iPod Help

Bass

Nexus of the World
So I got an iPod and it's pissing me off.

When it copies things to it's hard disc, it hides them and renames them in this fashion "OQW2" and "NKR3" or what-have-you.

When I select to make the hidden folder non-hidden, it hides it again once I reconnect the iPod.

Does anyone know how to get the files off the iPod and onto a computer's hard disk and have the files be named correctly? I tried to rip it from media player, but that doesn't work. Nor does "copy" in iTunes, because it won't give me the paste option.

How can I get the iPod to let me copy those files onto a hard disc and keep the original file names that it calls them in iTunes?

Are you talking about normal document/other files, or music files? :?

I'm talking about music files.

I'm just downloading this anapod thing. See if it works.

Bass said:
I'm talking about music files.

I'm just downloading this anapod thing. See if it works.

When you view the properties of a music file, does it have the tabbed bar where you can edit things like, "Song, Artist, Album" etc.? If I download music, most of the time I edit the properties, so when it gets uploaded to the iPod, it's called what I want it to be called.

Otherwise, I don't know what's happening.

I had this problem a while ago, but I found an easy solution. Here's what you do, Bass:

1. Take your iPod. Place it in a crystal wine glass filled with pig's blood.

2. Light seven (must be seven) white candles and place them around the glass.

3. Place exactly 13 human skulls in an evenly spaced circle around your computer set up, facing inward.

4. Place your computer set up and iPod about 6 feet away from each other.

5. At the halfway point between the computer and the iPod, place a common, household concrete slab and carve a large pentagram into it.

6. Take your Blood Dagger of Zimnah and slice open one of your wrists. Fill the carved pentagram indentation with your own blood, creating a Blood Pentagram.

7. Take a 6 inch by 6 inch drawing of the Dark Lord Kromdor, light it on fire, and place it atop the Blood Pentagram slab.

8. Invoke Kromdor's name in the 18th Chant of Zakataffes as the picture burns.

9. Once the chant is over, the drawing has been burned completely, and the candles have melted, check your computer! The files should be there and named correctly.

I hope my information helped!

It's not so much that - but that I can't copy anything off the iPod back onto my hard drive without going into the hidden folders where they're named stupidly.

That's the problem.

Right, so **** anapod.

I've spent ages trying to download the bastard, and every one I tried to download didn't work.

Personally, unless iPod's start coming with "PLUS! INCAPABLE OF DOING BASIC FUNCTIONS FOR A $50 MP3 PLAYER!" stamped across them, I refuse to pay $1 (let alone $30) for a programme that lets me do what my old 256mb mp3 player could do.

How on earth do they think it's okay to make it impossible for you to copy files FROM your iPod back to your computer? It's sick that iTunes doesn't let you do this, and it's sick the iPod isn't constructed properly. And it's sick that I'm supposed to fork out more money for a programme that lets me do it. Enough money has been spent on the ****er as it is.

Neverthless, I found a free programme calle EphPod that seems to do the trick - copying from my iPod back to my computer.

As I've spent the last 2 hours looking to upgrade my iPod to the level of my old 256mb mp3 player, I'll be copying all those songs back to my hard drive tomorrow, to free up my iPod.

If it doesn't work, you will hear the screams.

Night.

Last edited:
moonmaster said:
I had this problem a while ago, but I found an easy solution. Here's what you do, Bass:

1. Take your iPod. Place it in a crystal wine glass filled with pig's blood.

2. Light seven (must be seven) white candles and place them around the glass.

3. Place exactly 13 human skulls in an evenly spaced circle around your computer set up, facing inward.

4. Place your computer set up and iPod about 6 feet away from each other.

5. At the halfway point between the computer and the iPod, place a common, household concrete slab and carve a large pentagram into it.

6. Take your Blood Dagger of Zimnah and slice open one of your wrists. Fill the carved pentagram indentation with your own blood, creating a Blood Pentagram.

7. Take a 6 inch by 6 inch drawing of the Dark Lord Kromdor, light it on fire, and place it atop the Blood Pentagram slab.

8. Invoke Kromdor's name in the 18th Chant of Zakataffes as the picture burns.

9. Once the chant is over, the drawing has been burned completely, and the candles have melted, check your computer! The files should be there and named correctly.

I hope my information helped!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post of the day.

As for Bass's problem - maybe I'm not understanding...are you trying to copy songs to the iPod as data files?

I've never used the "hard drive" feature, so if that's the case I can't be of much help. I do know that if you are copying music to the iPod as a file instead of as a song, you will not be able to play the song on the iPod.

