Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Spanner in the works surrounding Punisher and the date Frank's family was murdered. In Daredevil 2x05, Karen is going through the papers to try and find some reference to the shooting and Ellison looks at the date and says "April 14th". However in the previous episode as Karen is going through Frank's house there is a hand turkey on the wall which would back up it happening just before thanksgiving.

Spanner in the works surrounding Punisher and the date Frank's family was murdered. In Daredevil 2x05, Karen is going through the papers to try and find some reference to the shooting and Ellison looks at the date and says "April 14th". However in the previous episode as Karen is going through Frank's house there is a hand turkey on the wall which would back up it happening just before thanksgiving.

I vote for "April 14th". That hand turkey paper could have been there for months, easily just left on the wall as if Frank's family didn't bother to remove for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Actually, doesn't that just mean Frank's family was killed April 14th, 2015? A few months before he first shows up in DD Season 2's first half, which occurs in late July, 2015? In fact that works out perfectly, doesn't it? As for the hand turkey, we can just presume it was kept up after the holiday for recognition of "artistic achievement". ;)

Just need to mark these entries as occurring on April 14, 2015. Thanks for heads up.

The Punisher 1x13: "Memento Mori" (0:23:22 - 0:23:40)
The Punisher 1x13: "Memento Mori" (0:23:45 - 0:23:59)
The Punisher 1x13: "Memento Mori" (0:24:02 - 0:25:28)

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/7065BpQ

In episode 4 of Runaways, we can see that Alex's dad has a planner for 2018. Honestly, I think that this could take place in sping 2018 due to this and the clothing that the characters wear. It is clearly not winter.

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/7065BpQ

In episode 4 of Runaways, we can see that Alex's dad has a planner for 2018. Honestly, I think that this could take place in sping 2018 due to this and the clothing that the characters wear. It is clearly not winter.

The show occurs in LA, which as far as I know doesn't really have a winter anyway, hitting average lows of 48 degrees F, and highs of 68 degrees F, so it's a far cry from say, northern Minnesota. Also, it's either still November (late Fall) or very early December, so any temperature changes wouldn't be very noticeable anyway. The best timeline marker we have for the show so far is the Star Wars Battlefront/2 Years Ago since Amy Minoru's death. If it were more or less than 2 years it would likely reflect that on the Xbox, and it's likely Alex bought the game upon release (due to being affluent and a bit geeky) in November, 2015. So we know the show starts around Nov, 2017. And I doubt more than a month has passed, given the urgency of the show's plot line (them discovering their parents' secret and trying to expose them).

The planner may very well be brand new (it certainly looks it) and if the show is occurring only a month before end of year in 2017 (Nov/Dec) him having a planner for 2018 makes perfect sense. Him even having it for use makes sense given he's a businessman who'd be making plans for into the new year a month or so ahead of time.

Nico even mentions it took Alex 2 years to mention to her anything about Amy's death, meaning 1x08 "Tsunami" occurs not long after 1x01 "Reunion". This is further backed up by the episodes' overall plot having the next episode seemingly picking up the next day or immediately after conclusion of the previous episode. I'd wager the show covers only around two weeks total from start to finish, occurring entirely in November, 2017.

Last edited:
I dunno, I'm starting to think that Runaways could be a little further down the timeline. The "25 years ago" flashback to the Stein's university days in S1E7 "Refraction" prominently features laptop computers from the early 2000s--there's a 1999 iBook in plain view, and I'm pretty certain that one of the others is from around 2001. Also, they're watching a projection of a live video feed from an observatory in Hawaii, which doesn't seem likely to have been possible in 1992.

Now that dating has to be some kind of mistake one way or the other; it seems unlikely that they intended for that scene to be set in 1992 or the bulk of the show to be in 2026, but it does seem like the show may be intended to be set at least 2-3 years after "present day". It doesn't make much sense for the art directors to go "Hmmm, more than 20 years ago, early 90s, college kids, better make sure they have laptops!"

There are other minor hints in this direction; the Battlefront game seems to be a longstanding tradition between Alex and Amy, rather than something they'd been doing with a new game for less than a month, Molly doesn't even recognize a VHS tape, etc.

(True, in a universe with flying cars in the 1940s and cyborg and miniaturized soldiers in the 1980s, anything is possible, but "civilian" tech in the MCU seems to be about on pace with the real world.)

