Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man?

• Total voters
I was thinking about that as well, then I was thinking, the whole thing could be that this particular Mandarin kills his 9 contemporaries and becomes a HUGE global threat.

Or he's just the Mandrins lackey. After all if the ring had any power wouldn't he have used it against Odibiah?

I think that that guy was the mandarin. Anywho, I thought it was great. Downey jr. was awesome as Stark, as was most of the cast. The only qualm I had was with jeff bridges. and it wasn't that he was bbad in his part, it was just that I kept thinking of him as "The Dude." I couldn't take him seriously as a threat. But overall it was fantastic. Up there with the best superhero films. For me Batman Begins edges it out for the top spot, but Iron Man was awesome to be sure. Can't wait for the sequel.

Robert Downey Junior BLOWS...

EVERYBODY ELSE OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!!!!! Seriously, he was great and this was probably THE best superhero adaptation movie I've ever seen. The SHIELD setup was great and I seriously can't wait for the sequel. The only thing that threw me off guard was Jarvis. I was expecting the smart-*** channeling Frasier Crane jarvis but instead I got a 2001 Space Odyssey AI Jarvis. It worked though and that's why I ended up enjoying it. I really can't wait to see Rhodes suit up. This just makes me even more pumped to see the Hulk movie so if you don't mind, I'm going on an Edward Norton movie binge.

Last edited:
Might be my fav. Marvel movie yet. I went with some of my friends who arent really into comics, but it was still awesome. When Sam Jackson came on in the easter egg, one person yelled out " But Nick Fury's white!". I then proceeded to tell him to shut the hell up. I cant wait to see it again tonight with my dad.

10/5. Seriously.

Captain America should be their highest priority. And whoever is writing it should get a stack of the Brubaker issues.

I think Thor is up first, followed right by Captain America. Both movies are slated for 2009. Then, 2010 has Ant Man, Nick Fury and Iron Man II. All of these (And Hulk) are to set up the Avengers for a 2011 release.

When Sam Jackson came on in the easter egg, one person yelled out " But Nick Fury's white!". I then proceeded to tell him to shut the hell up.

I've seen it twice, and that happened both times. Both times I yelled "Google Ultimate Nick Fury".

Also. . .why all the hate for Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? If there was one thing the Ultimate Universe did better than the original, it was Fury.

Last edited:
I still would've prefered a 616 Nick Fury as well.

I don't have anything against SLJ as Fury, because as Ultimate Fury he's spot on for the character. But I think 616 would've had a more awesome impact on the audience. Not many know who Fury is....and in the end, Ultimate Nick Fury is even more "confusing".

This movie was unorganized. It seemed kind of "choppy." The suit could have been better, and Obadiah's death could have been better explained (it was kind of lame....Pepper blowing up the arc reactor or whatever and electrocuting Obadiah? That was lame....). The SHIELD references were also kind of lame (in the comics, SHIELD has been their acronym since, like, the 50s, and the movie established it as their acronym at the end of the film, though since this is a slightly more realistic take on the Marvel universe, I doubt that SHIELD has been around since the 50s or 60s). The Samuel L. Jackson bit was an awesome fanboy moment, but "the Avengers Initiative"? WTF? I know it's not really like an official scene or whatever, but still. The Iron Monger suit was lame.

I liked the heavy metal. Pretty much, I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the movie. I thought it was cool how they had Jarvis as the computer, possibly to make it more realistic because having an English butler may have had people comparing it to Batman.

I like how they referenced the Mandarin with the "Ten Rings" terrorist group. It gives the movie a more real-world quality, like the new James Bond movies. Maybe the dude with the scarred face is actually the movie version of Temugin, the Mandarin's son? Or maybe he is just one of the Mandarin's lackeys. I doubt it's the Mandarin himself; I'm pretty sure Favreau said that the Mandarin would be appearing in a later movie.

Overall, it was a good film, and a great comic book movie. Better than Spider-Man 2, maybe, but definitely not better than Batman Begins. So, it was the best Marvel movie I've ever seen, and it's definitely the best film I've seen all year. My wussy-self got choked up watching the TDK trailer before the movie. The Joker's voice is just ****ing awesome.

B+

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't have anything against SLJ as Fury, because as Ultimate Fury he's spot on for the character. But I think 616 would've had a more awesome impact on the audience. Not many know who Fury is....and in the end, Ultimate Nick Fury is even more "confusing".

Still. You remember the last time 616 Nick Fury had his own movie?
I don't know Sam is a great actor and really that's all that should matter.