And yes, you aren't allowed to copy music from the iPod to the computer. This was done to appease the record companies, because you are allowed to take the iPod to another computer and copy songs onto it without having to create a partnership. But as you've already found there are ways around this "feature".

iPods are ****. Thats why.

Btw, does anyone know how to delete your Itunes library without doing it one by one? Stupid heap of junk saves links to song locations & not the songs....

First of all - Mooney, I only have the ancient bone saber of Zoomakalis, so your ritual won't work for me.

Second of all, I am just trying to copy files from my iPod to my computer. The kind of thing I used to do all the time with my mp3 player which I miss a little more every day.

So **** you iPod.

Also, EphPod seems easy enough to work. I'm just about to to an 18gb copy now...

iPods have two configurations, an mp3 player mode and an exteernal harddrive mode. Have you tried switching from mp3 to EHD?

I don't really know anymore. I don't have an iPod and only know that much from listening to my friend rant about his job in iPod customer support.

Baxter said:
I don't really know anymore. I don't have an iPod and only know that much from listening to my friend rant about his job in iPod customer support.

No sum of wealth on this planet could make me take that job......between iPods & idiots that'd be atrocious.....

Baxter said:
iPods have two configurations, an mp3 player mode and an exteernal harddrive mode. Have you tried switching from mp3 to EHD?

Those are two different "areas" of the iPod though. Music files stored as part of the external hard drive can't be listened to on the iPod.

Bass - when Apple was planning the iPod it was important for them to do it with the blessing of the record companies, because they wanted to be able to sell songs through iTunes too. So they had to cater to the record companies, who knew they could control what users did with files downloaded through iTunes but not other files. Sharing of music was important as well - like I said you can hook your iPod up to a friend's computer and copy music to it. What they didn't want is for people to be able to then take those songs you get from your friend and share them over the Internet or give them to other friends.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck - actually it shows how much the record industry sucks, to make demands like that and inconvenience it's customers.

What sucks is that this little 'feature' isn't branded on the ****ing box.

It's not said anywhere you can't do this when they advertise them.

I feel ripped off.

But not as ripped off as those music tracks on my iPod.

Heheheheheeheh.

Also, how does one make iTunes allow you to name the files you put onto your iPod so that they're not called "QX3W" or, even better, a way to let them keep their original name?

Yeah Bass, I can help you.

Okay, first of all, know that Apple made the iPod so that the music files on it are not supposed to be copied from iPod to computer; only from computer to iPod. This is done so that people can't hook up the iPod to other peoples' computers and give the music illegally (i.e., the 2nd party doesnt pay). THey do this for legal reasons; however, I am sure they realize AIM and e-mail work just as well, but that's beside the point, its liablity.

Ok, now go to google and search for "senuti" except without quotation marks.

Download the program Senuti. It works like a reverse iTunes (i.e. it takes from iPod and puts on computer). This program will also keep song name and artist name, but its flaw lies in that it doesn't keep the album name.

This works great for me though, so I reccomend using it.

EDIT: i guess that program is only good for macs...

here's a site with loads of programs for you to use:

http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/copy_from_ipod.htm

Last edited:
Thanks, but I've managed to use EphPod to make it work. :D

It works! Tra la la la. :D

My lovely, lovely, lovely horse!
My lovely hoooooorse.
Running through the fieeeeeelds...
Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wiiiiiiiiind?
I want to shower you with sugar lumps,
And ride you over fences...
Polish your hooves every single day.
And bring you to the horse dentiiiiiist...
My lovely hoooooorse.
You're a pony no moooooooore...
Running around with the man on your back,
Like a train in the night, yeah.
Like a train in the night!
*sax solo*

Bass said:
Thanks, but I've managed to use EphPod to make it work. :D

It works! Tra la la la. :D

My lovely hoooooorse.
Running through the fieeeeeelds...
Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wiiiiiiiiind?
I want to shower you with sugar lumps,
And ride you over fences...
Polish your hooves every single day.
And bring you to the horse dentiiiiiist...
My lovely hoooooorse.
You're a pony no moooooooore...
Running around with the man on your back,
Like a train in the night, yeah.
Like a train in the night!
*sax solo*
No, no, no. That's the 17th Chant of Zakataffes! Now don't go blaming me when Kromdor's Fire Horned Hipogriff of Destruction comes trampling through your house. You better have a human sacrifice ready or that guy will be crashing at your house for the next month.

Latest posts

Back