• Iron Man, the Armored Avenger

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Batman, the Dark Knight

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Neither, they both suck.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Taskmaster

A friend and I were having a discussion. I am excited to see the Iron Man movie, he is excited for The Dark Knight. He adamantly refuses to believe that Iron Man could kick Batman's sorry ***. But oh well. Anyways, this got me thinking. Who is better, Iron Man, the ultimate gadgeteer, versus Batman, Renassance Man with nearly unmatched hand-to-hand skills? Who's cooler? I myself think Iron Man is better (even during and after Civil War), but comic/movie/popular opinion seems to state otherwise. What do you think?

A friend and I were having a discussion. I am excited to see the Iron Man movie, he is excited for The Dark Knight. He adamantly refuses to believe that Iron Man could kick Batman's sorry ***. But oh well. Anyways, this got me thinking. Who is better, Iron Man, the ultimate gadgeteer, versus Batman, Renassance Man with nearly unmatched hand-to-hand skills? Who's cooler? I myself think Iron Man is better (even during and after Civil War), but comic/movie/popular opinion seems to state otherwise. What do you think?

Hm. DARKKNIGHT and I are writing a point-counterpoint article for our newspaper discussing which one will be better. I'm defending Iron Man just and the fact that RDJ will be amazing in it. Plus I'm his editor and can always change what he says in the article. :twisted:

I'm sorry but not only is TDK going to be better than Iron Man, but Batman is a "better", in my opinion at least. While he may not beat Iron Man in a one on one fight, this really has nothing to do with who is the better character, it is simply who is more powerful. An if you are using that as the basis for best super hero then the candidates are few. But anyway I digress. One of the reasons I think that Batman is a better character is because to me at least he is more interesting. Not only as a character to I prefer him, but the world and supporting characters that he brings. His villains are some of the geatest in not only comic book history, but literature in general. The Joker, Cat-woman, and Penguin probably have more face recognition than most super heroes. Add to this that these characters are set in Gotham City, which really can be a character in itself. While a lot of what I am saying is general and applies to the comics, these things are all things that will make TDK a superior film to Iron Man. (knock on wood) I'm not going to say that Iron Man won't be entertaining, I am really looking forward to it too, but I don't think it will be able to match the overall quality of TDK. While it should be good I expect it to be good in a popcorn, summer movie kind of way. I honestly think that if the feedback regarding TDK is true, it could be the best comic book based movie ever and be worthy of Oscar nominations. Really all of this is just speculation until the movies come out. I'm looking forward to both...but Batman alot more.

Are we even asking this question?

I mean, Iron Man's a great character, but Batman's Batman. I mean, he's Batman. BATMAN!

That said, the Iron Man movie's gonna have plenty of wicked-awesome explosions.

The only reason people don't immediately say "Batman would win! ROFL!" is because Batman doesn't wear high-tech armour when he could, easily. Iron Man does however and immediately gets the physical advantage.

The idea of a 'Batman' (in a fantasy world full of super-powered beings) not a) using a high-tech armour suit or b) flat-out giving himself superpowers through scientific or magical means is just as retarded as the idea of a 'Batman' wearing a bizarre grey & blue jumpsuit instead of an all-black riot-survival suit.

Last edited:
The only reason people don't immediately say "Batman would win! ROFL!" is because Batman doesn't wear high-tech armour when he could, easily. Iron Man does however and immediately gets the physical advantage.

Technology can be disabled. The reason Batman is successful is because he plans for eventualities. He relies on his mind so he doesn't have to rely on faulty tech. But if he needed to wear a suit of armor to get something done, I'm sure he would.

It's just, he wouldn't have to, cuz he's Batman. and he's better than that.

The idea of a 'Batman' (in a fantasy world full of super-powered beings) not a) using a high-tech armour suit or b) flat-out giving himself superpowers through scientific or magical means is just as retarded as the idea of a 'Batman' wearing a bizarre grey & blue jumpsuit instead of an all-black riot-survival suit.

Really? Really?

Tony Stark's a brilliant businessman and inventor, but Batman's a brilliant strategist with years and years of experience. Bruce Wayne would slaughter Tony Stark.

Tony Stark's a brilliant businessman and inventor, but Batman's a brilliant strategist with years and years of experience. Bruce Wayne would slaughter Tony Stark.

