Joker (Azzarello/Bermejo) *Spoilers*

This is basically Elseworlds, right? Judging by the drastic character changes (Harley, Riddler, Croc, etc)?

Overall, I'd give this a 7/10. The art is great; it's a lot better than the story, but it looks as though Jae Lee drew it. The story itself is .... meh. It doesn't really have a point, and it seems like Azzarello just wrote down a bunch of different pointless conversations, put them together, and said "Here's it is, here's the story!" That's all this comic is, just a bunch of small talk between the Joker and his colleagues, with some awesome character renovations (Riddler was cool, but there was no point in having him in the story, other than showing off his badass redesign). The ending, I think, is pointless; it doesn't really make sense with the so-called "story" or "theme" that Azzarello is trying to sell here. And whatever, you'd have to be *insane* to believe that the parallels to The Dark Knight are just coincidences. Joker's got a Glasgow smile and he loves shrimp! Convenient that the novel was released during the same damn year. Bogus ....

Last edited:
Overall, I'd give this a 7/10. The art is great; it's a lot better than the story, but it looks as though Jae Lee drew it. The story itself is .... meh. It doesn't really have a point, and it seems like Azzarello just wrote down a bunch of different pointless conversations, put them together, and said "Here's it is, here's the story!" That's all this comic is, just a bunch of small talk between the Joker and his colleagues, with some awesome character renovations (Riddler was cool, but there was no point in having him in the story, other than showing off his badass redesign). The ending, I think, is pointless; it doesn't really make sense with the so-called "story" or "theme" that Azzarello is trying to sell here. And whatever, you'd have to be *insane* to believe that the parallels to The Dark Knight are just coincidences. Joker's got a Glasgow smile and he loves shrimp! Convenient that the novel was released during the same damn year. Bogus ....

Are you saying that the Joker's love of shrimp in this is supposed to be related to the scene in TDK when he eats that one shrimp while at Wayne's Penthouse? Because that's just crazy. As for the Glasgow Smile, it has been stated before that the art design for this started before Ledger's makeup for the film was released. Unless of course this is all just an elaborate conspiracy theory by WB/DC to capitalize on the success of TDK (sarcasm). But yeah, I'm pretty sure they're just coincidences.

I have a question, if the Joker is this evil, why hasn't someone killed him. Surely a nurse can poison his food or a cop can shoot him and say it was self-defense. If Joker proved he sane, why didn't they send him prison or the chair? Why let a mass murderer out with no supervision? Everyone in Gotham must be an idiot.

I have a question, if the Joker is this evil, why hasn't someone killed him. Surely a nurse can poison his food or a cop can shoot him and say it was self-defense. If Joker proved he sane, why didn't they send him prison or the chair? Why let a mass murderer out with no supervision? Everyone in Gotham must be an idiot.

Joker gets let out of Arkham because
he's apparently convinced the doctors that he's no longer crazy.
I don't think this is the first time this has happened to him.

Are you saying that the Joker's love of shrimp in this is supposed to be related to the scene in TDK when he eats that one shrimp while at Wayne's Penthouse? Because that's just crazy. As for the Glasgow Smile, it has been stated before that the art design for this started before Ledger's makeup for the film was released. Unless of course this is all just an elaborate conspiracy theory by WB/DC to capitalize on the success of TDK (sarcasm). But yeah, I'm pretty sure they're just coincidences.

I'm saying that there are too many parallels to TDK for it all to be coincidence....

1226992337111.jpg

Man, the Joker's such a dick.

Joker gets let out of Arkham because
he's apparently convinced the doctors that he's no longer crazy.
I don't think this is the first time this has happened to him.

That's pretty stupid though, it makes everyone at Arkham look like an idiot. Really why isn't Joker declared a dangerous offender or something and not let out. I mean every other time Joker is released he goes on a killing spree, did they really think he wouldn't do that this time. Plus if Joker can fool the people at Arkham, doesn't that mean he is psychopath instead of being criminally insane?

That's pretty stupid though, it makes everyone at Arkham look like an idiot. Really why isn't Joker declared a dangerous offender or something and not let out. I mean every other time Joker is released he goes on a killing spree, did they really think he wouldn't do that this time. Plus if Joker can fool the people at Arkham, doesn't that mean he is psychopath instead of being criminally insane?

What can I say, the prison system is broken

It costs about $16,000 a year to keep a single person in prison in the United States.

That money is better spent on keeping MP3 file-sharers behind bars and NOT super-villains.

I just got this and while I thought it was good, I have a couple questions:

1.) What is it that the Riddler gives to the Joker? And when is the Riddler supposed to be, just a thief?

2.) Is is just me or is it implied in the comic that Croc eats some of the dead bodies of the men that Joker kills? Anyone catch this?

It costs about $16,000 a year to keep a single person in prison in the United States.

That money is better spent on keeping MP3 file-sharers behind bars and NOT super-villains.

You think would would just execute him by now, in the real world insanity is not a get of jail free card. Joker would have been executed after his third rampage in real life.

I read this today and I have to say it kicks *** it really does. Love the art in it and how joker looks. Also Love the Harley look, It stays true to original while looking really modern and that is now the costume I would want if she was in the Begins/Dark knight universe later on. It might be a look that's been done to her before (I don't know) but i've not seen it before.

Just read this.... garbage. I really hate The Joker character. I hate how it the story was a showcase of all of Batman's major villains and made them all dumbed down in the shadow of The Joker. When does Marvel do this? Isn't Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face all major threats? They seem like punks.

The art was beautiful though.

Just read this.... garbage. I really hate The Joker character. I hate how it the story was a showcase of all of Batman's major villains and made them all dumbed down in the shadow of The Joker. When does Marvel do this? Isn't Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face all major threats? They seem like punks.

While I liked it as a whole, I would agree that I didn't like how they present the Penguin, Riddler and particularly Two-Face. I don't mean I have a problem with the way they look, but the fact that, as you said, they are presented as punks simply to make the Joker look more menacing. I didn't like that aspect of it.

I don't think it was meant to be a showcase for all of Batman's villains - just The Joker. And showing how "dumb" the rest of the villains are compared to The Joker in this shows how powerful/crazy/bad he is.

I don't understand your Marvel point. Why are you comparing this to them? Remember it's also an Elseworlds so this isn't how the characters really are in continuity anyway.

I don't think it was meant to be a showcase for all of Batman's villains - just The Joker. And showing how "dumb" the rest of the villains are compared to The Joker in this shows how powerful/crazy/bad he is.

I don't understand your Marvel point. Why are you comparing this to them? Remember it's also an Elseworlds so this isn't how the characters really are in continuity anyway.

What's an elseworld?

Latest posts

Back