Jack Bauer vs. Noah Bennet: Who's More Badass?

Who's more Bad ***?

• Total voters
Re: Jack Bauer vs. Noah Bennet

Well first off he isn't a police man or detective, he's a counter terrorist agent who's done all kinds of crazy military stuff. He has the training to last well over 24 hours
As someone who has found himself without sleep for 24 hours for more times than he can care to remember, I have no idea why it's even a big deal that someone --- Jack, Tony or Chloe --- can last 24 hours. It's not like each season is another 24 hours continuing from the last season... each hellish day takes place at least months apart.

Random said:
Okay this debate isn't about politics, or the shows but about the amount of bad *** this character gives. But in 24 they never really get the top runner of terrorist organizations, just the people in LA. And even though they have a conservative mind set on things like torture they do present liberal ideas and its not always about getting middle eastern terrorists.
The idea that 24 is a hyper-conservative justification for torture and anti-Muslim sentiment is also utter nonsense. That's like saying The Shield is a hearty endorsement of Machiavellianism and anti-Latino sentiment. Anybody who believes either statement is either delusional or lying.

Race & religion hardly play into the series at all. In the first season, we're not presented with a large community of Serbians trying to terrorificate the hell out of everyone. Instead we have a small two-cell group of Serbians who just want revenge. They could easily have been Russians or Italian and it would still be the same. In the third season, all them Latin-American big shot criminals turn out to be a facade for the machinations of a disgruntled British secret agent.

In short, the writers make it darn clear that all terrorists act in a rogue capacity that makes it silly to try to paint any ethnicity with the terrorist brush. What's actually strange is how often Muslims and Muslim-American terrorists turn out to be either completely innocent, sympathetic or pawns for someone else.

As for torture and other Machiavellian means of justice and information gathering, 24 is a lot like The Shield... it constantly presents characters with the dilemma of choosing between the immediate good and the more expedient resolution.

And every time Bauer & Co. decide to do terrible things for the sake of the greater good, it is never without a psychological cost. In fact, a recurring theme of the show is how it is impossible for Jack to lead a normal life let alone be emotionally comfortable with himself. 24 might be depicting torture as a patriot act, but it always causes Bauer significant angst. As Stephen King points out:
Stephen King said:
"There's also a queasily gleeful subtext to 24 that suggests, 'If things are this bad, why, I guess we can torture anybody we want! In fact, we have an obligation to torture in order to protect the country! Hooray!' Yet Jack Bauer's face — increasingly lined, increasingly haggard — suggests that extreme measures eventually catch up with the human soul."
Each season finds Bauer becoming increasingly unhinged, absolutely downtrodden and growing even more emotionally constipated. The ending scene of season 3 says it all: Jack goes to his car, starts sobbing and hyperventilating... visibly fighting with his own regrets and emotional compromises... and then gets a call, and goes back to work.

Also, 24 is neither right wing or left wing, just as The Shield has never been about any political stance. Instead it focuses on the decisions that people have to make in their work, and sometimes that means taking the most expedient course of action to stop a problem, and sometimes it means making personal sacrifices in order to fulfill an obligation and sometimes that means disavowing the moral absolutes of conservative ideology or disregarding liberal sensitivity. Hell, sometimes it means both.

As someone who has found himself without sleep for 24 hours for more times than he can care to remember, I have no idea why it's even a big deal that someone --- Jack, Tony or Chloe --- can last 24 hours. It's not like each season is another 24 hours continuing from the last season... each hellish day takes place at least months apart.

The idea that 24 is a hyper-conservative justification for torture and anti-Muslim sentiment is also utter nonsense. That's like saying The Shield is a hearty endorsement of Machiavellianism and anti-Latino sentiment. Anybody who believes either statement is either delusional or lying.

Race & religion hardly play into the series at all. In the first season, we're not presented with a large community of Serbians trying to terrorificate the hell out of everyone. Instead we have a small two-cell group of Serbians who just want revenge. They could easily have been Russians or Italian and it would still be the same. In the third season, all them Latin-American big shot criminals turn out to be a facade for the machinations of a disgruntled British secret agent.

In short, the writers make it darn clear that all terrorists act in a rogue capacity that makes it silly to try to paint any ethnicity with the terrorist brush. What's actually strange is how often Muslims and Muslim-American terrorists turn out to be either completely innocent, sympathetic or pawns for someone else.

As for torture and other Machiavellian means of justice and information gathering, 24 is a lot like The Shield... it constantly presents characters with the dilemma of choosing between the immediate good and the more expedient resolution.

And every time Bauer & Co. decide to do terrible things for the sake of the greater good, it is never without a psychological cost. In fact, a recurring theme of the show is how it is impossible for Jack to lead a normal life let alone be emotionally comfortable with himself. 24 might be depicting torture as a patriot act, but it always causes Bauer significant angst. As Stephen King points out: Each season finds Bauer becoming increasingly unhinged, absolutely downtrodden and growing even more emotionally constipated. The ending scene of season 3 says it all: Jack goes to his car, starts sobbing and hyperventilating... visibly fighting with his own regrets and emotional compromises... and then gets a call, and goes back to work.