He's also one of the smartest men in the world. If push came to shove, there's no reason why he wouldn't up the stakes by giving himself an added advantage in the form of superhuman powers.

He's also one of the smartest men in the world. If push came to shove, there's no reason why he wouldn't up the stakes by giving himself an added advantage in the form of superhuman powers.

Because he doesn't need super powers?

I don't know. The idea that Batman would inject himself with super strength or flying just seems asinine to me. He doesn't need to do these things. He's not a superhero, and he's proven time and time again that super powers can always be overcome by a sharp mind.

I do agree that his costume should reflect riot gear and combat armor more though.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but not only is TDK going to be better than Iron Man, but Batman is a "better", in my opinion at least. While he may not beat Iron Man in a one on one fight, this really has nothing to do with who is the better character, it is simply who is more powerful. An if you are using that as the basis for best super hero then the candidates are few. But anyway I digress. One of the reasons I think that Batman is a better character is because to me at least he is more interesting. Not only as a character to I prefer him, but the world and supporting characters that he brings. His villains are some of the geatest in not only comic book history, but literature in general. The Joker, Cat-woman, and Penguin probably have more face recognition than most super heroes. Add to this that these characters are set in Gotham City, which really can be a character in itself. While a lot of what I am saying is general and applies to the comics, these things are all things that will make TDK a superior film to Iron Man. (knock on wood) I'm not going to say that Iron Man won't be entertaining, I am really looking forward to it too, but I don't think it will be able to match the overall quality of TDK. While it should be good I expect it to be good in a popcorn, summer movie kind of way. I honestly think that if the feedback regarding TDK is true, it could be the best comic book based movie ever and be worthy of Oscar nominations. Really all of this is just speculation until the movies come out. I'm looking forward to both...but Batman alot more.

Level 5 on the GScale.

You are now one of my Agents.

Because he doesn't need super powers?

I don't know. The idea that Batman would inject himself with super strength or flying just seems asinine to me. He doesn't need to do these things. He's not a superhero, and he's proven time and time again that super powers can always be overcome by a sharp mind.

He needs gets physical with most of his enemies in some way. All I'm saying is, in a fantasy world full of larger-than-life opponents, it would make sense for someone of his intelligent to resort to superhuman-methods.

I'm not saying it's cool or something I really want to see in a story. I'm just saying it makes sense.

I do agree that his costume should reflect riot gear and combat armor more though.

Whoever drew that Lex Luthor: Man of Steel series a while ago had an interesting take on Batman's costume. It was sort of a mix of a realistic riot-suit and the classic grey suit he's always worn. I'll try and find a picture.

He needs gets physical with most of his enemies in some way. All I'm saying is, in a fantasy world full of larger-than-life opponents, it would make sense for someone of his intelligent to resort to superhuman-methods.

I'm not saying it's cool or something I really want to see in a story. I'm just saying it makes sense.

It doesn't really make sense psychologically though. Batman seems to have an innate fear of superhumans, about what they could do if they lost control, and about the threat to the normal social order by the presence of these guys. I think a lot of the conflict at the center of Batman's struggle is that at his heart, he hates the omnipresence of these super powers, even if he may like some of the superheroes, and recognize that in the modern world, he needs to use them to get what he wants. What worth does he have as a man if he has to rely on super powers to win his fight? What greater danger would he pose to the world if he had super powers and lost control? Not to mention, giving yourself powers has got to be an incredibly risky venture.

Whoever drew that Lex Luthor: Man of Steel series a while ago had an interesting take on Batman's costume. It was sort of a mix of a realistic riot-suit and the classic grey suit he's always worn. I'll try and find a picture.

Really? I never read that.

It doesn't really make sense psychologically though. Batman seems to have an innate fear of superhumans, about what they could do if they lost control, and about the threat to the normal social order by the presence of these guys. I think a lot of the conflict at the center of Batman's struggle is that at his heart, he hates the omnipresence of these super powers, even if he may like some of the superheroes, and recognize that in the modern world, he needs to use them to get what he wants. What worth does he have as a man if he has to rely on super powers to win his fight? What greater danger would he pose to the world if he had super powers and lost control? Not to mention, giving yourself powers has got to be an incredibly risky venture.

I'm mainly talking about a last-ditch, final resort like in Dark Knight Returns.
It certainly seems like something he would do in a situation like that, where he had planned in advance that he was going to die. I guess the way he handled the battle proves me wrong, though.

