Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I think at this point it's best to see it as 2 options.

a). The movie begins in May 2008 and it takes Ivan until November 2009 to complete his armor.
b). Vanko and his father aren't watching "I Am Iron Man" live and the movie begins in November 2009. Given his father's hatred for Howard and most likely Tony, it makes sense he would have recorded the speech and hate watch it. Ivan telling him to turn it off could be because it's a continuing thing his father does.

We see a number of news articles and magazine covers that show time passage in the opening montage. Whether it's the montage itself or they were already there pre-montage, I think it's easy to see how Ivan can't finish his armor in May 2008.

I think it's a good compromise with all the evidence. The main contradiction to this is Fury's "last year" comment when referring to the events of Thor. 2010 fits with Natasha's "over a year without an incident " line with Bruce, fits with the 2010 Stark Expo promo, fits with the Monaco Grand Prix falling in May 2010, brings Iron Man 2 around its release date, Thor around its filming date, and The Incredible Hulk closer to its release date, and it allows more time for Tony to turn the Metlife Building into Stark Tower.

One issue I have though is how the week in What-If is shown. The nexus event in What-If shouldn't affect that portion of the timeline and it should match with the MCU. That episode begins with Tony at Randy's Donuts on a Monday which would mean it's May 31st, 2010. This is meant to be the day after his birthday party with his birthday falling on May 29th. I guess we could assume that while his birthday was the 29th, he didn't have the party until the 30th, but 2011 would have fit these days perfectly.
i agree with everything you've said here, the way i'm reconciling the what if episode is that in episode 1 red skull finds the space stone following Peggy's procedure while in the main timeline he finds it in March 1942, over a year before Steve's experiment, meaning we can't really use the what if episodes as any kind of template unfortunately

On Marvel's page it says:

"...will be the go-to resource for fans who are hoping to connect the dots and truly understand the complex web of interconnections between the different Marvel movies and television series."

Do they mean pre-disney+ series or not? Because i believe the will cover phases 1-4 and there's actually not much connections between movies and those shows. Basically WandaVision heavily connects with previous movies and DS: MoM later. The other shows are just seeds for next projects.
I know that there is shown an example page about Age of Iltron and we don't see anything about AoS or Netflix shows that take place in 2015 too. But WHAT IF pre-Disney+ shows have their own sections. Remember that according to my calculations there's still over 100 pages to fill with something.

On Marvel's page it says:

"...will be the go-to resource for fans who are hoping to connect the dots and truly understand the complex web of interconnections between the different Marvel movies and television series."

Do they mean pre-disney+ series or not? Because i believe the will cover phases 1-4 and there's actually not much connections between movies and those shows. Basically WandaVision heavily connects with previous movies and DS: MoM later. The other shows are just seeds for next projects.
I know that there is shown an example page about Age of Iltron and we don't see anything about AoS or Netflix shows that take place in 2015 too. But WHAT IF pre-Disney+ shows have their own sections. Remember that according to my calculations there's still over 100 pages to fill with something.
I think it's best to not get your hopes up. So far there's nothing really showing that they plan on referencing the Marvel Television shows. The Disney + shows for the most part have had some form of interconnectedness, some we still haven't seen yet, and Feige has even used that quote before when specifically speaking about the Marvel Studios shows and their relation to their films. I believe it's wishful thinking at this point to expect anything Marvel Television-related. At most there may be vague references regarding Daredevil like Matt defeating Fisk or Fisk escaping prison.

Can any time travel nerds explain this to me one more time:

Grandfather paradoxes don't create branched timelines and will erase what came before as a result of the change (i.e. Runaways' series finale)
BUT a branched timeline is created by... what? If not a grandfather paradox and obviously not a bootstrap one.

Can any time travel nerds explain this to me one more time:

Grandfather paradoxes don't create branched timelines and will erase what came before as a result of the change (i.e. Runaways' series finale)
BUT a branched timeline is created by... what? If not a grandfather paradox and obviously not a bootstrap one.
I think it's simply Marvel Studios and Marvel Television not lining up on their rules. Whether you see the shows as canon or not, it's clear that the division between the two is a factor.

