King Kong movie discussion (SPOILERS!)

Not sure I can capture this, but...

When I saw the ORIGINAL Kong, I loved it..and I felt bad for KONG at the end. When I saw the "new" King, I enjoyed it... but I basically felt bad for KONG from almost the start. And for me, that changed the tone of the whole movie. And a lot of it had to do with them deciding to "soften" KONG earlier, make him more "well rounded" *S* earlier, and to build up the relationship with Anne. He was dangerous, sure, but he was essentially an 'innocent', an animal, not a monster... and clearly Anne was in no danger from him, past their very early interactions. There was SOME of that in the original KONG, to be sure...and at some point, Fay Wray's screams seemed a BIT out of place (wasn't it clear to her, at some point, that Kong was NOT going to harm her - although she might still come to harm, granted)...but... the emphasis was, I think, quite different.

For me, because of this, the new KONG had a very melancholy feel, throughout. It wasn't as :fun" as it could have been. It isnt a question of it "not being good", or the effects not being great, or even some of the set pieces not being awesome..but overall...a much sadder movie (for me!) because of the decisions they made re Kong's personality and relationship with Anne....

Shadow

I liked the love story, as it's the heart of the King Kong story.

But after an hour - I just wanted them to show us the damn monkey.

When he did show up - I just wanted to see him smash things.

And that sums up my feelings completely.

Latest posts

Back