Marvel announces "Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine"; "Ultimate Invasion" minis

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
From Newsarama:

"Marvel's Ultimate Universe – the Gold Standard panel began at 4:30pm EST Saturday, and while CBR will be providing the blow-by-blow later today, Newsarama was able to catch up with Joe Quesada late this week before the con began for a preview of some of the news to come.

Among the announcements will be Marvel's fourth major exclusive signing of the weekend, artist Leinil Francis Yu.

Marvel, who promised major exclusive announcements during the summer, seems to have stacked the deck for Chicago in an effort to win the buzz factor outright for the weekend. That strategy seems to be paying off against a seemingly conservative DC Comics this time around.

Yu's first extended project under his new agreement with be an Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine limited series, detailing the first meeting between the characters.

According to Quesada, a "very special writer" attached to the project will be announced shortly. Newsarama has learned that the unamed writer will come from outside of comics.

"Oh and wait until you see all the new powers that are discovered by... um, I better stop now," Quesada said.

Also on the panel agenda is the announcement of the next major Ultimate Universe limited series. Springing out of the upcoming "Tomb of Namor" arc in Ultimate Fantastic Four that introduces the Sub-Mariner and Atlantis to the Ultimate Universe, the series will be called "Ultimate Invasion" ("Ultimate Atlantis Attacks" anyone?) and will be written by Brian Bendis based on an idea he's had for 1½ years.

It will be penciled by (according to Quesada) an "incredibly special artist", the announcement of whom the Marvel E-I-C again said was being held for another time.

Whether or that artist could be new exclusive artist Michael Turner (or someone else entirely) may or may not be revealed this afternoon. Turner, who of course created his own Aspen series Fathom, could be a perfect fit for a series dealing with the ocean and water.

Quesada also told Newsarama readers to look out for the conclusion of the Ultimates Vol. II, which leads into...

"The Ultimates Vol. III and the announcement of the new creative team that will prove to be the biggest and most unexpected announcement in years," said the E-I-C.
"

Read the rest of the panel by clicking on the link above.

ultimate invasion...man it would be sweet to see namor go up against the human torch (the original one...though since he dosen't exist in the uu...perhaps not)

Oooh....

Ultimate Invasion and Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine....

I wonder if we'll see Wendigo in the latter comic... but I can't image who's going to figure out a new ability. I'm going to assume the Hulk, because what could they do to Wolverine to make him a better fighter than he is? Unless they take a Bigby Wolf approach and give him the ability to track down people from anywhere on the globe... Maybe they're not even talking about one of the two of them... But I think that if that takes place in Canada, it'd be a GREAT way to introduce Alpha Flight and/or Department H as the Canadian answer to the Ultimates and SHIELD...

And Michael Turner on Ultimate Invasion would be spectacular, and I'd love to see the original Human Torch show up... We'll have to see...

So much ultimate goodness. And I read right, there's still more news to come. All of it sounds f*in sweet. I think I'll start getting USM singles with #100.

Good stuff.

Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine is a stupid name, hopefully they'll call it something better. But another writer from outside of comics? He better not screw with the UU anymore.

Ultimate Invasion sounds cool. Hopefully Bendis will make it cool, so it doesn't fall on it's ***.

And as for Ultimates 3, I'm still stuck on the writer but I'm going for Steve Dillion on pencils.

being a fan of continuity and previous mentions and such...i love the thought of ultimate hulk vs. wolverine since its where we first saw wolverine for the first time in 616

Ultimate Gambit said:
ya and the Clone Saga is coming which is sweet

Where did you read this? I thought it had only been rumoured...

Bendis on an Ultimate Atlantis Attacks? AWESOME. I cannot wait for that.

A new writer on Ultimate Hulk Vs. Wolverine? Great idea for a mini (hopefully no more than 4 issues), but with Card mucking up Tony Stark I'm a little nervous about this...

Great news! I'm excited.

I'm not quite clear - are they announcing the Ultimates 3 team at Chicago?

Oh, I hadn't click on the link.

But now I have, sweet pictures!

Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira possibly writing Ultimates 3. The conclusion of GTA, will apparently lead into Ultimates 3 and it's creative team.

The Hulk has a green tinge in the Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk mini. He's supposed to be grey!

Good to see a zombie Thor, Falcon, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Hulk and Iron Fist in UFF. And Magneto's saving the FF with cars.

Is it possible for someone to copy and past what's posted at newsarama. I can't access that site. I know you can't do the images, but I'm freaking out about hearing things like Singer is not doing his thing till summer.... did they say BKV is staying on till then?

ultimatekramer said:
Is it possible for someone to copy and past what's posted at newsarama. I can't access that site. I know you can't do the images, but I'm freaking out about hearing things like Singer is not doing his thing till summer.... did they say BKV is staying on till then?

We really can't... maybe someone can PM it to you. But we can't duplicate the entire article here.

ProjectX2 said:
Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira possibly writing Ultimates 3. The conclusion of GTA, will apparently lead into Ultimates 3 and it's creative team.

Hmmm...I was hoping for Warren Ellis or Alan Moore. THAT would be unexpected.

Latest posts

Back