I think that that guy was the mandarin. Anywho, I thought it was great. Downey jr. was awesome as Stark, as was most of the cast. The only qualm I had was with jeff bridges. and it wasn't that he was bbad in his part, it was just that I kept thinking of him as "The Dude." I couldn't take him seriously as a threat. But overall it was fantastic. Up there with the best superhero films. For me Batman Begins edges it out for the top spot, but Iron Man was awesome to be sure. Can't wait for the sequel.

I'm pretty sure Raza is not the Mandarin. Raza is more or less an updated version of Wong Chu, the Vietcong commander that forces stark to build the IM armor back in the 60s.

Later Wong Chu was retconed into being the mandarin's minion and even later Ellis updated the origin to change the setting from Vietnam to Afghanistan.

This is likely a combo of those two retcons, Raza is likely Mandarin's minion, instead of being the Mandarin. IM's rogues gallery is kinda weak, so I doubt they would write mandarin out so quickly, he is more or less IM's arch nemesis. I mean what other IM villains can carry a whole movie?

I assume he will be revealed as the true mastermind behind the "10 rings" in a sequel.

Also speaking about villains its kinda sad that Jeff Bridges played a better Lex Luthor than Kevin Spacey, especially when bridges wasn't playing Lex.

I think introducing the Black Fury was to appease the real fans. You don't get alot of movies where they try to target the real fans and I think this was something for us rather than the general audience. Obviously not everyone is gonna know, and that's why we're there to shout rants like "Google it you jackass!"

So, should I take all of them off and have everyone start *****ing at me?

It's a spoiler thread. No one is going to ***** you out. If the people who haven't seen the movie are anything like planet man, they're not gonna visit this thread until they've seen the movie for sake of spoilers.

Last edited:
So, should I take all of them off and have everyone start *****ing at me?

J.Agabiki said it already.

Seeing as how it's a spoiler thread....you don't need the spoiler tags. If anyone is in this thread and hasn't seen the film yet....then it's their fault as they are entering at their own risk.

Now had you posted this in the Iron Man movie NEWS thread...then the spoiler tags would be fine. But since there's a DISCUSSION thread w/ spoilers already...that makes that option moot.

Still. You remember the last time 616 Nick Fury had his own movie?
I don't know Sam is a great actor and really that's all that should matter.

Yes Hasselfhoff's Fury movie was bad....but it still just a personal preference.

I think introducing the Black Fury was to appease the real fans. You don't get alot of movies where they try to target the real fans and I think this was something for us rather than the general audience. Obviously not everyone is gonna know, and that's why we're there to shout rants like "Google it you jackass!"

And I appreciate the nod to the true comic fans....to me, however, it just feels outta place. But I suppose that making the Marvel movieverse a "mock UU" would make sense seeing as how it's more based on realism.

It was better than Batman Begins, and has given me hope for the future of the Marvel Movie Universe.

Especially with Nick Fury. Black Fury, White Fury, I don't care- it's Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's not like he can't change appearance later. He's a super-spy.
Still, seeing Samuel L. Jackson as Fury, on the big screen, was an excellent treat. The cherry on the top of an excellent film experience.

I can only hope Hulk is good...though I'm not holding my breath.

The Iron Monger suit was lame.

I thought it looked awesome.

Last edited:
i didnt find the movie disorganized at all. I found it to be all around awesome. def in the top 5 superhero movies ever for me... maybe even number one. it was just pure, and it didnt drag like begins did at times... i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

The ONLY problem i had with it was ironically Samuel L Jackson. I thought he'd be kickass, but it just turned out to be Samuel L Jackson with an eyepatch, NOT nick fury, as i thought he could pull off... mind you its about a 2 minute scene, but still, i was hoping for nick fury, not sam jackson playing sam jackson with an eyepatch.

i didnt find the movie disorganized at all. I found it to be all around awesome. def in the top 5 superhero movies ever for me... maybe even number one. it was just pure, and it didnt drag like begins did at times... i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

The ONLY problem i had with it was ironically Samuel L Jackson. I thought he'd be kickass, but it just turned out to be Samuel L Jackson with an eyepatch, NOT nick fury, as i thought he could pull off... mind you its about a 2 minute scene, but still, i was hoping for nick fury, not sam jackson playing sam jackson with an eyepatch.

Seemed more like U Fury too me and i think he did fine.

Besides, how can you judge it by that small scene.

Latest posts

Back