Is Ultimate Extinction Really Needed???

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Ok...correct me if i'm wrong....but all this takes place before the events beginning in Ultimates 2 correct?

And with no roster changes from the currents arcs, we can plainly see that everyone lives and nobody even mentions the events that took place (for obvious spoiler reasons).

So I guess the question is....is Extinction really needed? I mean personally....I'm having a hard time getting stoked about Vision and Gah Lak Tus when I know that everyone will save the day and live.

I don't know....maybe I'm just ranting. The UU timeline inconsistency is really starting to bug me.....

Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug and stuff.........

Victor Von Doom said:
Ok...correct me if i'm wrong....but all this takes place before the events beginning in Ultimates 2 correct?
We know for sure that the events of Secret take place before Ultimates 2. No such explicit statement is made about Extinction, but as you point out, the solicitations don't imply otherwise.

If editorial were wise, Extinction could be written to take place after, but ten bucks says they won't. Hell, if these Gah Lak Tus minis continue the delays, we may very well end up seeing a contest between whether Ultimates 2 or Gah Lak Tus can finish the latest.

Victor Von Doom said:
I'm having a hard time getting stoked about Vision and Gah Lak Tus when I know that everyone will save the day and live.
Honestly, things like that don't really bother me since comics under Marvel or DC tend to have an element of safety to begin with. Everyone WILL save the day and live, that was already expected since Nightmare, so I hardly think that's reason to single out Extinction unless you want to just let the story where it ends in Secret. :D

Victor Von Doom said:
I don't know....maybe I'm just ranting. The UU timeline inconsistency is really starting to bug me.....
Ain't it a *****? Shared universe, my ***.

I think it was supposed to originally end roughly around the same time as U2 began, so it wouldn't have been an issue...

jtg3885 said:
I think it was supposed to originally end roughly around the same time as U2 began, so it wouldn't have been an issue...
I'm pretty certain that was the deal too, but Marvel should have either coordinated it so that one story could finish ahead of the other so that they can just alter the planning, or not allow these titles to have delays in the first place.

I honestly think its not a problem to just trash the roster and let Extinction take place between Ultimates 2 & 3 but I doubt they'd ever do that. The delays aren't really the problem, its the contingency between those two books that is.

ourchair said:
Honestly, things like that don't really bother me since comics under Marvel or DC tend to have an element of safety to begin with. Everyone WILL save the day and live, that was already expected since Nightmare, so I hardly think that's reason to single out Extinction unless you want to just let the story where it ends in Secret. :D

Yup.

ourchair said:
....Honestly, things like that don't really bother me since comics under Marvel or DC tend to have an element of safety to begin with. Everyone WILL save the day and live, that was already expected since Nightmare, so I hardly think that's reason to single out Extinction unless you want to just let the story where it ends in Secret......

Yeah......the saftey net of everyone lives sucks. I guess I just miss all the shock of the Ultimate Universe. I remember being floored when I read that Beast died...........and didn't come back.

I guess my biggest gripe is that for this big crossover event to go down without having some major ramifications is just weak sauce. It's a great story....but without the shock factor it lacks the "umph". Something this big needs to end with the death someone who's a major player in the universe, otherwise it's not really an "extinction"......more like "really big squirmish".

Victor Von Doom said:
I guess my biggest gripe is that for this big crossover event to go down without having some major ramifications is just weak sauce. It's a great story....but without the shock factor it lacks the "umph". Something this big needs to end with the death someone who's a major player in the universe, otherwise it's not really an "extinction"......more like "really big squirmish".
I agree with that. I want some death.

Victor Von Doom said:
Yeah......the saftey net of everyone lives sucks. I guess I just miss all the shock of the Ultimate Universe. I remember being floored when I read that Beast died...........and didn't come back.
Well, to be fair, they could kill off some characters, but given how death has been handled so far in the Ultimate Universe, that's not a move they're going to be able to take back easily, so I suspect its highly unlikely.

Victor Von Doom said:
There will be a major change in Extinction, here it is:

GAH LAK TUS: I ...er, WE have come!

WOLVERINE: Don't eat me!

GAH LAK TUS: Don't be daft, man. We're not here to eat you. We're here to enact major changes in the Ultimate Universe.

*a swarm of bugs crawl up Tony's pant leg*

TONY STARK: Nooooo! Not in my bathing suit area!!! My brain, you're eating my brain!

*Tony becomes engulfed in Gah Lak Ti. Ten minutes later, the Gah Lak Ti disperse*

TONY STARK: Hey, my wee wee doesn't hurt so much anymore. I'm no longer made of brain tissue! And wait, I'm still smart! Wow!