TC

Last edited:
I dunno, I'm starting to think that Runaways could be a little further down the timeline. The "25 years ago" flashback to the Stein's university days in S1E7 "Refraction" prominently features laptop computers from the early 2000s--there's a 1999 iBook in plain view, and I'm pretty certain that one of the others is from around 2001. Also, they're watching a projection of a live video feed from an observatory in Hawaii, which doesn't seem likely to have been possible in 1992.

Now that dating has to be some kind of mistake one way or the other; it seems unlikely that they intended for that scene to be set in 1992 or the bulk of the show to be in 2026, but it does seem like the show may be intended to be set at least 2-3 years after "present day". It doesn't make much sense for the art directors to go "Hmmm, more than 20 years ago, early 90s, college kids, better make sure they have laptops!"

There are other minor hints in this direction; the Battlefront game seems to be a longstanding tradition between Alex and Amy, rather than something they'd been doing with a new game for less than a month, Molly doesn't even recognize a VHS tape, etc.

(True, in a universe with flying cars in the 1940s and cyborg and miniaturized soldiers in the 1980s, anything is possible, but "civilian" tech in the MCU seems to be about on pace with the real world.)

TC

I don't know what to tell you. The evidence presented so far clearly aligns with it occurring in present day November, 2017 (least starting then). Tradition between them or not, we know he's playing the first Battlefront game (well, rebooted series anyway), and it clearly shows last time Amy played was 2 years prior, which aligns with its release in November 2015 (meaning she died not long after the game's release). As for the laptops, we can chalk it up to a production error (in terms of model of laptop being used before its creation in our world) or a nod to MCU being slightly ahead technology wise.

Molly is only 14 years old, meaning she was born around 2003, which makes perfect sense she doesn't know what a VHS tape is given those parameters (she was born after DVDs became industry norm and VHS tapes were being phased out, and by time she was a toddler and would remember such things, they'd well been phased out).

As for those college kids having laptops in early 1990's, we can assume its a combination of the MCU tech being slightly ahead of real world (say 5-10 years more or less), an indirect result of all the advanced tech SHIELD has slowly trickling down to consumer products, as well as fact its safe to assume Janet and Victor were attending a prestigious university (like Berkeley for instance) where such expensive advanced tech was more commonplace at the time.

Last edited:
Eh, I guess we'll see what future episodes show us. It doesn't seem like there's anything specifically tying the series to a November 2017 date so far, just that it's the earliest date it could take place given the Battlefront references, so there's room for a slight near future setting. (Though not too much, given that the 2016 election is within recent memory for the highschoolers.) Not disagreeing with the current placement, just pointing out that the Runaways timeline seems to be flexible.

TC

After seeing the latest episode, I agree with DIrishB that Runaways takes place in late 2017. This is due to:

1) The poster for the dance says "Non-Holiday Specific Seasonal Dance" which suggests that it takes place around Christmas time.

2) We see that Nico is still a baby during the "Fifteenth Years Ago" scene. We know that she is probably 17 (which is stated in another episode by one of the parents). 15 years ago from 2017 makes the year be 2002. If we make it so it's very early 2002, there is a chance that Nico is still a baby if she was born in very late 2000.

From this, I'm guessing that Runaways takes place in December 2017.

After seeing the latest episode, I agree with DIrishB that Runaways takes place in late 2017. This is due to:

1) The poster for the dance says "Non-Holiday Specific Seasonal Dance" which suggests that it takes place around Christmas time.

2) We see that Nico is still a baby during the "Fifteenth Years Ago" scene. We know that she is probably 17 (which is stated in another episode by one of the parents). 15 years ago from 2017 makes the year be 2002. If we make it so it's very early 2002, there is a chance that Nico is still a baby if she was born in very late 2000.

From this, I'm guessing that Runaways takes place in December 2017.

Yeah, I'm under impression its running from November to December, 2017, covering a few weeks maximum. In fact, in 1x09 "Doomsday", at around the 33:25 mark Jonah mentions the teens have been lying to their parents "for weeks" (since the events of the first and second episode when they discovered their parents' secret). Alex later mentions its "been a ****ty couple of weeks", also referring to beginning of the series, so two weeks seems correct.

Last edited:
Feige finally talked about the Spider-Man timeline. He's sticking to his guns, I guess

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/17...ce=fbk&utm_term=cb-fbk-m-us-a8d5cd2c.vln2b5c6

*cringe*

And I think there's a presumption, 'Well if the movie came out in November 2017, it must take place in November 2017' -- which is not the case.