Also, 24 is neither right wing or left wing, just as The Shield has never been about any political stance. Instead it focuses on the decisions that people have to make in their work, and sometimes that means taking the most expedient course of action to stop a problem, and sometimes it means making personal sacrifices in order to fulfill an obligation and sometimes that means disavowing the moral absolutes of conservative ideology or disregarding liberal sensitivity. Hell, sometimes it means both.
That's exactly it, though 24 does really gear more towards the right, its not as bad as people make it out to be. They really try to be fair about everything.

That's exactly it, though 24 does really gear more towards the right, its not as bad as people make it out to be. They really try to be fair about everything.
I don't think it's a question of politics or ideology as it is about actually paying attention to what the hell is going on in the show.

I absolutely do NOT believe in the idea that quality storytelling should consider 'all sides' or be 'fair and balanced'. Most people who attempt to do that fail and end up with a pile of undercooked middlebrow garbage.

It's just that shows like 24 and The Shield use the political backdrop of law enforcement and national security as a narrative space for the characters decisions and not to 'talk out a political stance'. Neither of these shows is trying to be The West Wing, or God forbid, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

As TIME Magazine's Kelsey McNeal points out:
So is 24 a conservative show? Yes, in the sense that the thriller is a conservative genre. Ticking time bombs and pure-evil bad guys make for exciting TV. Working patiently to improve America's image in the Muslim world--not so much. (Maybe Aaron Sorkin could spice it up with an office romance and lots of walk-and-talks.) Muddy a terrorism thriller with liberal concern over root causes and you get Syriana.
The only politics the show has are narrative politics.

Jack Bauer 07 Noah Bennet 16

I guess it's that obvious :lol:

I don't think it's a question of politics or ideology as it is about actually paying attention to what the hell is going on in the show.

I absolutely do NOT believe in the idea that quality storytelling should consider 'all sides' or be 'fair and balanced'. Most people who attempt to do that fail and end up with a pile of undercooked middlebrow garbage.

It's just that shows like 24 and The Shield use the political backdrop of law enforcement and national security as a narrative space for the characters decisions and not to 'talk out a political stance'. Neither of these shows is trying to be The West Wing, or God forbid, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

As TIME Magazine's Kelsey McNeal points out:The only politics the show has are narrative politics.
This is why your a gad damn hollywood genius

Jack Bauer 07 Noah Bennet 16

I guess it's that obvious :lol:
The majority of the country voted for Bush the last election, I compare this to that.

Last edited:

don't compare bauer to a flip flopper.
I'm comparing people voting for Bush for dumb reasons that utlimately played no part in this term.
Actually, the majority of the country voted for Kerry, Bush won cause of the electoral votes

Are you sure you'r not confuse the 2000, I thought Bush had a clear win last time?

Also I will not accept this as official until someone can give me empirical (I'm sick of typing this word) proof. Not from people just "I like Heroes better" or "There's super heroes in Noah world that automatically makes him better". Specifically instants of bad ***-ness that out weighs something like, Oh I don't know, cutting off some dude's head who's in witness protection to immediately reestablish an under cover identity. Something like that.

Last edited:

The majority of the country voted for Bush the last election, I compare this to that.

I thought people DIDN'T vote bush but he won anyway on a technicality like a conciseness or what ever it's called.

Edit
Actually, the majority of the country voted for Kerry, Bush won cause of the electoral votes

damn just noticed Houde beat me to it

Last edited:

I thought people DIDN'T vote bush but he won anyway on a technicality like a conciseness or what ever it's called.

Edit

damn just noticed Houde beat me to it
In the 2000 election, not in the 2004 against Kerry, where he used a bunch of scare tactics to win

Why the hell did you even make this poll then? If Bauer won, you would have gloated. Now that he's losing, you're dismissing the poll altogether.

No, that was Gore. Bush won over Kerry by 3 million votes.

Edit: Beat'd.

Last edited:

Why the hell did you even make this poll then? If Bauer won, you would have gloated. Now that he's losing, you're dismissing the poll altogether.

I'm just not accepting this defeat, go a head and vote, it will be official. Go a head and be considering illogical Heroes fanboys by the interwebs. I'm just making my case (which is a damn good one.) I'm just comparing the people voting either for wrong or uninformed reasons

yeah you could get a million votes in texas and lose the electoral points which i think is 5 and get 500,000 votes in a smaller state and get 7 points or something. so technically you could get more votes but it's the points that count for some idiotic reason and it almost always comes down to iowa or florida being the deal breakers.

To be fair though, the number of things Bauer has done is so high, for one thing because he has had SIX seasons of his show to fill up with stuff. Wait until Bennet has been rockin' for 6 seasons, then compare.

Latest posts

Back