Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I have a question:

In the event that any of your timeline projects introduces alternate universes/timelines (whether it's because of time travel or anything else), how do you list it in comparison to the other movies/TV episodes?

I'll likely take same approach as I do with the DC-CW/Arrowverse timeline and all its various alternate realities. In that case, I list the alternate reality next to entries in brackets, for instance [Earth-2] or [Earth-38]. It remains to be seen how the MCU will approach the alternate reality angle, though we're getting an inkling of it in Agents of SHIELD Season 5. Once we get more info (and confirmation of which reality it is, if it's even named) I'll make necessary adjustments. Otherwise, I'll use that same approach for any distinct alternate realities portrayed, though that brings up number of questions regarding the various different realms seen in the Doctor Strange film.

That doesn't take into account the reference to the Obama administration in Runaways, though. Alternative theory: perhaps Ellis was a prominent member of the Obama administration in the MCU (maybe even vice president), and stepped in when Obama had to step down for some reason, then ran for and was elected president in 2012. That would explain all the existing references to both presidents, with his involvement in the oil spill and bioweapons background mentioned in Iron Man 3 taking place when he was either acting president or a senior member of the administration.

In the event that any of your timeline projects introduces alternate universes/timelines (whether it's because of time travel or anything else), how do you list it in comparison to the other movies/TV episodes?

That's an interesting question considering the upcoming Into the Spider-Verse film. If they acknowledge the MCU as one of the alternate realities in that film (and it's just speculation at this point, but fun speculation nonetheless), along with some of the other previous Spider-Man theatrical releases, would they all get listed here? How prominent do you think the crossover would have to be for preexisting films to be included in this timeline?

I'm curious about how the TV side of things will be handled if Disney takes over FOX, if Legion and The Gifted will be allowed a second/third season to wrap things up or if they'll be ended immediately to make way for the X-MCU characters, or if they'll be left alone since they're not even directly connected to the X-Men film universe anyway. I'm assuming the X-Men films we know about are far enough along in the pipeline that they would still be released?

TC

Last edited:
Not to put a damper on things with Runaways but I personally don't think it was initially intended to be MCU. For months I kept reading articles about Runaways and yet none of them ever mentioned that this was an MCU property, but everyone just assumes that it is because Marvel made it. Suddenly about a month before it started airing, they announced it was, maybe to make sure fans didn't get in a twizz over its canonicity. That could be why there are no overt references to the grander MCU in Runaways. I've only watched the first 3 episodes and the only thing I could find was the news channel was WHIH which could have been done in post. So the Obama reference may not have been a mistake but an unfortunate side-effect of suddenly retconning it into MCU.

That doesn't take into account the reference to the Obama administration in Runaways, though. Alternative theory: perhaps Ellis was a prominent member of the Obama administration in the MCU (maybe even vice president), and stepped in when Obama had to step down for some reason, then ran for and was elected president in 2012. That would explain all the existing references to both presidents, with his involvement in the oil spill and bioweapons background mentioned in Iron Man 3 taking place when he was either acting president or a senior member of the administration.

Did Runaways directly mention him as president? Can't remember.

That's an interesting question considering the upcoming Into the Spider-Verse film. If they acknowledge the MCU as one of the alternate realities in that film (and it's just speculation at this point, but fun speculation nonetheless), along with some of the other previous Spider-Man theatrical releases, would they all get listed here? How prominent do you think the crossover would have to be for preexisting films to be included in this timeline?

Eh, I won't be taking a Wold-Newton approach and including everything. It would have to be definitively and directly linked to the MCU to be included.

I'm curious about how the TV side of things will be handled if Disney takes over FOX, if Legion and The Gifted will be allowed a second/third season to wrap things up or if they'll be ended immediately to make way for the X-MCU characters, or if they'll be left alone since they're not even directly connected to the X-Men film universe anyway. I'm assuming the X-Men films we know about are far enough along in the pipeline that they would still be released?

TC

I don't think they'll end popular and critically praised shows like that. Its simple to continue them, retain their audience, and keep those shows their own thing unconnected to the MCU (as Fox did with Gotham and Arrowverse, unconnected to the DCEU). As for upcoming films, Dark Phoenix and Deadpool 2 will release as normal. It remains to be seen how they'll approach it afterward, but I do think its a given we'll see reboots of the X-Men and FF properties eventually.

Not to put a damper on things with Runaways but I personally don't think it was initially intended to be MCU. For months I kept reading articles about Runaways and yet none of them ever mentioned that this was an MCU property, but everyone just assumes that it is because Marvel made it. Suddenly about a month before it started airing, they announced it was, maybe to make sure fans didn't get in a twizz over its canonicity. That could be why there are no overt references to the grander MCU in Runaways. I've only watched the first 3 episodes and the only thing I could find was the news channel was WHIH which could have been done in post. So the Obama reference may not have been a mistake but an unfortunate side-effect of suddenly retconning it into MCU.

