King Kong movie discussion (SPOILERS!)

Saw it. I liked it, but thought that the length could havce been chopped down some. Some scenes were kind of long in my opinion, but that would have been okay if it wasn't for the movie itself being three hours. That being said, I enjoyed almost every minute of it. So, it was a great movie.

*Shoots leather_w0lf again*

King Kong was actually the most boring movie I've seen in a while. I really liked the beginning of the movie, but as it went on and I realized that the first hour and a half would show the characters on a boat going to the island where they'd find Kong... I found myself watching my clock until the time the movie was up for entertainment. It took and hour and 45 minutes for them to introduce Kong, the whole reason why I wanted to see the movie, and better yet, not a whole lot of time was spent in New York... The parts with Kong in New York was better than anything on that stupid island. The island was just an excuse to show off all the cool things we could see in CG. Another thing, King Kong died like three times before he actually did die, which I didn't like... AND it seems like Jackson gets too caught up in background characters. He spent too much time developing the boy's character and the black guy who looked after him. The scenes were choppy and there was really no direction character-wise. The love story was lost in the length and Jack Black was a terrible person for the role he played... I found myself laughing at his goofy-*** when he was saying "These people died for what they believed in". Bullocks, I tell you. Damn shame, too, as I was looking forward to this movie for the longest time. two stars out of four.

Goodwill said:
Another thing, King Kong died like three times before he actually did die, which I didn't like...
What? I don't understand what you're saying.:?
Goodwill said:
Jack Black was a terrible person for the role he played... I found myself laughing at his goofy-*** when he was saying "These people died for what they believed in". Bullocks, I tell you. Damn shame, too, as I was looking forward to this movie for the longest time.
Well, I thought that was supposed to show that he didn't want anything to get in the way of his movie. I thought it was kind of funny, but that didn't get in my way of enjoying the movie.

Pandrio said:
What? I don't understand what you're saying.:?Well, I thought that was supposed to show that he didn't want anything to get in the way of his movie. I thought it was kind of funny, but that didn't get in my way of enjoying the movie.

I believe Jack Black's lines were supposed to be goofy and ridiculous, hence why they got him to be in that role.

And this is a reply to Goodwill, BTW.

Just got back from seeing it and....wow.

Truly a masterpiece. If Lord of the Rings didn't prove this(which it did), King Kong did: Peter Jackson has officially become one of the greatest directors in the history of cinema.

Jack Black's performance was also fantastic and I think he deserves a Best Actor nomination.

Naomi Watts deserves a nomination too.

Everything about this movie was magnificient.

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

ProjectX2 said:
I believe Jack Black's lines were supposed to be goofy and ridiculous, hence why they got him to be in that role.

yeah, see he's a fast thinkin', fast-talkin, 1930's movie producer. he's a regular local yokal. which was perfect role for jack black.

I found it very amusing that he repeated the same speech at the death of both of his aides. Underscored his manic nature. And then to "honor" all these sacrifices with a gaudy broadway-style show...

Nice.

Jack Black wasn't a real big problem, a minor gripe compared to the other things I thought were wrong with this movie... Maybe I should've mentioned how some of the effects were fantastic, then the moment after there were special effects that were blatantly fake. If something's going to end up as fake looking as when Jack Black and Adrian Brody were running through the dinosaur's feet, consider a different camera angle or something to trick the audience.

Man, was this movie awesome. I loved Kong and Anne's scenes together, I loved the special effects on Kong (Andy Serkis kicks ***. Kong's movements were some of the most natural and real looking CGI that I've ever seen), loved Jack Black's performance, loved all the monsters and natives on the island, loved the whole damn thing. And I really didn't think it was too long. It was very long and it was noticeable, but the length still felt totally natural and necessary to me.

I jumped, I laughed, and I almost cried :)cry: Why did you have to die, Kong!!! WHY!?:cry: ). One of the best movies of the year.

There was no new standard for CGI in movies. I thought Star Wars and Lord of the Rings were the "set the standard" movies. Now Kong? I think real quality in movies come from the stories that are being told... None of these movies mentioned above really have anything to them with the exception of Lord of the Rings.

Goodwill said:
There was no new standard for CGI in movies. I thought Star Wars and Lord of the Rings were the "set the standard" movies. Now Kong? I think real quality in movies come from the stories that are being told... None of these movies mentioned above really have anything to them with the exception of Lord of the Rings.

Actually I thought Kong and had a far more substantial story than Lord of the Rings, and I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan. Star Wars sucked, it was nothing but flashy effects and Samuel Jackson. Keep in mind I'm drunk, so I might retract this statement at a later time, but for right now I stand by it.

I wanna know how they taught the giant monkey to act.

(on a separate note, I'd like to say that I HATE bugs, and the bug scene made me want to die on the inside)

Nit pick details all you want. Yer bound to find them.

It not only sets the new standard for effects, Jackson has set the standard for CG characters and how they are created! All you need is Andy Surkis in a motion capture suit and yer all set!

Merry F'n Christmas!

Leather

I'm usually never one to correct spelling, but Leather, It's Andy Serkis, with an e, not a u.

Woah. I think that's the first time I've ever done that on UC.

Happy Holidays!

Planet-man said:
Nah, I think all the special effects are great.

King Kong has set the new standard for SFX and all future movies are going to have to go by it's example.

Goodwill has a point that the dinosaur Stampede looks fake at several point.

But Kong himself was great. An even better CG character than Gollum so in that way it will set standards.

PS : Andy Serkis had also played the cook. He's becoming the Bruce Campbell of Jackson.

Last edited:
I think the main reason I liked this was because of The Island. Those are my favourite scenes. I was a big fan of the Jurassic Park movies when I was younger.

Latest posts

Back