Introducing TPBWiki

E

Excelsior Club
I'm starting a new site that I hope will get a lot of participation, because I think it's a good idea and could be very helpful.

The site is called TPBWiki and is found at TPBWiki.com. The intention is to create a comprehensive collection of information about trade paperback and hardcover collections, graphic novels, and other collections - past and present, in and out of print.

I would like to include as much information as is possible, including a listing of issues collected in each volume, creator information, publication dates, number of printings, etc.

Anyone who might have something to share or add is welcome to do so. It's a standard wiki using the same software as Wikipedia and it's easy to edit.

I'll definitely update it with all of the trades I own.

It would also be helpful to look at Amazon, the TP List and the Comic Database for further information.

Last edited:
I would probably just type up the blurb on the back.

That's what I'm thinking. Most of them come with a publisher's summary - I'm not sure if it's always the same as what's on the back or not. Amazon usually has them.

And yes, those sources are all good to use. The idea is to get all of the info in one place, and include other information like different covers.

What I would like to do also is use templates to standardize the pages. I'm having trouble grasping the concept of templates in MediaWiki so anyone who is familiar with that who can help out would be greatly appreciated.

You can look and see that I've got a few things started, categorized by publisher, but I was hoping to be much more broad and also categorize by artist, writer, etc.

Keep in mind that there's so much out there and a lot of the work is in gathering info from various sources...it's just as easy to update with what you don't own as it is what you do. The purpose is not to review or summarize - most of the time the summaries are already available and supplied by the publishers themselves.

So what is the purpose then? Just a site where everything is easily available?

Right. Each entry will contain summary, list of included issues, creative team, covers (inc. alt. covers). I've also pulled info from solits and Amazon with page count, ISBN number, and even weight.

Some books contain mistakes (or fix mistakes in the issues) - that could be included as well.

Okay, was looking at the wiki, made an account. How to I make an entry?

This is great. I don't know how many times I've went to my library to check out a TPB and didn't know which one should be read next. Since they're not numbered in any sort of sensible fashion.

Is there any site or set of instructions that teach basic addition and editing techniques on a wiki for beginners? I've never worked on one of these things before, and rather than spending hours on trial and error, I'd rather just get a decent tutorial.

Okay, was looking at the wiki, made an account. How to I make an entry?

Is there any site or set of instructions that teach basic addition and editing techniques on a wiki for beginners? I've never worked on one of these things before, and rather than spending hours on trial and error, I'd rather just get a decent tutorial.

The wiki runs on MediaWiki, the same software that runs Wikipedia.

MediaWiki has a good tutorial on just about everything - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents

Thanks to those that have begun contributing. I'm excited for this because I think it can be extremely informative.

The Alias Omnibus page is being used as a model for how pages should look and be structured.

The Community Portal page has some basic information on the goals of the site and how to assemble pages. Anyone who can contribute would be appreciated - there's a LOT of information to be added.

Does anyone know how to create/implement templates in the MediaWiki system?

Things are coming along nicely but could use some help...anyone who wants to contribute is more than welcome.

I figured out the template system....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back