Kingdom Come (no spoilers!)

The fact that it was sort of everything(everything cool, anyway) that's ever happened in the DCU coming to a head.

The fact that it was Superman's(and many other characters') ultimate catharasis.

The fact that in terms of sheer climactical epicness, it can't be topped(without resorting to stupid time-anomally multi-dimensional nonsense).

I don't know what else to put. I was so deeply moved by this story, seeing proof of God contrasted with the greatest powers in the world through the eyes of a Minister whose faith is slipping, plus the ultimate versions of most of the the greatest characters in all of comicdom, it was just so incredible.

And like I said, you oughta read the novelization. It's even better.

The story was great, the art was great, the writing was great. Everything was great.

I love Kingdom Come. It's beautifully epic. It's a story for people who like stories.

The fact that it was sort of everything(everything cool, anyway) that's ever happened in the DCU coming to a head.

The fact that it was Superman's(and many other characters') ultimate catharasis.

The fact that in terms of sheer climactical epicness, it can't be topped(without resorting to stupid time-anomally multi-dimensional nonsense).

I don't know what else to put. I was so deeply moved by this story, seeing proof of God contrasted with the greatest powers in the world through the eyes of a Minister whose faith is slipping, plus the ultimate versions of most of the the greatest characters in all of comicdom, it was just so incredible.

And like I said, you oughta read the novelization. It's even better.

The story was great, the art was great, the writing was great. Everything was great.

I love Kingdom Come. It's beautifully epic. It's a story for people who like stories.
What they said.

It was just told in a great manner with art that was just so damn good. I even enjoyed reading Superman here, and as I've said before, he's not a character I enjoy anymore. The story was superb and really made me interested in it. I just kept wanting to read more and more.

OK, good story. Got it. I can respect that - I thought it was good too.

But one of the best ever? Especially knowing that it was, at least in part, plagiarized from an Alan Moore concept?

But one of the best ever? Especially knowing that it was, at least in part, plagiarized from an Alan Moore concept?

you're focusing too much on that... the later sequel, The Kingdom, too more from Twilight of the Super-Heroes than Kingdom Come did... especially with the role of Rip Hunter

Basically what Ross and Waid focused on was the idea of creating an ending for the DC Universe in the same way Dark Knight Returns was an ending for Batman. That was the core idea behind TotSH, and does come from Moore, but few if ANY plot points from the story were put into play by Waid. The most blatant plagairism is of Hypertime, which doesn't factor into Kingdom Come.

Seriously, read the Twilight of the Super-Heroes outline. It is a masterpiece in itself. But it is VASTLY different from Kingdom Come. And would have created an entirely different relationship between Batman and Superman. The way those two characters relate in comics today comes DIRECTLY from Kingdom Come. They didn't have a strong relationship before that, and they certainly weren't best friends

ALSO: The marketing benefits of Kingdom Come that were explored in the TotSH Pitch haven't been exploited until today, with Justice Society characters moving closer towards their appearance in KC.

But here's the central idea for the world in which TotSH takes place, which I bring up because its ****ing amazing how Alan Moore predicted our current political environment as a fictional dystopia:

I want to avoid the sort of nuke-blighted future that has been a feature of Dark Knight, Watchmen, Ronin and a lot of other futures presented in comic books and other media, like the Road Warrior films and their ilk, because I feel that is becoming something of a cliché, and, while it's gone some way towards serving its
purpose and alerting people to the dangers of the present day by pointing out the possible effects waiting in the future, I personally feel that it's all but outlived its usefulness as a motif in Twentieth Century function and would prefer to come up with a different kind of holocaust. What I want to show is a world which, having lived through the terrors of the Fifties through the early Nineties with overhanging terror of a nuclear Armageddon that seemed inevitable at the time, has found itself faced with the equally inconceivable and terrifying notion that there might not be an apocalypse. That mankind might actually have a future, and might thus be faced with the terrifying prospect of having to deal with it rather than allowing himself the indulgence of getting rid of that responsibility with a convenient mushroom cloud or nine hundred.

Last edited:
Sure, they stole the idea of an epic future story for the DCU. But judging from what I've read of Moore's premise, they don't seem to have much in common.

Besides, not everything Moore does is gold. Everyone has their fair share of **** as well, and I think if Twilight of the Superheroes had been published, Kingdom Come would still have been better.

For the people that are reading current DCU titles, do you like how the writers are using stories that seem to be heading towards Kingdom Come as a future? Some comics are, and I had a few examples, but I've forgotten at this moment. Of course, their objective to recreate the Silver Age in modern times could also lead to Kingdom Come.

I bet I'm gonna read Earth X now and end up hating it.

I bet I'm gonna read Earth X now and end up hating it.

I liked Earth X, but I felt it took far too long to do anything. That, and Universe X and Paradise X may expand it, but they were far too dull for me, and I didn't think they were really needed.

Damn , I knew this was good but not actually read it just seen this from it

after seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7mKrVW22k

I well want to read it. Some comments say its like the book if so I'm impressed already. This might be next tpb i buy!

I just read Watchmen and I thought it sucked

:shifty:

happy?

Latest posts

Back