Is the Ultimate Universe just disgusting now?

When did Blob eat Wasp?

Ultimatum #2.

The UU is disgusting. Captain Britain, Daredevil, Wasp, Yellowjacket, Beast, Nightcrawler, Cannonball, Dazzler, Emma Frost, Forge, Polaris, Prof. X, and Juggernaut - characters with so much potential - have been killed off for no reason. It's not just Loeb's fault though. Nightcrawler had already been turned into a homophobic *******, Fantastic Four had been written and drawn by talentless hacks for the past 2 years, and the plot direction of X-Men had been dictated by manatees pushing idea balls into a bin.

The Ultimate universe has had disgusting things happen to it for some time, but yes, it's now just disgusting.

Last edited:
The last time UXM was good was BKV's awesome run that followed Millars awesome run.

The last time UFF was good was Millar's run.

The last time Ultimates was good....Millar again.

Can you SEE where I am going with this??

Get Millar and BKV to do a "Spider-Man steps out of the shower" moment on the last few years, and go back to the stories how they should be.
The one that really pissed me off was how Sinister and Apocalypse were been treated. BKV had set them up with so much potential in "The Tempest" only for them to be turned into some balls about Sinister being a whacko in a robot suit.

The last time UXM was good was BKV's awesome run that followed Millars awesome run.

Get Millar and BKV to do a "Spider-Man steps out of the shower" moment on the last few years, and go back to the stories how they should be.
The one that really pissed me off was how Sinister and Apocalypse were been treated. BKV had set them up with so much potential in "The Tempest" only for them to be turned into some balls about Sinister being a whacko in a robot suit.

Dude....

Thank You!

Well, to be fair, the incestuous relationship between Pietro and Wanda was implied from the beginning. That was all Millar. It just wasn't brought out into the open until Loeb. And the Hulk always ate people, so I suppose it wasn't a stetch that Blob would, too (Although, it was really never implied in his character).

Actually it was.

Blob threaten to eat people before.

Really, the UU and even regular Mu have had things like this.

i agree with you 100%, but I was going through some of my Kirkmen written X-men and realised that, compared with what Loeb has vomited out, and the Absolute Power arc in X-men, Kirkmans was'nt all that bad. Bad, yes, but not horrible, as if he did'nt really care for the material, or characters and was just in it for the paycheck....

...but Kirkman's run was decidedly un-Kirkman.

Invincible proves his ability to write a consistently fantastic superhero story.

Walking Dead shows his ability to write a consistently amazing 'dark, apocalyptic' story on a character level.

(I even enjoy Astounding Wolf-man)

So why did his Ult X-Men run stink? I think because he was a care-taker. I suspect he was told 'we are here', 'get us here', and do NOT change these things!

Seriously - Invincible and TWD are two comics in which I could offer an interested friend any random issue and be confident it would intrigue them. How many series are you reading where you can say that? When was the last time you could say that about the UU? (My answer? Ult Spidey - the first 30 or so issues, Ult X-Men - BKV's run, Ult FF - Millar's run, and not before or after, Ultimates - ALL of 1 and 2! In my mind, this Universe had a pretty obvious 'golden age'. Its only minor resurgence was Ult Spidey - Knights and Death of a Goblin, Ultimate Human, and the hope of Ult W vs H.

I think USM started slacking around the Sivler Sable arc. That and the whole "all this happens in six months" was utterly stupid. Let the kid age and let the story progress naturally. bendis' selfishness killed the series or at the very least hindered it's growth.

Plus you never saw Hulk eat anyone, you saw Blob feasting on Wasp's intestines. Its just better when its implied instead of seeing every gory detail.
In Ultimates 13, they do show Hulk eating Kleiser although it"s not as graphic as the Blob devouring Wasp. It also looked like Hulk was eating some of The Abombination after he punched his head off.[/QUOTE]

Regardless Wasp deserved a better death that.

Kleiser was a throw away villain and red Skull rip off, he can have death like that, but Wasp was a recurring hero, someone with more of an emotional investment, she should have had a better death then that.

Go and reread Ultimate X-Men vol 2. I forget if it was Wraith or not, but Bloib was gonna eat whoever was in the helicopter he grabbed near the end. He said something like "Wanna see how I maintain my sexy four figure body mass?"

Actually it was.

Blob threaten to eat people before.

Really, the UU and even regular Mu have had things like this.

Yeah it was. Like I said before.

It's not so much what they are doing, as they way they are going about it. Look at stuff like The Boys. That's vicious, graphic, crude, but it is still a GOOD READ. Ultimates 3 and the newer UXM go for that, but fail to remember that if you want to put the shock stuff in, you need some decent story to drive those shocks. Look at Ultimates 2 - Grand Theft America. We had Hawkeye's young children murdered, Hulk punching his fist through Abominations head, Hurricane being liquefied, Hawkeye using his fingernails to kill people after ripping them out and many other vicious acts of violence. The second book of Ultimates 1 had the Hulk threaten to RAPE a villain! But the story behind these were so good, we didn't pay attention to the brutality as much, as we were caught up in the tale. Now we have that same graphic violence, with barely no story to drive it along, and showing those acts for what they actually are. Random violence for the sake of it.