I think it's simply Marvel Studios and Marvel Television not lining up on their rules. Whether you see the shows as canon or not, it's clear that the division between the two is a factor.
The branching and grandfather paradox erasure co-existing has been the case in the comics, animation and as well as other adjacent Marvel multiverse properties like Spider-Verse.

This wasn't a discussion about MCU canon. Just a time travel logic question.

Yeah this is it pretty much. Marvel Studios and Runaways were developing and releasing time travel stories at similar times without talking to each other about their rules. The method would make no difference, the timeline doesn't care how to move about it it'll work just the same. If there was a way to time travel without the cause of branches the TVA would use it. This comes down to Real-World issues creating an canonicity error, just something you gotta shrug off.

Yeah this is it pretty much. Marvel Studios and Runaways were developing and releasing time travel stories at similar times without talking to each other about their rules. The method would make no difference, the timeline doesn't care how to move about it it'll work just the same. If there was a way to time travel without the cause of branches the TVA would use it. This comes down to Real-World issues creating an canonicity error, just something you gotta shrug off.
I'll mention it again:
The branching and grandfather paradox erasure co-existing has been the case in the comics, animation and as well as other adjacent Marvel multiverse properties like Spider-Verse.

This wasn't a discussion about MCU canon. Just a time travel logic question.

I'll mention it again:
Again it comes down to a thousand different writers using different methods with no clear rules on time travel, how it works and how it affects a timeline. MS has their method, different shows and comics and writers have theirs. MS just clearly defined their rules without extending that to MT.

Again it comes down to a thousand different writers using different methods with no clear rules on time travel, how it works and how it affects a timeline. MS has their method, different shows and comics and writers have theirs. MS just clearly defined their rules without extending that to MT.
I'm sure the Marvel Studios projects alone aren't going to line up 100%. Time travel can get convoluted, especially when you have a number of different creatives working within the same universe.

Again it comes down to a thousand different writers using different methods with no clear rules on time travel, how it works and how it affects a timeline. MS has their method, different shows and comics and writers have theirs. MS just clearly defined their rules without extending that to MT
See, this is what kinda ruins comic book stuff for me in some ways.
Unseen "destiny" essentially allows some timelines to co-exist and at other times not to with the same method.

My personal head canon has been the methods differentiate the effect rather than the writer flubbing lore for the sake of story.
They're allowed to tell that story, it's just when getting so deep into the mythology as we have with Marvel/DC - the more you kinda have to fill in the blanks yourself, I feel like.

That's why "No Prizes" existed in the Stan Lee letter pages. ha

Unseen "destiny" essentially allows some timelines to co-exist and at other times not to with the same method.

My personal head canon has been the methods differentiate the effect rather than the writer flubbing lore for the sake of story.
They're allowed to tell that story, it's just when getting so deep into the mythology as we have with Marvel/DC - the more you kinda have to fill in the blanks yourself, I feel like.

I think that's any medium. Especially with brands as expansive as Marvel & DC. It's hard to keep precise rules over time with a huge number of different creatives who all have their own ideas for how stuff works. It's something I've learned you just have to accept with fiction.

It's true, shit like this leaves blanks, if you got your own reasoning to help fill them in then use it. Whatever helps right lol

I think that's any medium. Especially with brands as expansive as Marvel & DC. It's hard to keep precise rules over time with a huge number of different creatives who all have their own ideas for how stuff works. It's something I've learned you just have to accept with fiction.
I guess it's more or less just the expectation for fans to have this level of knowledge of canon/lore from the MCU, hence why we're getting the timeline book, but it seems like we've already reached the point where their own logic starts to break down into "Magical Possibility".

Not really surprised about the delays. I expect some of the movies are going to follow suit.
Theres a Disney Showcase about their theatrical slate in a couple weeks if I'm not mistaken. We'll likely get some rescheduling there.

As for the new Agatha title it seems this is incorrect. Various logos for the series were leaked a while back each seemingly being an episode of the series parodying other films and shows. The Darkhold Diaries logo was in the style Princess Diaries, another was Agnes of Westview in the style of Mare of Easttown. Its possible that the series has been renamed Darkhold Diaries but I'm fairly certain this was a mixup

Latest posts

Back