Kingdom Come (no spoilers!)

You know, it's funny, but I never understood why people put Kingdom Come, Sandman or Watchman on a pedestal.

Now, before you think I hate them, I really like KC and Watchman. However, I didn't really find KC to be as interesting as Earth X and with Watchman, I found myself saying "You know, I would be enjoying this a lot more if it were a book.". But, I really didn't like Sandman.

*shrugs*

Last edited:
You know, it's funny, but I never understood why people put Kingdom Come, Sandman or Watchman on a pedestal.

Now, before you think I hate them, I really like KC and Watchman. However, I didn't really find KC to be as interesting as Earth X and with Watchman, I found myself saying "You know, I would be enjoying this a lot more if it were a book.". But, I really didn't like Sandman.

*shrugs*

Agreed, except for Earth X being more interesting than Kingdom Come. I found it a task to get through Earth X at some points, and I felt Universe X and Paradise X kind of ruined it.

Also, I think Houde was *****ing to me about how Earth 2 Superman was in JSA #1. I read it, but all I saw was Kingdom Come Superman. And then Baxter posted that.

Awesome. Kingdom Come Superman is one of the best Supermen.

Last edited:
i never usually bother with anything that isnt marvel but this thread has me very interested in Kingdom Come

Agreed, except for Earth X being more interesting than Kingdom Come. I found it a task to get through Earth X at some points, and I felt Universe X and Paradise X kind of ruined it.

Also, I think Houde was *****ing to me about how Earth 2 Superman was in JSA #1. I read it, but all I saw was Kingdom Come Superman. And then Baxter posted that.

Awesome. Kingdom Come Superman is one of the best Supermen.

One of the panels has Power Girl standing over Kal-L's grave, and he was coming out of it.

When I *****, it's for a reason, and quote me right next time.

Kitten lover

One of the panels has Power Girl standing over Kal-L's grave, and he was coming out of it.

When I *****, it's for a reason, and quote me right next time.

That doesn't mean it's Earth-2. Actually when he was dead there was not an earth-2, just New Earth. I think he was buried there.

And I agree with Project about KC and Earth X

Earth X was long winded compared to KC, so I see where you're coming from. And I definitely agree that Earth X was the vastly superior work compared to its sequels, but I still enjoyed Universe and Paradise X.

I don't remember the Power Girl panel... sorry, Houde.

Anyway, Kingdom Come. Have you got it yet, E?

Anyway, Kingdom Come. Have you got it yet, E?

Yeah, and I read it.

I'll be honest - I was expecting to be blown away, but I just wasn't.

It was a good story and the art was amazing, but better than Earth X? No way. Earth X was epic and full of outrageously cool revelations that turned the entire meaning of the Marvel U upside down...Kingdom Come was a fun read and not much else.

Maybe I was expecting too much. But after it was over my first thought was..."this is it?"

I liked the Revelations parallels. But I was expecting the Book of Revelations as it would happen in the DC U. Just wasn't there. Again, maybe it's my fault for expecting something. Like I said, it's not like it was bad.

It also didn't help that without a real in-depth knowledge of the DC U, I had no idea which characters were new to the story and which were being reinvented. I knew Scott Free only from reading analysis on Seven Soldiers of Victory.

And I have to admit that the thought that this was ripped off of Twilight of the Superheroes - even in part - really cheapened it.

That said, the use of Spectre was great. I liked what they did with Superman. And they almost - almost - made Wonder Woman interesting.

Close the site and burn your comics. You have no soul.

It also didn't help that without a real in-depth knowledge of the DC U, I had no idea which characters were new to the story and which were being reinvented. I knew Scott Free only from reading analysis on Seven Soldiers of Victory.

I was like this when I first read it, but I still thought it was amazing.

You definitely need to read the novelization if you can get it. It explains absolutely everything and everone and makes the story much clearer, and overall is a much better experience than the GN. By far the best novel I've ever read.

As long as you know that Magog is based off of 90's superheroes, like Cable... with the shoulder pads and guns and whatnot.

As long as you know that Magog is based off of 90's superheroes, like Cable... with the shoulder pads and guns and whatnot.

I guess my point was more that there was some intelligent use of characters like Scott Free that was totally lost on me - using Scott Free as the keeper of a prison is a cool idea. I just so happened to be able to get that because I knew of Scott Free. Others I didn't.

Like I said, I didn't hate it. It was good.

You read too much Marvel if you don't know the basic DC characters.

I didn't know who he was, and I still thought it was an incredible read.

This is what I'm not understanding...what was "incredible" about it?

This is a serious question; I'm not trying to prove anything or anything like that. I just want to know what you thought was so awesome about it and that makes it one of the best things you've ever read. I didn't get that impression; maybe I missed something.

Latest posts

Back