Seriously though, and I'm talking about way back to even Robert Kirkman's run, with Wolverine as Cable (seriously, what the hell was he thinking?).

The sad part is, that right there is probably the most interesting thing Kirkman came up with on his run of UXM...Magician--pfffft! Cable--well, you just said it. Sentinels/Fenris--bleecccchhh! And Apocalypse--that was the worst of all!

I bet Robert Kirkman is a pen name Loeb was using. Obviously the real Kirkman writes such titles as Invincible, The Walking Dead, Battle Pope, etc. The one writing Ultimate X-Men for those 25 or so issues must have been Loeb in disguise. Its the only thing that makes any sense.

Exactly!!

Thats why Millar coming back and writing all those teams into one book (Ultimate Avengers) is to me a VERY GOOD thing, a dream come true, really. It would be another dream come true to see Vaughan return to the Ultimate universe with a story arc or mini. Bendis and Immonen had been doing well, but I'm wary as to how USM "Vol. 2" :roll: will turn out.

Still, the future looks much brighter than the present (and past few years) concerning the Ultimate titles.

i agree with you 100%, but I was going through some of my Kirkmen written X-men and realised that, compared with what Loeb has vomited out, and the Absolute Power arc in X-men, Kirkmans was'nt all that bad. Bad, yes, but not horrible, as if he did'nt really care for the material, or characters and was just in it for the paycheck....

Thats actually a much more fair criticism of Kirkman's run than mine. :oops:

I get self righteous when it comes to the Ultimate universe, and my self-righteousness has been getting kicked in the nuts continuously with a steel-toed boot ever since Loeb and his Heroes lackeys started writing for the imprint.

Millar and Vaughan equal Ultimate greatness. Ellis' runs were also a lot of fun on UFF and the mini Ultimate Human. Bendis...well, he's turned it around on USM, but as said I'm apprehensive about Vol. 2.

I think USM started slacking around the Sivler Sable arc. That and the whole "all this happens in six months" was utterly stupid. Let the kid age and let the story progress naturally. bendis' selfishness killed the series or at the very least hindered it's growth.

Definitely hindered its growth and created unnecessary continuity issues.

Yeah it was. Like I said before.

It's not so much what they are doing, as they way they are going about it. Look at stuff like The Boys. That's vicious, graphic, crude, but it is still a GOOD READ. Ultimates 3 and the newer UXM go for that, but fail to remember that if you want to put the shock stuff in, you need some decent story to drive those shocks. Look at Ultimates 2 - Grand Theft America. We had Hawkeye's young children murdered, Hulk punching his fist through Abominations head, Hurricane being liquefied, Hawkeye using his fingernails to kill people after ripping them out and many other vicious acts of violence. The second book of Ultimates 1 had the Hulk threaten to RAPE a villain! But the story behind these were so good, we didn't pay attention to the brutality as much, as we were caught up in the tale. Now we have that same graphic violence, with barely no story to drive it along, and showing those acts for what they actually are. Random violence for the sake of it.

:rockon:

I don't get the rave reviews for Millar's Ultimate X-Men. It's not horrible, but it was, for the most part, incredibly uninteresting to me, the weakest writing I've ever read by him, and, quality-wise, barely better than a regular X-Men comic.

I don't get the rave reviews for Millar's Ultimate X-Men. It's not horrible, but it was, for the most part, incredibly uninteresting to me, the weakest writing I've ever read by him, and, quality-wise, barely better than a regular X-Men comic.
I concur with this.

I disagree. I thought it was very compelling and a great fresh take on these characters much like USM was. Heck, Millars UXM was what got me into the UU to begin with and got me sucked me back into collecting comics after a
nearly 15 yr hiatus.

I agree with E and Ourchair, Millar's UXM was off, there were a lot of good ideas but somethings were just over the top for what the UU should have been. It's not bad and didn't hurt the the universe. Just didn't feel right.

I disagree. I thought it was very compelling and a great fresh take on these characters much like USM was. Heck, Millars UXM was what got me into the UU to begin with and got me sucked me back into collecting comics after a
nearly 15 yr hiatus.

My thoughts were just the opposite - it WASN'T fresh, and he wasn't doing much more than just rebooting, unlike, say, Ultimates which had a LOT of new ideas.

Specifically, I was very disappointed in the Sentinels in the first arc. Having giant robots patrolling the streets completely flew in the face of the modernism and realism he was setting up in Ultimates.

What did you think was a fresh take?

Latest posts

Back