Jonathan Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. (Spoilers)

Re: Jonathan Hickman's Shield (Spoilers)

I haven't read this since #1 since it's bi-monthly and I belive there was some delays? So I decided to wait until the trades to read it all together.

I'm sad that discussion on this series has stalled out after 2 issues. #6 came out a couple weeks ago (?) and closed the first story arc.

This story is incredible. This is not the kind of thing that Marvel should be publishing. It's too intelligent.

The biggest problem with the series - the ONLY problem, as I see it - is that it is so complex that, six issues in, it feels like we're still getting the setup. And that makes the bi-monthly publishing of the book hard to swallow. I wouldn't be surprised if people flat out gave up on it because, on the surface, it doesn't feel like anything is happening and it's taking forever to find that out. It's worse for me because my memory is horrendous. I require multiple reads for stuff like this just to understand what's going on.

I just read the first six issues together and it's a LOT easier to comprehend and follow. Six issues in and it's still answering questions with questions, but if that doesn't bother you and you feel like it's worth it to hang in there and have some pretty awesome concepts fed to you in the meantime, it's worth the wait. I mean, this book is rewriting a lot of the history of the Marvel Universe and, more specifically, several characters. It's ambitious, to say the least.

I'm having trouble finding information on the future of the book - there is a one-shot called SHIELD Infinity coming out but I'm not sure what's going on after that. I'm going to be majorly disappointed if that's the end of it.

Here's the solit:

Have you all given up on this?

Like Ice, I'm just waiting for it to be collected. It's certainly promising, though.

As I recall, they had decided to break it down into volumes, sort of like Ultimates was done, presumably with breaks in between to catch up on the delays caused by the gorgeous art. But that was a while ago.

I read it all, thought it started off great but then got weaker and weaker and then got a little better and then a little bit better. And then it ended.

Did anyone read the new #1?

Yes. I loved it, but others here didn't. Issue Infinity was great also. This series is really starting to come together.

So, I read this recently and I have no idea what's going on. It ended with DaVinci's men fighting with Newton's men in a floating city over whether the world was destined to end or go on forever. Does it pick up again somewhere else or was the whole thing a metaphor for the war of ideas that govern mankind or something?

Last edited:

So, I read this recently and I have no idea what's going on. It ended with DaVinci's men fighting with Newton's men in a floating city over whether the world was destined to end or go on forever. Does it pick up again somewhere else or was the whole thing a metaphor for the war of ideas that govern mankind or something?

This took me 2 readthroughs to comprehend all that was going on. It's really dense.

Also, it's not finished. I thought he said he was going to be picking it back up some time soon so hopefully it gets resolved.

Apparently there's a second series that got four issues in and then was sort of abandoned. It picks up right where the first volume left off. I'll have to see if i can track down the issues that are done.

Yeah, sorry, I assumed you knew that. That's what I was talking about. There is also a one-shot that, if I remember correctly, takes place after volume 1 and before the second volume starts.

FYI Dustin Weaver posted on CBR about 2 months ago that he's still working on it. Hickman has said that they aren't releasing #5-6 until both are done.

Alright, I found the remaining issues on the marvel comics unlimited app and read them. Hickman NEEDS to finish this!

Everything from the conclusion of his run on Secret Warriors ties into this!

It's interesting to me that the story is that Weaver has finished it. He and Hickman have worked on things since the SHIELD hiatus, so I'd be inclined to think the issue was with Hickman finishing the script.

Latest posts

Back