Mark Millar discusses Ultimate Defenders with ComiCon.com

The defenders is superb for the idea of a superhero team, in this 'real' ultimate world, everyone else has massive financial backing. But superpowered people are popping up left right and centre, of course you're gonna get some amateurs wanting to be the ultimates, Cap gets man of the year, it's certainly going to inspire the tough guys to wear a pair of brightly coloured trousers and try it for themselves. A mirror o the ultimates, and a break away from them.

I think after the big Thor fight, there will need to be a certain 'time-out' away from the big boys, a lot has gone down in the first three issues, and I think the same again will happen in the next two. I very much feel that events that happen in the Ultimates #5 will leave the ultimates themselves wanting something of a break. And this issue is the perfect space to fit that in, it's going to be a more light-hearted book, but absolutely relevant to the telling of the ultimates story. A lot of time has been invested in the hank pym character, merely having him mope in his apartment for another 5 issues without a goal wouldn't really do what has gone before justice.

Guijllons said:
The defenders is superb for the idea of a superhero team, in this 'real' ultimate world, everyone else has massive financial backing. But superpowered people are popping up left right and centre, of course you're gonna get some amateurs wanting to be the ultimates, Cap gets man of the year, it's certainly going to inspire the tough guys to wear a pair of brightly coloured trousers and try it for themselves. A mirror o the ultimates, and a break away from them.

Exactly. Apple has software that let offers amazing control over music production using just a basic computer - no fancy recording studios, etc. This is just like that. Some of that power got down to the little guy and he wants to emulate his heroes. Great concept.

UltimateE said:
Exactly. Apple has software that let offers amazing control over music production using just a basic computer - no fancy recording studios, etc. This is just like that. Some of that power got down to the little guy and he wants to emulate his heroes. Great concept.
I like this analogy. It's exactly the reason why I think Luke Cage/Power Man's presence on the Ultimate Defenders doesn't necessarily indicate that Millar is planning to take a crap on the character. It's how he decides to present him, treat him or write his dialogue that'll REALLY be the final say on whether that take will be willfully disrespectful or not.

While I can see your point, I hardly think this should be introduced in a time like this. The tensions are raised quite highly now that we are anticipating a fight with Thor and to have these characters come out of left field only to get in the way is distracting and annoying, at least in my opinion. Surely, they won't be taken as far as you all would expect them to go...

After the huge events of the Thor/Loki arc, a time to pause would be a good storytelling device. We will have to wait and imagine, and think about what is happening to the main group of heroes, rather than being party to their every move. It's a one off issue really, a break. "the power of the white space" it's called in design circles. I think it's perfect timing.

Guijllons said:
Possibly, but I think it would be even more lame if they stuffed up against a mugger. Maybe it's walrus-man, or the walrus or whatever he was called. :)

That's what I mean. Not a huge threat but just a fun ultimization of a lame villain that isn't really a big cosmic threat but The Ultimate Defenders have a hard time taking down because they're amateurs.

Goodwill said:
While I can see your point, I hardly think this should be introduced in a time like this. The tensions are raised quite highly now that we are anticipating a fight with Thor and to have these characters come out of left field only to get in the way is distracting and annoying, at least in my opinion. Surely, they won't be taken as far as you all would expect them to go...

Disagree. Lame superdorks coming on the scene at EXACTLY the wrong time to screw everything up sounds awesome.

Well, we'll have to see... I'm going to guess that it was just add to the congested title. We've got just as many characters on the team as we did with Ultimate X-Men before Millar left and we saw what little he did with the individuals on that team. We've got some developed characters (Giant Manm Captain America) and we've got some under-developed characters (Hawkeye, Black Widow) that will need some time to grow before these Defenders burst on to the scene. The only way Widow is getting panels is if she's in a suit that her buoy made here or she's attached at the hip with the more interesting Iron Man. It's starting to shape up like that for Wasp, too. I don't find her interesting. We'll see how much of a good thing the Defenders are when they show up.

I don't think any are gonna be goofballs. I just think they're gonna be full of the best intentions, but don't have any experience at running that kind of outfit. Naive and undisciplined is all.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Do you guys really think they're gonna be all goofballs on the Defenders... I'm sure some of them will be naive and silly characters but I'm thinkin' some of them should be takin' seriously.
I think Millar is going to do a double-sided approach and play them straight AND as goofballs. If anything, I think it's a realistic way to do "justice" to Luke Cage/Power Man.

please tell me power mans not the one in the yellow pants. god
he reminds me of the reinactments on americas most wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
Leather's take on the whole Defenders thing

I think the Defenders make their appearance because Thor's kicks the crap out of the Ultimates and Fury goes to THEM and brings them in to fill in for the Ultimates while the others heal up.

heh heh heh

Wouldn't that be sweet?

Or - mebbe they come to Thor's aid? Valkyrie is on the team and there are a few mystics involved with the Defenders . . . wouldn't be nuthin' for them to just appear in the woods.

WHAM! Kick the Ultimates behinds. heh heh heh.

No? Me either. But wouldn't it be sweeter?

OK, some legit things I have heard are the following:

The only Defender in the story of any merit or development is only supposed to be Damien Hellstrom, aka Son of Satan or whatever other goofy names he's had.

And we all now know for sure that Loki is real which makes Thor legit. Which in turn may make Valkyrie legit.

That's really sweet.

One more hypothesis:

The Defenders come to break Thor out after the Ultimates, however unlikely in my biased opinon, "take him down.". Again the Valkyrie link. This causes them to ally with The Ultimates who realize, suddenly, that Loki is for real (Nick Fury comes to this webpage and looks at the neat little explanation on that thread and says "Muthaf . . . ," as he scratches his chin and then Loki f's up and reveals himself. Fury kisses and makes up with Thor who then squashes Fury for being a weak minded jackass.

Now that, that would be truly sweet.

Blessed Be!

Leather

I still think that valkyrie is little more than Thor's biggest fan. She's fashioned her own costume to look like him.Maybe it's jane, the girl we see Thor with in the woods.

See, this happens a lot. You have a superfan that tries to build a connection to their hero, they find aspects in their history that match that of the hero. We know Jane used to be a nurse, so did Thor, perhaps she is actually believing that she and Thor are the same. Or at least she is trying to be the same.

It's possible.

Guijllons said:
I still think that valkyrie is little more than Thor's biggest fan. She's fashioned her own costume to look like him.Maybe it's jane, the girl we see Thor with in the woods.

See, this happens a lot. You have a superfan that tries to build a connection to their hero, they find aspects in their history that match that of the hero. We know Jane used to be a nurse, so did Thor, perhaps she is actually believing that she and Thor are the same. Or at least she is trying to be the same.

It's possible.
it is possible but come on that would be to easy of a backstory for her. that she is trying to be like thor so she makes her suit look kind if like his.

Latest posts

Back