Introducing TPBWiki

i just noticed the BookInfo template doesn't let you put in dimensions and weight, are we just leaving that info out now?

Yes - I didn't think there was any point. I just had it in earlier because Amazon had it. It's pretty worthless information.

another question:

if there are two editions of a book, they have the same cover art, and the exact same contents, but different ISBN numbers, do we include them both?

EDIT: oh, they also jacked the price by $2.04, I guess that's the difference. I'll put both editions for now.

Last edited:
another question:

if there are two editions of a book, they have the same cover art, and the exact same contents, but different ISBN numbers, do we include them both?

EDIT: oh, they also jacked the price by $2.04, I guess that's the difference. I'll put both editions for now.

I always use both editions because usually that indicates one is out of print.

I just had a thought - what if this was expanded to include issues as well? Covers, summaries, creative team info, publishing notes, etc. And each issue could have a list of TPBs it appears in. The focus would still be on TPBs and graphic novels, but this way it could include more info.

I have two thoughts about that.

1) I don't know how many people are involved in editing tpb wiki but so far it doesn't seem like there are very many. I think with just a handful of editors the tpb/graphic novel aspect is a big enough task. Once the site takes off, adding single issues may be more doable.

2) I kind of feel like tpbwiki has it's own niche on the web. I don't know of any other sites that focus on the tpb/graphic novel details. But there are other sites that have info on single issues. Comicvine.com comes to mind immediately.

But anyway, it's your site. Those are just my two cents. And they're Canadian so it's more like 1.87 cents.

Good points. I haven't done anything to promote the site so there really aren't many people that have done much to it.

my brain's fried from working on this for too long.

By the way, I declare myself the general Spider-Man editor.

Wow. Yeah. That's some work you did there.

I'm thinking about posting about this on a couple other boards and seeing if I can drum up more involvement.

do it!

is it just you and me working on it at the moment?

Pretty much.

"Advertising" is hard to do without seeming like a spammer. My dilemma is that I wouldn't like it done here.

yeah, i can see that.

Well I think it's a really cool site, (except that i'm wasting my life on it right now). Hopefully it will catch on.

yeah, i can see that.

Well I think it's a really cool site, (except that i'm wasting my life on it right now). Hopefully it will catch on.

I'm glad. You've done amazing work on it and I'm grateful.

I've been researching display changes. Making things look less blah and more dynamic, like Wikipedia. They have random featured articles and whatnot. I'm totally confused. There's a lot to learn.

Also, I've been thinking about the inclusion of dates in the release info. Here's the problem - we are (mostly) pulling release date info from Amazon, but the dates on Amazon are usually, as far as I can tell, the dates that Amazon gets the book, which is not always the "real" release date. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. And I'm not sure what to do about that because I think having the release date is important. But in many cases it doesn't look like there is a standard "release date" for graphic novels like there are for CDs or movies.

For example, Amazon has a date for Brand New Day Vol. 2. But if you look it up on ISBNDB.com it has a release date of c.2008.

For Ultimate Human, ISBNDB.com had the same date as Amazon.

So...yeah. I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe just put a disclaimer on the site that the dates aren't meant to be literal or exact? I don't know.

yeah, the dates are a problem. I'm trying to think if books even have the month listed in the copyright info in them. They might just have years.

But the conclusion I've come to is that sometimes the publishers say a book is going to ship at a certain time and then there is a delay. That happens with Marvel all the time. If I'm looking for a new tpb that is coming out soon and marvel.com lists that it's coming out in May but amazon lists June, Amazon is always correct.

So, do you want the publish date the publishers wrote in the book or the date it was actually shipped out to retailers and available to sellers?

Maybe it would make more sense to just list the publish year. Sometimes that's all I've been able to find on the older stuff anyway.

I am so proud. I just spent over 2 hours - at 3 AM, no less - researching and organizing the history (and publication history) of Ghost Rider. The biggest hangup was figuring out what the first volume was - it was a different character than the head-on-fire Ghost Rider and has been retconned and renamed "Phantom Rider". Matching that stuff up was a nightmare but that's exactly why I made this site.

yeah, the dates are a problem. I'm trying to think if books even have the month listed in the copyright info in them. They might just have years.

But the conclusion I've come to is that sometimes the publishers say a book is going to ship at a certain time and then there is a delay. That happens with Marvel all the time. If I'm looking for a new tpb that is coming out soon and marvel.com lists that it's coming out in May but amazon lists June, Amazon is always correct.

So, do you want the publish date the publishers wrote in the book or the date it was actually shipped out to retailers and available to sellers?

Maybe it would make more sense to just list the publish year. Sometimes that's all I've been able to find on the older stuff anyway.

