Iron Man 2 discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man 2?

• Total voters
Saw this on Saturday and something just didn't quite click for me. When I watched Iron Man 1.0 for the first time, it captured perfectly the joy, excitement, wonder, etc that I get from reading comics. Iron Man 2.0 didn't quite do that. I enjoyed it. The action scenes were much better. RDJ still IS Tony Stark. Rockwell as Hammer was great and I'm glad that he didn't die at the end. In my opinion, too many films kill the villains at the end so there is no chance for a comeback. I just felt that Rourke's Whiplash should have and could have been better and more impactful than he was. This movie did make me super excited for the coming Thor/Captain America/Avengers movies though.

Dislikes: The lack of anything real from Mickey Rourke. His last scene screamed Obadiah Stane 2.0 while his first fight was epic.

except the final whiplash scene wasn't even as good as the Iron Monger scene. At least with Iron Monger they blinded the suit to make the fight more interesting than two machines fighting.

Sam Jackson wasn't bad at all I just thought that he was used in the wrong capacity. I did like the I've got my eye on you line though.

you did? :?

except the final whiplash scene wasn't even as good as the Iron Monger scene. At least with Iron Monger they blinded the suit to make the fight more interesting than two machines fighting.

you did? :?

It wasn't that bad. I thought it was comic booky and I think it fit the tone.

I think the truth of the matter is the fact that originally The Mandarin was going to be the villain of the first movie, and that was the case even when they started filming it... Stane was supposed to be a plant to pay off in the sequel. But they shifted gears and left the initial Ten Rings stuff in there for the fans.

Although Favreau has said in recent interviews that The Mandarin will almost certainly be the villain of the third Iron Man film.

Don Cheadle was depressing in this movie. He made no effort to make the role his own, he just sort of showed up and tried not to look too silly. He had none of the naive charisma as Terrance Howard did and he certainly had none of the chemistry that Howard had with Downey, either.

The Cap Shield annoyed me as well. In the first film, it was subtly placed and was an added bit of fun for fans to spot later on. In the second film, it's like they're shouting at the audience "HEY! LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT THIS CLEVER THING WE'VE PUT IN THE MOVIE!". I kind of felt the same way about Favreau's expanded role as a bodyguard (Happy? Happy Hogan? Sorry, I'm not up on my Iron Man comics lore). In the first film, he had a Hitchc0ck-like cameo. In the second film, he was needlessly promoted to one of the supporting characters. It was a bit much.

Again, the film was good entertainment, but it didn't stretch any boundaries and the plot just wasn't engaging at all. I may never watch it again.

EDIT: I should mention though, that in no way did the film seem like a "120-minute trailer for the Avengers" which is what dozens of its critics are calling it. The only entirely unneccessary Avengers plug was Stark's final scene with Fury, as well as the post-credits scene. The rest of the scenes worked just fine to enhance the movie's lacklustre plot.

Last edited:
I kind of felt the same way about Favreau's expanded role as a bodyguard (Happy? Happy Hogan? Sorry, I'm not up on my Iron Man comics lore). In the first film, he had a Hitchc0ck-like cameo. In the second film, he was needlessly promoted to one of the supporting characters. It was a bit much.

Happy Hogan is one of Iron Man's key supporting characters. That's like saying J Jonah Jameson had too much screen time in the Spider-Man movies.

Happy Hogan is one of Iron Man's key supporting characters. That's like saying J Jonah Jameson had too much screen time in the Spider-Man movies.

I'm not speaking as an educated fan of Iron Man comics, though (I think I've read maybe three Iron Man comics in my life). I'm speaking as a casual filmgoer who saw the director's cameo in the first film unneccessarily advanced into a supporting role in the second, with no real progression and no actual introduction. If he was such an important character, why didn't they let us know that in the first film?

Last edited:
They kinda did.

Yeah, at first he stepped in only because the extra couldn't make it, but they found he and Downing made a funny scene so they expanding the role to at least two more scenes, the racing to the airplane and the car ride to the press conference, in fact I believe his was referred to as Happy in the latter scene. So it feels natural they would bring back the body guard role and give it a little expansion.

Happy was awesome in this movie.

And I didn't like Cheadle at all; I would have preferred Howard.

I'm not speaking as an educated fan of Iron Man comics, though (I think I've read maybe three Iron Man comics in my life). I'm speaking as a casual filmgoer who saw the director's cameo in the first film unneccessarily advanced into a supporting role in the second, with no real progression and no actual introduction. If he was such an important character, why didn't they let us know that in the first film?

fair enough, but I haven't really read any Iron Man either. I only really knew who he was because of the first movie.

Happy, and Favreau, are great and I was glad to have more of them.

Cheadle was fine and I feel did his best, but I will always be disappointed that Terrence Howard, for whatever reason, wasn't in it. I don't get it, and it would've been better if he was.

Yeah, Happy was one of the best parts.

I prefer Cheadle over Howard in general but he really seemed out of place in this movie. He just didn't seem... there.

Yeah, Happy was one of the best parts.

I prefer Cheadle over Howard in general but he really seemed out of place in this movie. He just didn't seem... there.

"You guys look like two seals fighting over a grape...." Worst line ever.

And then right after that, "Get your own roof."

Then, "Hey Tony, my car is ruined, I'm gonna need to borrow this suit." / "That wasn't a question!" (flies off in War Machine suit)

All in the span of 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back