Really? I never read that.

This is by the same artist. Lee Bermejo. It's a very interesting take on the costume that would seem to please both camps (the conservative "Neal Adams' Batman design forever!" crowd and the liberal "Give me the Batman Begins suit or give me nothing!" crowd)

BATMAN_HUSH_RETURNS.jpg

Last edited:
I'm mainly talking about a last-ditch, final resort like in Dark Knight Returns.
It certainly seems like something he would do in a situation like that, where he had planned in advance that he was going to die. I guess the way he handled the battle proves me wrong, though.

Eh, I don't know. I could see him injecting himself with Everyman therapy or something if it was the very, very, very last resort, but... He has a lot of tools at his disposal. I feel like any last ditch situation he could use powers to solve could just as easily be overcome with other methods. And, I mean, he does have flying armor and jets and **** like that he uses when he's with the Justice League.

This is by the same artist. Lee Bermejo. It's a very interesting take on the costume that would seem to please both camps (the conservative "Neal Adams' Batman design forever!" crowd and the liberal "Give me the Batman Begins suit or give me nothing!" crowd)

BATMAN_HUSH_RETURNS.jpg

That's a pretty awesome costume actually, yeah.

And, I mean, he does have flying armor and jets and **** like that he uses when he's with the Justice League.

He should use them more often. I hate shots where Green Lantern forms an orb around Batman so that he can fly along with everyone else. It's just embarrassing.

He should use them more often. I hate shots where Green Lantern forms an orb around Batman so that he can fly along with everyone else. It's just embarrassing.

I think Batman being an open member of the Justice League is fairly stupid to be honest. He's not a superhero. He's a vigilante who associates with superheroes and occasionally uses them to accomplish things he can't do on his own. He shouldn't be swinging into battle. He should be in the background, taking care of footwork, monitoring, coordination, special ops type ****. His role in the superhero community is as the guy who watches the watchmen.

Also, about the Batman with super powers issue, I just got done reading the Superman/Batman Annual (which is awesome, despite the title normally sucking *******), and you should pick it up.

Last edited:
I think Batman being an open member of the Justice League is fairly stupid to be honest. He's not a superhero. He's a vigilante who associates with superheroes and occasionally uses them to accomplish things he can't do on his own. He shouldn't be swinging into battle. He should be in the background, taking care of footwork, monitoring, coordination, special ops type ****. His role in the superhero community is as the guy who watches the watchmen.

Bingo.

Not only that, I think the JLA overall is one of the more ridiculous superhero teams and when you compare it to some of the other teams in terms of organisation and public relations (X-Men, Ultimates), it's actually a bit embarrassing how silly the concept can be. It's such a pity we can't have a DC Ultimate universe. I'd love to see a full-scale revamp of the Justice League the way Avengers was with Ultimates.

Also, about the Batman with super powers issue, I just got done reading the Superman/Batman Annual (which is awesome, despite the title normally sucking *******), and you should pick it up.

Cool. Synopsis?

Bingo.

Not only that, I think the JLA overall is one of the more ridiculous superhero teams and when you compare it to some of the other teams in terms of organisation and public relations (X-Men, Ultimates), it's actually a bit embarrassing how silly the concept can be. It's such a pity we can't have a DC Ultimate universe. I'd love to see a full-scale revamp of the Justice League the way Avengers was with Ultimates.

I think sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think that first off you've got to recognize that DC is an entirely different universe than Marvel. Whereas Marvel tries (mostly) to hew to a "real world" perspective, DC's got this sort of epic fantasy world going on. The world's mythic, and I feel like this is the kind of thing that would have to be injected even in an Ultimate version of the DCU. The heroes are icons, which is reflected in the fact that the heavy hitters have whole cities modeled around their personalities. I really liked JLA v.3 because it really fits in with that motif. They're like gods, looking down on Earth from their satellite, and facing ridiculously cosmic threats.

Cool. Synopsis?

Superman and Batman are facing a Gotham-style villain who lets rich people face their inner demons for a great deal of money. They typically don't make it out of the crucible alive. In the process, Superman loses his powers. Bruce has to pick up some of the slack in Metropolis, and Clark has to learn to fight like Batman. It sounds fairly typical and cheesy, but the interaction between Bruce and Clark (who are both fairly young at the time) makes it.

Latest posts

Back