Avengers Invincible Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Iron Man gets second ongoing

Point...however, with Tony Stark it makes sense. He's the head of SHIELD and therefore is the "head" of the Avengers. It's not like Wolverine, who is just a guy.
But like Tony Stark, he is the best at what he does. :p

Point...however, with Tony Stark it makes sense. He's the head of SHIELD and therefore is the "head" of the Avengers. It's not like Wolverine, who is just a guy.
I was just making a joke....:?

Last edited:

I'm so getting this.

I mean its freaking fraction.

I'm not sure the Iron Man concept can handle two titles. Iron Man had suffered from sub-standard writing for most of his history and he tended to get dated much quicker than other characters. Iron Man was first created to be the Ultimate cold warrior, so half of his rogues gallery became irrelevant in 91 and the other half became irrelevant because of Iron Man's power creep.

I think you want to have two monthly Iron Man titles, someone should revamp his rogues gallery. Some of his villains are interesting concepts (Controller, Ghost, Living Laser, etc) but they need to be written as threats, perhaps given a tech upgrade or something. Perhaps update some of the comunist villains as well, lke a Crimson Dynamo who is a Russian nationalist.

I'm not sure the Iron Man concept can handle two titles. Iron Man had suffered from sub-standard writing for most of his history and he tended to get dated much quicker than other characters. Iron Man was first created to be the Ultimate cold warrior, so half of his rogues gallery became irrelevant in 91 and the other half became irrelevant because of Iron Man's power creep.

I think you want to have two monthly Iron Man titles, someone should revamp his rogues gallery. Some of his villains are interesting concepts (Controller, Ghost, Living Laser, etc) but they need to be written as threats, perhaps given a tech upgrade or something. Perhaps update some of the comunist villains as well, lke a Crimson Dynamo who is a Russian nationalist.

But isn't the current Crimson Dynamo a hero?

I guess we could change the title of this thread to The Invincible Ironman (Spoilers) in order to talk about this. You know....instead of making a new thread.

It was........interesting. The story is intriguing enough to hold my interest for the time being.

The whole story covers Tony's Top 5 fears thru thought boxes. Counting them down.

The story opens in Africa. A couple girls are giggling and crowding around one of the girls' new camera phone. All of sudden, a truck barrels down the street, right into the public, and 3 guys get out. They open their shirts and we see glowing lights on their chest and in the palm of their hands (just like Iron Man). Then they go boom like a suicide bombs. Killing everyone around them. Including the girls.

We then cut to Iron Man in space, repairing a space shuttle. Then cut again to later where Tony is doing a little playboy routine with some blonde with a horribly thick accent. But his "fun time" is cut short by official SHIELD work. Tony is briefed on the incident in Africa and he starts running down possible actions and repsonses.

Meanwhile in NY, Ezekiel Stane is inside some huge building for a business meeting. He rambles on about how smart he is and what he's created from the businessmen's money. He rips off the skin from his hand to show a slightly modified hand laser (much like Iron Man's). He then blows away all the businessmen and jumps out the window.

Then we cut back to Tony on the helicarrier. Tony is having a convo with Rhodes about what the attack in Africa was. Tony tells Rhodes that his ideas are wrong and that he'll get back with him later. Tony goes into a private room and has a program luanch a map of the world. Showing on the map is every single person who has iron tech suits based on the designs stolen from Tony long ago. Tony is now keeping track of all of them. And he comes to a horrible conclusion...none of the individuals listed had anything to do with the attack. It's someone new.

Cut back to Stane. He's in a limo talking to his assitant. It's mostly banter, but it boils down to the fact that Stane is responsible for the tech behind the African attacks.

Cutting back to Tony, we see him talking to Pepper (who looks a lot like Nicole Kidman with red hair....way to go Larocca). Tony and Pepper banter back and forth but in the midst of the banter Tony tells Pepper he wants her to monitor a diagnostic on the suit while he and a SHIELD squad raid a AIM cell. In the middle of the raid, Pepper uploads the restored video from the camera phone found at the site of the attack. Tony says his #1 nightmare has come true.....IronMan 2.0 is here----and he wasn't the one that made it.

This book is going to have a new M.O.D.O.K. in it, a M.O.D.O.G. a Mental Organism Designed Only for Genocide

It was average, but I'd prefer the artist back on newuniversal.

This kind of sucked. Tony's Top 5 reminded me of High Fidelity. Except that was really good and this barely held my attention all the way through. The villain blew up a bunch of innocent people, executed a room full of people, and jumped from 44 stories up and was essentially uninjured. All of this should have made him interesting. It didn't. At all. "Gee, should I wear socks?" Lame.

Also, having your psychotic mass murdering villain rant for a whole page about how evil big tobacco is wasn't terribly subtle. It's one thing to have an edict that keeps characters from smoking, but to go out of your way to turn your comics into a printed version of those annoying Truth commercials is a bit much. When I want Matt Fraction's opinions on smoking I'll ****ing ask him for them. Until then he should drop the retarded social commentary and focus on making his villains not suck.

Last edited:
...focus on making his villains not suck.

My biggest worry right now is that this is the second book he's on that has had Stane as the main villain. All the madness from The Order all lead to Stane. And now this book.

Stane isn't that great a villain. But I'm trying to remain optimistic since Fraction did so well on Iron Fist.

Just read issue #1.

It was awesome. Best Iron Man since Extremis.

The art looks fantastic and I like the characterizations. I never thought Pepper wore a thong. Hott.

The concept of Stane engineering Iron Man 2.0 is cool and was well done.

I read some of the first issue but couldn't get through it. I really didn't like it at all. :/

I re-read the issue a couple times over the past 2 weeks. Like a lot of Fraction's stories, they get better upon repeated sittings. I honestly think the concept is awesome and really trying to make Stane a huge threat to Tony now that he's a global power now is brilliant.

I'm totally looking forward to more.

On that note---I'm gonna go read Extremis again. :D

I liked #2. MODOG! Iron Man threw his little body into space. :(

Tony and Thor meet again. He chipped the suit.

And Manilla got wiped from the map. Poor ourchair.

I liked #2. MODOG! Iron Man threw his little body into space. :(

Tony and Thor meet again. He chipped the suit.

And Manilla got wiped from the map. Poor ourchair.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get a Legacy Hero on The Wishing Man.

Latest posts

Back