Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 3)

just finished what if s02 e01 and it was alright, felt a lot like blade runner, timeline wise takes place 5 years after what would have been GOTG 1, (so 2019/2020) but I feel like there is so many different continuity errors from the main timeline (Yondu's fin being from GotG 2 instead of 1, where is Gamora?, Yon Rogg's appearance, etc.) that I think marvel just waves it away as being a different timeline so......Meh.

I'm not fussed just harder to organise the multiverse/what if... episodes (by release order, chronological order, mix of both, etc.)

wonder how they incorporate the missing season 1 stories and whether we can place them back into season 1 or if it will be like a flashback episode.

Viewing Order So Far:

Endgame
Loki S01E01 - S01E04
Loki S01E04 Mid-Credits Scene
Loki S01E05 - S01E06
Loki S02E01
Loki S02E01 Mid-Credits Scene
Loki S02E02 - S02E06
What If... S01E01 - S01E09 (Spans 1943 - 2018)
What If... S01E09 Post-Credits Scene
What If... S02E01 (2019/2020?)

What If... S02E02 (1988/1989?)

(616 Multiverse)
(Other Marvel Multiverses)

Wonder how they incorporate the missing season 1 stories and whether we can place them back into season 1 or if it will be like a flashback episode
On this if I recall a leak from way back said The Watcher would address the fact that we'd already seen Gamora saying something along the lines of "your probably wondering where that Gamora came from" so it seems the plan was they'd address that we've already met the character and not seen the origin

just finished what if s02 e01 and it was alright, felt a lot like blade runner, timeline wise takes place 5 years after what would have been GOTG 1, (so 2019/2020) but I feel like there is so many different continuity errors from the main timeline (Yondu's fin being from GotG 2 instead of 1, where is Gamora?, Yon Rogg's appearance, etc.) that I think marvel just waves it away as being a different timeline so......Meh.
It was said in the episode that Gamora was killed alongside Thanos, leaving Nebula alone and without her adoptive father or sister. And I really don't see how Yon-Rogg's appearance is a continuity error since AFAIK he's only been in the Captain Marvel movie. For all we know, he could've been captured by the Nova Corps at some point before the events of the episode.

But overall, I actually liked this episode due to the Blade Runner and Judge Dredd vibes it gave off, especially since Nebula's one of my favourite characters in the MCU with a pretty impressive character arc. Helps that Karen Gillian is also an amazing actress who I just adore, no thanks in part due to her roles in Doctor Who and Jumanji.

So yeah, solid start to Season 2, much like with Loki. Here's hoping that the rest of the episodes will also hold up.

It was said in the episode that Gamora was killed alongside Thanos, leaving Nebula alone and without her adoptive father or sister. And I really don't see how Yon-Rogg's appearance is a continuity error since AFAIK he's only been in the Captain Marvel movie. For all we know, he could've been captured by the Nova Corps at some point before the events of the episode.

But overall, I actually liked this episode due to the Blade Runner and Judge Dredd vibes it gave off, especially since Nebula's one of my favourite characters in the MCU with a pretty impressive character arc. Helps that Karen Gillian is also an amazing actress who I just adore, no thanks in part due to her roles in Doctor Who and Jumanji.

So yeah, solid start to Season 2, much like with Loki. Here's hoping that the rest of the episodes will also hold up.
If anything, it confirms Yon-Rogg is alive by present day in the sacred timeline.

interestingly enough if the title card had said 1989 then it could have kept peter being abducted in august 88 and made sense for pym to have already quit shield

just finished What if s02 e02 and it was ok, i can't quite put my finger on what I'm not enjoying as much from this series idk if it's the fact that I'm just used to sleeker animation and emotion in the characters (that was a weak ass winter soldier resolution compared to the 2 movies worth of development bucky needed to even begin to escape his winter soldier identity)

more sacred timeline continuity errors like Hank quitting shield early and the containment unit being built before the hulk showed up on the scene but again hand wavy multiverse reasons so its ok..... :(

btw I've mapped out the years where the main events from what if S01 and S02 so far take place in case we need it later but I have a feeling that the best viewing order for what if... at least as a whole is release order as i feel like we will be returning to these new branches in the season finale lol kinda like the loom from loki (e.g. many branches get turned into a single string/point aka the finale episode and then it starts over again for a new season)

WI S01E01 (1943-1944/1945)
WI S01E02 (2008)
WI S01E03 (2010 or 2011)

WI S02E04 (May 2012) ?

WI S01E04 (Early 2018)
WI S01E05 (May 2018)
WI S01E06 (2008 or 2009 or 2010)
WI S01E07 (2010 or 2011)
WI S01E08 (Mid-Late 2015)
WI S01E09 (Mid-Late 2015)
WI S02E05 (Between January - May 2014)
WI S02E07 (Somewhere between 575 BC - 1521)
WI S02E02 (1988)
WI S02E04 (May 2012)
WI S02E03 (Christmas Eve 2014)
WI S02E01 (2019)
WI S02E06 (Somewhere between 1493 - 1504)
WI S02E08 (1602)
WI S02E09 (?)

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to say a quick apology for the lack of updating I've done for What If's new season. This Christmas has been stupid busy and the rest of my weekend is still booked lol so much family to see, so little time. I haven't even sat down to watch the latest two episodes yet. I'm hoping my schedule is gonna be clear by Monday so I can have a chance to binge watch the released episodes and update the timeline asap.

Merry Christmas to everyone here! I hope you all have a very happy holiday!

Hey guys, just wanted to say a quick apology for the lack of updating I've done for What If's new season. This Christmas has been stupid busy and the rest of my weekend is still booked lol so much family to see, so little time. I haven't even sat down to watch the latest two episodes yet. I'm hoping my schedule is gonna be clear by Monday so I can have a chance to binge watch the released episodes and update the timeline asap.

Merry Christmas to everyone here! I hope you all have a very happy holiday!
'tis the season :) of course enioy, the timeline will be here

Latest posts

Back