Mark Millar discusses Ultimate Defenders with ComiCon.com

Ricky said:
Millar is going to use the Defenders again in the pages of Ultimates. My question is: When is planing to do that?

He's got only 6 issues left after their introduction, and I don't really see them playing a big part in GTA. So, does this mean Millar is actually going to stay on Ultimates after Ultimates 2???

I wondered the same thing.

Maybe they come back to "help" "fight" Ultron (or whomever) at the end.

UltimateE said:
I wondered the same thing.

Maybe they come back to "help" "fight" Ultron (or whomever) at the end.

True. If Millar is planning that this be his last arc the final battle between whoever The Ultimates are fighting is probably going to be a big one and will probably take the combined might of Ultimates/EuroUltimates/Defenders... maybe...

TheManWithoutFear said:
True. If Millar is planning that this be his last arc the final battle between whoever The Ultimates are fighting is probably going to be a big one and will probably take the combined might of Ultimates/EuroUltimates/Defenders... maybe...

I can completely see the Defenders showing up to save the Ultimates in a hilarious twist of fate type thing. Imagine the end of Vol. 1, but instead of the air force showing up the defenders do.

moonmaster said:
I can completely see the Defenders showing up to save the Ultimates in a hilarious twist of fate type thing. Imagine the end of Vol. 1, but instead of the air force showing up the defenders do.

I wouldn't say they show up and save The Ultimate's butts. That would take away from the credibility of the team and in turn would take away from the credibility of the title. They could show up just to help but not save the entire team.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I wouldn't say they show up and save The Ultimate's butts. That would take away from the credibility of the team and in turn would take away from the credibility of the title. They could show up just to help but not save the entire team.

I didn't neccesarily mean they would save the team (yeah, I know that's exactly what I said). I kinda meant that when they first appear the Ultimates would mock them and make jokes about them, but in the final battle they'd show up and start kicking almost as much a** as the Ultimates do. They'd surprise everyone.

ourchair said:
Because Bendis and Millar love picking on each other endlessly.

That's not even funny though. That's like taking the most prominent African American character in the marvel universe and reduceing him to nothing more than a cheap joke. I'm all for everything Millar has done with The Ultimates so far but I don't see how he can make up for already putting Cage on the Defenders roster. It's a bad move.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You never know, it's possible. :wink:

It seems just like the kind of funny, twisted thing Millar would do (I love that crazy bastard).

TheManWithoutFear said:
That's not even funny though. That's like taking the most prominent African American character in the marvel universe and reduceing him to nothing more than a cheap joke. I'm all for everything Millar has done with The Ultimates so far but I don't see how he can make up for already putting Cage on the Defenders roster. It's a bad move.

Nick Fury, one of the lead characters in the Ultimates, is African American, I think Millar's racial equality quotas are safe.

Nick MB said:
Nick Fury, one of the lead characters in the Ultimates, is African American, I think Millar's racial equality quotas are safe.

I have to say, I'm really happy that they didn't make Captain America black in the Ultimates (orginally, he was). It's the kind of stupid liberal over-reaction racial relations doesn't need. Why? Because there is no way a black man would become the icon of the spirit of war time America in the 1940s. Absolutely no way in hell. Sure, the serum could've been tested on black subjects (like in Truth), but no way that they would let the successful one were the stars and stripes.

It'd be even a stretch to believe that it would happen today, (considering there hasn't even been a black person on the election ticket as vice-president) let alone in the 1940s.

That said, Nick Fury as a black man is a nice idea - apparently, they thought Nick Fury was the epitomy of cool action hero of the 60s, so who's the cool action hero of 2000? Samuel L Jackson.

Such a nice play, it felt absolutely right.

Bass said:
I have to say, I'm really happy that they didn't make Captain America black in the Ultimates (orginally, he was). It's the kind of stupid liberal over-reaction racial relations doesn't need. Why? Because there is no way a black man would become the icon of the spirit of war time America in the 1940s. Absolutely no way in hell. Sure, the serum could've been tested on black subjects (like in Truth), but no way that they would let the successful one were the stars and stripes.

It'd be even a stretch to believe that it would happen today, (considering there hasn't even been a black person on the election ticket as vice-president) let alone in the 1940s.

That said, Nick Fury as a black man is a nice idea - apparently, they thought Nick Fury was the epitomy of cool action hero of the 60s, so who's the cool action hero of 2000? Samuel L Jackson.

Such a nice play, it felt absolutely right.

Agreed. I didn't know they wanted to make Captain America black. That would've been stupid.

Originally, Captain America got the super soldier serum in the Gulf War.

Millar was convinced by someone (I forget who) to keep him in WW2 and Millar quickly fell in love with the "man out of time" aspect to Captain America and can't believe he would go any other way with him.

But then, originally, the first five-issues of the Ultimates was supposed to be a 48-page #1.

Amazing how things can work out for the best.

Bass, for a minute there, I thought you were confusing the Truth miniseries with being actual Marvel comics history rather than the "interesting new retcon" its supposed to be. But I realize otherwise now. :D

Bass said:
But then, originally, the first five-issues of the Ultimates was supposed to be a 48-page #1.

Amazing how things can work out for the best.
As for compressing five issues of Ultimates into 48 pages, whoa. The last time I read something that inanely compressed was in Ultimate X-Men. Boy, did the first arc move at a breakneck pace.

Bass said:
Originally, Captain America got the super soldier serum in the Gulf War.

Millar was convinced by someone (I forget who) to keep him in WW2 and Millar quickly fell in love with the "man out of time" aspect to Captain America and can't believe he would go any other way with him.
I wouldn't have it any other way either. A lot of critics like to harp on Captain America as a shallow character, whether they're looking at Ultimate or 616, but I really do think that his "man out of time" aspect, his "Rip Van Winkle" sensibility is the strongest part of his character and can be used in multiple ways whether or not he's a knee-jerk conservative or a overly sensitive liberal.

While I'm not going to jump to conclusions on Ice's part (You didn't think I'd ever learn anything from you, did you?) I'm seeing this thing go two ways... One way, it is an oppurtunity to strengthen the Ultimates, character-wise. With "competition", I'd imagine it would really show who these people really are and it would probably put a lot of questions in there head about their worth in such a cause. This, in turn, could also strengthen Hank's character... Like Millar said, it is a toss up for him. Put up or shut up, really.

The other way this could up going is straight to Hades. I could see the Defenders deverting the story from the Ultimates unnecessarily and abruptly. It takes a lot to introduce a team and give enough of each character to make them worth while, especially in a title such as the Ultimates... Also, if these characters are such losers, I'd imagine it being a little irrelevant to have them come into a title where they take things seriously. Maybe Millar is trying to play off of that seriousness and discount it, but I don't think I would find that to be at all entertaining.

We shall see, of course.

Latest posts

Back