their page on tpbwiki. Hopefully this strategy will attract some attention to the site.

Last edited:
ummm, I didn't sleep tonight...you may want to take a look at the main page. If you don't like it feel free to change it back.

if the colours are too much, it's easy to change. actually, if you go back in the history you can check out some less audacious colour schemes I tried previously.

and here are lots of other colour codes:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_color_formatting_help
http://wikieducator.org/Color_Codes

I like the tables and the idea of adding color. I will probably play around with some other colors but yeah - I was hoping to incorporate things I've seen in other wikis like article of the day and things like that.

The other day I changed it so that no new people can register (and already had it set so only logged in users could make changes). It was all of the junk we were getting - you've seen at least some of it. It was out of control and hard to keep up with. There are add ons that will help cut those things down but the couple that I've tried haven't been working, and I haven't had a chance to try some of the other ones I've found. But thanks for bringing attention to it on other boards.

I like the tables and the idea of adding color. I will probably play around with some other colors but yeah - I was hoping to incorporate things I've seen in other wikis like article of the day and things like that.

The other day I changed it so that no new people can register (and already had it set so only logged in users could make changes). It was all of the junk we were getting - you've seen at least some of it. It was out of control and hard to keep up with. There are add ons that will help cut those things down but the couple that I've tried haven't been working, and I haven't had a chance to try some of the other ones I've found. But thanks for bringing attention to it on other boards.

sounds good. Yeah, i'm sure all the spammers have been frustrating. I honestly don't even understand the motivation to spam a wiki site.

I was trying to go with a vintage comic feel for the logo (with the caption box and fonts and bright colours). I think it would be cool if we could figure out how to make the site feel like the pages are comics (boxes that look like panels and such).

Anyway, I'm enjoying tinkering with this and learning new stuff. I'll probably continue to try things, but i'll let you know what i've done. It's your site and I'm not offended if you change things around or completely revert stuff I've done.

Last edited:
sounds good. Yeah, i'm sure all the spammers have been frustrating. I honestly don't even understand the motivation to spam a wiki site.

I was trying to go with a vintage comic feel for the logo (with the caption box and fonts and bright colours). I think it would be cool if we could figure out how to make the site feel like the pages are comics (boxes that look like panels and such).

Anyway, I'm enjoying tinkering with this and learning new stuff. I'll probably continue to try things, but i'll let you know what i've done. It's your site and I'm not offended if you change things around or completely revert stuff I've done.

You've done some cool and useful stuff, so thanks.

Awesome idea. Just wondering though, when will people be able to join up to help add stuff? I ask because there is a lot of stuff missing that I own that I could contribute.

Hi Joe - I'd be glad to create an account for you. Could you send me a private message here with the email, username, and password you want to register with? I had to close registrations because there aren't enough administrators to combat the level of spam accounts. I really should put a notice about contacting me to add accounts, but in the meantime just send me some registration info and I'll set it up manually for you. Thanks for contributing.

I've been slowly trying to get back into new additions the last few days.

Cap Canuck - could really use your expertise on the Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate Comics Spider-Man stuff. I have no idea what is going on with those books.

I've been slowly trying to get back into new additions the last few days.

Cap Canuck - could really use your expertise on the Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate Comics Spider-Man stuff. I have no idea what is going on with those books.

I'm getting married on Saturday… I'll take a look in a few weeks!

I'm getting married on Saturday… I'll take a look in a few weeks!

Um...you need to step back and ask yourself which is really important here. It's just a wedding. Lots of people have a couple of those. This website is one of a kind.

I'm getting married on Saturday&hellip; I'll take a look in a few weeks!

Congrats, Cap!

Um...you need to step back and ask yourself which is really important here. It's just a wedding. Lots of people have a couple of those. This website is one of a kind.

Is it possible to award yourself Post of the Day?

Latest posts

Back