GAH LAK TUS: See? Major changes! We must go now!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: Where are you going?

GAH LAK TUS: To the DC Universe. Much needs to be done there.

MR. FANTASTIC: What about the continuity mess with me and my friends?

GAH LAK TUS: That's for a whole 'nother trilogy of minis, stupid.

heh. funny.

see, i don't care about the death stuff so much as the other universes not mentioning MAJOR EVENTS.

Spidey lives in NY, i don't recall them mentioning magneto's big attack, or Hulk's rampage.

Everyone should at least say something about the Chitauri invasion. And 10 bucks says this Ultimates 2 thing is gonna go by and by the next arc (and in every other book) the world is rebuilt and no one aside from the ultimates talk about it.

iceman said:
heh. funny.

see, i don't care about the death stuff so much as the other universes not mentioning MAJOR EVENTS.

Spidey lives in NY, i don't recall them mentioning magneto's big attack, or Hulk's rampage.

Everyone should at least say something about the Chitauri invasion. And 10 bucks says this Ultimates 2 thing is gonna go by and by the next arc (and in every other book) the world is rebuilt and no one aside from the ultimates talk about it.

They metioned the Hulk attack in the Venom arc.

ourchair said:

GAH LAK TUS: Don't be daft, man. We're not here to eat you. We're here to enact major changes in the Ultimate Universe.

TONY STARK: Nooooo! Not in my bathing suit area!!! My brain, you're eating my brain!

*Tony becomes engulfed in Gah Lak Ti. Ten minutes later, the Gah Lak Ti disperse*

TONY STARK: Hey, my wee wee doesn't hurt so much anymore. I'm no longer made of brain tissue! And wait, I'm still smart! Wow!

I am saddened that this piece has not provoked a response. :(

ourchair said:
Well, to be fair, they could kill off some characters, but given how death has been handled so far in the Ultimate Universe, that's not a move they're going to be able to take back easily, so I suspect its highly unlikely.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy, ourchair?

Dr.Strangefate said:
One of the Fantastic Four should die and not come back.

How's that for change from 616?

that'd be a pretty big change...i'd probably vote for johnny...or sue...or...

innocentboy said:
don't know if it's needed or not, but don't really care, it's hella enjoyable
:D

when read back to back...the first two minis are a pretty good read imo

So it's all said and done......

I stand by my orignal post and I still say this was pointless.

A brilliant retelling on a classic villain.....but still pointless.

Victor Von Doom said:
So it's all said and done......

I stand by my orignal post and I still say this was pointless.

A brilliant retelling on a classic villain.....but still pointless.

I agree. Gah Lak Tus should have had a much bigger impact.

Still, we got two of the coolest Ultimitizations in a long time: Falcon and Mahr Vehl.

I can't help but think that the long delay of Ultimates 2 is partly the reason why Extinction's climax was a whimper. Then again, I did notice that as much as possible Extinction's position in the timeline is vague. We're just assuming that it occurs within Ultimates 2 but there's no strong evidence (unless you guys can give proof to the contrary).

Notice that only Cap, Iron Man and Nick are the only Ultimates present and it is obvious that all of them will survive the Liberators, while Falcon in the Annual. Characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow whose fates after Ultimates 2 is pretty much up in the air are not present. Sure Nick still has two arms, but we have Misty Knight who also lost an arm. Why wouldn't Fury have a more advanced cybernetic prosthetic?

cmdrjanjalani said:
I can't help but think that the long delay of Ultimates 2 is partly the reason why Extinction's climax was a whimper. Then again, I did notice that as much as possible Extinction's position in the timeline is vague. We're just assuming that it occurs within Ultimates 2 but there's no strong evidence (unless you guys can give proof to the contrary).

Notice that only Cap, Iron Man and Nick are the only Ultimates present and it is obvious that all of them will survive the Liberators, while Falcon in the Annual. Characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow whose fates after Ultimates 2 is pretty much up in the air are not present. Sure Nick still has two arms, but we have Misty Knight who also lost an arm. Why wouldn't Fury have a more advanced cybernetic prosthetic?

Not true. It is stated that all the events of Gah Lak Tus take place before Ultimates 2. So having all of them there really wouldn't have made any difference.

We won't see the ramifications of U2 until U3 starts. All the writers of the other Ultimate series said that they wanna wait until Millar and Hitch finish their run before they address the events in their comics.

Latest posts

Back