Amazon is always right for dates they receive books. Actually, they aren't always right - many times they get the books earlier than they think they will. Comic retailers get the books first, then bookstores get them later. So the dates on the solits might very well be right, assuming they are giving dates that the comic stores get them.

I think I would like it and it would be more useful if it were a little more specific than just the year. At the very least it should have the month, too. Of course, than you get into the whole thing about the difference between Amazon and comic stores at the beginning/end of the month and things carrying over, but the more I look at this the more it seems that there really is no such thing as a singular publication date for these books. Different types of stores get books at different times, and a) no one time is "right and b) there doesn't seem to be a standard time frame between when, say, the local comic store gets a book and Amazon or Borders gets it.

So I think the way to handle this is to just use the date that you see from the source you use. If you get the info from Amazon, use that. If you get it from a solicitation or from the book itself, use that. I'll just have to figure out how/where to put a note up that the dates are not absolute and should only be used as guides.

I am so proud. I just spent over 2 hours - at 3 AM, no less - researching and organizing the history (and publication history) of Ghost Rider. The biggest hangup was figuring out what the first volume was - it was a different character than the head-on-fire Ghost Rider and has been retconned and renamed "Phantom Rider". Matching that stuff up was a nightmare but that's exactly why I made this site.
awesome, it looks good.

I just finished the last page for Amazing Spider-Man vol1 (before the reboot) tpbs.
I dare anyone to find one i missed!

(besides the Marvel Masterworks or Marvel visionaries/legends.)
Amazon is always right for dates they receive books. Actually, they aren't always right - many times they get the books earlier than they think they will. Comic retailers get the books first, then bookstores get them later. So the dates on the solits might very well be right, assuming they are giving dates that the comic stores get them.

I think I would like it and it would be more useful if it were a little more specific than just the year. At the very least it should have the month, too. Of course, than you get into the whole thing about the difference between Amazon and comic stores at the beginning/end of the month and things carrying over, but the more I look at this the more it seems that there really is no such thing as a singular publication date for these books. Different types of stores get books at different times, and a) no one time is "right and b) there doesn't seem to be a standard time frame between when, say, the local comic store gets a book and Amazon or Borders gets it.

So I think the way to handle this is to just use the date that you see from the source you use. If you get the info from Amazon, use that. If you get it from a solicitation or from the book itself, use that. I'll just have to figure out how/where to put a note up that the dates are not absolute and should only be used as guides.

sounds good to me. I generally have just been using the date I find on amazon. They don't always have a day, but almost always have a month and year. If amazon doesn't have a month, and i find it somewhere else I use that one.

EDIT: by the way, every Marvel Omnibus I've come across has two versions. Usually one is just a variant cover, sometimes with a modern rendition of the cover used on the main book.

However, sometimes the other version has a completely different cover and in the cases I've come across, the second version is absolutely impossible to find any info on.
I've had that with the Secret Wars II McGuinness cover, the captain britain by alan moore original costume cover and the Howard the Duck alternate cover.

I think these versions are the direct-market versions, but I don't know if that's what's making the difference or why it would.

Have you come across this?

Last edited:
I just finished the last page for Amazing Spider-Man vol1 (before the reboot) tpbs.
I dare anyone to find one i missed!

Niiiiice!

Have you come across this?

Yes. I had the exact same problem. I also had the problem when ordering, because I would never have bought that hideous Ed McGuiness cover of the Secret Wars 2 Omnibus if I had a choice.

I can't remember if I checked the Marvel solit to see if they listed a different ISBN for the variant. But that would be the way to do it. If they list iven the ISBN-10 you can use that to search Amazon and get the ISBN-13 no. and other info. Maybe not a cover scan though. Seems like I would've tried that, but I can't remember for sure.

some of the marvel solits list isbns and some don't

the howard the duck omnibus has the isbn-13, and i searched amazon, book finder, google, etc and i got a few hits for the book (not on amazon) but none of them had the isbn-10.

and wait, the McGuinness cover is the variant, right? the one with cap, spidey, hulk, wolverine, iron man, and the beyonder on it? not the one that's just the regular cover from the comic.

You ordered of amazon and got that one? that's the one i couldn't find any info for. (you want to fill in the isbns for it?)

EDIT: also, i was just looking at the page that someone else (probably you) did for Marvel Masterworks Spider-Man vol 1. The page has a date for every printing of every edition. I haven't been doing that for anything else and I don't see myself doing it going forward. If the different editions (different isbn #s) were published on different dates then obviously I'll list those, but to be honest I wouldn't even know where to begin tracking down the dates for every printing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back