Yeah, maybe. Either way, its officially a part of the MCU now, though I always think it was intended to be, since it just makes sense to capitalize on the MCU's success. It's just very much in its own corner of the universe.

What was the Obama comment? I honestly don't remember. Is it possible to salvage that in terms of the established Ellis presidency timeline? As in, maybe Obama won the 2016 Election in the MCU--so you had Ellis from 2008-2016, and Obama taking office in Jan 2017, which works for Runaways being set in Nov 2017. Does that work?

Did Runaways directly mention him as president? Can't remember.

What was the Obama comment? I honestly don't remember. Is it possible to salvage that in terms of the established Ellis presidency timeline? As in, maybe Obama won the 2016 Election in the MCU--so you had Ellis from 2008-2016, and Obama taking office in Jan 2017, which works for Runaways being set in Nov 2017. Does that work?

The quote was from Nico to her mom. She said "we haven't gone out as a family since the Obama administration". So, I don't think that solution really works

The quote was from Nico to her mom. She said "we haven't gone out as a family since the Obama administration". So, I don't think that solution really works

Why not push Obama's presidency back to ending in 2008?

It's official:

Combining with Disney are 21st Century Fox's critically acclaimed film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox 2000, which together offer diverse and compelling storytelling businesses and are the homes of Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool, as well as The Grand Budapest Hotel, Hidden Figures, Gone Girl, The Shape of Water and The Martian—and its storied television creative units, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21, which have brought The Americans, This Is Us, Modern Family, The Simpsons and so many more hit TV series to viewers across the globe. Disney will also acquire FX Networks, National Geographic Partners, Fox Sports Regional Networks, Fox Networks Group International, Star India and Fox's interests in Hulu, Sky plc, Tata Sky and Endemol Shine Group.

Last edited:

Ah, fair point, unless...

This could work. Course that'd mean Nico was referring to a time when she was only around 7-8 years old, but that works.

While my link was posted in good faith, the page entitled "Marvel Cinematic Universe" actually lists itself as a fan page with no official backing. I apologise if I got anyone's hopes up.

While my link was posted in good faith, the page entitled "Marvel Cinematic Universe" actually lists itself as a fan page with no official backing. I apologise if I got anyone's hopes up.

No need. The deal has been finalized and officially announced.

That said, while the deal between Disney/Fox went through, it's not totally done. It still requires FCC approval (due to antitrust laws), and that process takes 18 months. So, it won't be completely finalized until mid 2019 (and that assumes the FCC doesn't try to block the deal, which they may). So, we likely won't hear anything about this officially from Marvel Studios at next year's Comic Con... though if it is approved it'll likely happen a month or two before SDCC 2019.

And, if worst comes to worst, and the deal isn't approved, Disney can still buy those intellectual properties (X-Men and FF) from Fox piecemeal, without violating or possibly violating any antitrust laws, if Fox is willing at that point. Still a long way to go before it's finalized.

Last edited:

This could work. Course that'd mean Nico was referring to a time when she was only around 7-8 years old, but that works.

I guess this would be a good way to fit all real world Presidents in and still give Ellis his two terms. But it falls apart if you really think about it, since Obama wasn't even a US senator until 2005, and there's no way he would have even won the 2004 primary as a state senator.

I guess you could just pretend he is a little older and was elected to the Senate earlier in the MCU.

Hey, I haven't seen this mentioned here before, but apparently the WHiH connection in Runaways ties in a little more strongly with the MCU TV shows than we thought: the WHiH reporter in "Destiny" is played by an actress named "Coleen Sullivan". A "Colleen Sullivan" played a reporter on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the episode "The Laws of Infernal Dynamics". IMDB treats the two Sulllivans as separate individuals, but the MCU wiki believes they are the same person. I can't check the AoS episode in question ATM, can someone confirm?

(I imagine she must be used to having her name misspelled. "It's 'Coleen Sullivan'. With one 'L'. No, not 'Colleen Sulivan'...")

It may not amount to much, since Coleen Sullivan is apparently an actual reporter with an LA ABC affiliate and may be playing herself. But if she's reporting for WHiH in both shows, that seems to indicate another attempt at connecting the two shows in the background.

TC

Updated for Agents of SHIELD 5x05 "Rewind", which confirms the future stuff occurs in the year 2091. No word yet on if its an alternate reality, or a branched timeline caused by the destruction of the world. Guess we'll see if thats addressed in future episodes. If not, we'll just have to consider it a possible future they manage to avoid by fulfilling the prophecy... assuming thats how it works out.

I'm gonna try to count Fitz' monkeys and see if they add up to an exact number of days.

I'm glad they kept the timeline intact though. Seeing that "74 years later" tag put a smile on my face.

I'm gonna try to count Fitz' monkeys and see if they add up to an exact number of days.

I'm glad they kept the timeline intact though. Seeing that "74 years later" tag put a smile on my face.

Even easier, each line of the faces represents a week (7 monkey faces per line), so that makes it easier. I just counted by the weeks to determine the placements.

Latest posts

Back