Mark Millar discusses Ultimate Defenders with ComiCon.com

Hmmmmmm

I like what you say . . . looks like something Millar would pull.

After reading the Marvel tag line for the issue again, I think it will just center on Hank trying to join them.

While the Ultimates are recouping from getting their arses kicked by Thor.

(Had the throw that in).

lol.

Leather

you know, what you said just. I think you said that very well. And I'm inclined to agree with the point you're making, and indeed the sentiment behind it. Your question, was not only valid, but masterfully crafted, and for that, I again applaud you, and find it impossible to find myself in anything but the upmost agreement.

Bravo!

Agree-disagree

LMAO.

Come on! Do you think Thor was imagining Loki/Gunnar's likeness in all those scenes?

A writer and an artist don't normally go through the efforts of something like that unless it's important.

leather_w0lf said:
LMAO.

Come on! Do you think Thor was imagining Loki/Gunnar's likeness in all those scenes?

A writer and an artist don't normally go through the efforts of something like that unless it's important.

I think he was really there. What I was disagreeing with was the idea that we "know" anything about Loki.

Noooo!

Poor Hank Pym..they just keep bringing him down. He was so respected in 616..and..and he could always hold his own against the Avengers (for a few pages :/).. Bah I hate how they keep making him a loser. :(

Ultimates rule.

Losers are more prevelant and more human than winners, though. In that respect, you should be thanking Millar for making Pym a more interesting character. In fact, next to Mr. Fantastic and Spider-Man, he's probably one of my favorite ultimate characters. ;)

Welcome!

Goodwill said:
Losers are more prevelant and more human than winners, though. In that respect, you should be thanking Millar for making Pym a more interesting character. In fact, next to Mr. Fantastic and Spider-Man, he's probably one of my favorite ultimate characters. ;)

Welcome!

Goody's right, and remember that making the superhero into a regular guy is what has set Marvel apart from DC.

I think Millar has done a wonderful job of explaining the grey area. It's something that is lacking from comics a great deal, and in the world in general, that seems to be becoming increasingly polarised into the falsehoods of good and evil.
I mean, hey, Hank Pym is a wife beater, and we like the guy. Banner killed hundreds, and we have massive sympathy for him. Tony Stark is a womanising alcoholic, and frankly, we'd all love to be him.
Good and evil doesn't exist in Millar's world, as it doesn't in the real world. Which is why these books are such a hit. Hell, the whole skrull thing can be seen as a parody even, I'm sure one the characters says "things don't get more black and white than this". And it's true, they don't, ever, they don't even come close.

Good and evil does exist in Millar's world. Pym had no sympathy from me when he beat his wife. Hulk has no sympathy for me but Banner gets all of my sympathy and Stark is a womanizer and an alcoholic but he's not a rapist and alcoholism is a subject pending on the observers (personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it :wink: ). You're right they do a great job with the "grey" areas but Pym was a bad guy and he's no longer in the grey he's coming out of the black.

I think that referencing Pym's depression before the beating incident, gave us cause to have sympathy, and in some twisted way, understand his actions. Though I hasten to add, never condone them. In all the stories we've seen from the Ultimates, I personally can't see a fully good, or evil force, aside from the skrulls, at any point in the writing. But that's just me.

Latest posts

Back