Says the guy who tried to have Homecoming (2017) take place in 2017, rather than 2016 where it belongs.

Also funny how he said that they're using "I Am Iron Man" as their Battle of Yavin, which they did in Civil War... but then like 2 movies later it's now Avengers 1 as the jump off.

All they have to do is:
Spider-Man Homecoming 2: 2017-2018 school year (Junior)
Spider-Man Homecoming 3: 2018-2019 school year (Senior)

And let everything else that hasn't been released take place where it's released (for the most part, obviously not Captain Marvel).

Also, has anyone seen this? Does this fit this timeline, in simplified form at least? https://youtu.be/y_tJffqZtFs

Last edited:
Feige finally talked about the Spider-Man timeline. He's sticking to his guns, I guess

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/17...ce=fbk&utm_term=cb-fbk-m-us-a8d5cd2c.vln2b5c6

Kevin Feige said:
All of that debate has made us go, 'Okay, at some point, I'm not sure exactly when, we're going to publish a timeline and see what it all is.' It wasn't meant to flummox anybody exactly, and I'm not sure I'd do it again the same way, but it does all connect to where we placed it. Other than very particular instances where there's a newspaper, or verbal reference to years, we never date the films. And I think there's a presumption, 'Well if the movie came out in November 2017, it must take place in November 2017' -- which is not the case.

Well, that disputes much of the MCU wikia's approach to placing the MCU stuff... do I get to say "I told you so" now? ;)

Ryan Coogler says Black Panther picks up "basically immediately after Civil War"...

"Well, the film will take place basically immediately after Civil War. In many ways, he's the same guy. What I think is more important, and I was talking to my brother Keenan about it, who works with me, you get to see T'Challa at almost from a ground level. You get to see him and how he is around the people who he loves, how he is when he's comfortable.

As with all mentions by cast and crew, I'm taking this with a grain of salt, as it wouldn't be the first time the timeline displayed in the finished product strayed from claims made in interviews during or post production.

That was already posted in page 194.

If they release the new timeline in the same way as they did with the first Avengers movie, it will probably be released in the art book for Infinity War or Avengers 4.

Slightly off-topic, I keep track of the timeline discussion threads on the MCU wiki, and one of the guys in charge of working on the timeline is waiting for his account to be approved to debate on here, so get ready for that, I guess.

All they have to do is:
Spider-Man Homecoming 2: 2017-2018 school year (Junior)
Spider-Man Homecoming 3: 2018-2019 school year (Senior)

If Avengers 4 picks up shortly after IW, and Homecoming 2 is the tail end of his Junior Year, that will work fine.

Although I hope they get over this high school obsession with part 3 and just have him be in college.

Also, has anyone seen this? Does this fit this timeline, in simplified form at least? https://youtu.be/y_tJffqZtFs

Not bad. He made a few mistakes though. Off the top of my head:

- He says Cap's return was during Fury's Big Week. A common misconception for some reason.
- He has Hulk in between IM2 and Thor. Which is just a matter of preference and does make some sense with the way he fit in the One Shots.
- For some reason he put a bunch of AOS between the GotG movies.
- He moved Jessica Jones to way late 2015. Narratively, that does make more sense due to the way Luke Cage and Defenders act like JJ was not that long ago. But it contradicts on screen dates and winter weather.
- Instead of Luke Cage following DD2, he throws it in the middle of AOS 3 and the Civil War WHIH stuff.
- He does acknowledge the Homecoming snafu and is on point with Doctor Strange placement. Thumbs up!
- After that he gets wonky. Breaks up AOS 4 weirdly, and has IF and Defenders in mid-2017.

Other than that, he's mostly golden.

Well, that disputes much of the MCU wikia's approach to placing the MCU stuff... do I get to say "I told you so" now? ;)

Ha! Had the same thought.

BEJT from the MCU Wiki asked me to post the following. Spoiler-tagged since it's off-topic. Also, it's his words, not mine.

"-I am not A13G10. While I work with him as two of the main users who work on the MCU timeline, I did not approve of his outbursts nor would I act like that. He got heated and defensive.
-I have nothing to do with the "Timeline" page. That page is admin-locked, and I do not approve of the way it is run, and it is very uncomfortable. The work I have done has all been on the year pages - "Before 20th Century", "1900s", "1910s" etc. to "1990s", "2000s", "2010", "2011" etc. to "2017", and "2091".
-I am not the only user and have never yet had the time to survey the whole thing. There is undoubtedly many mistakes on minor things, but the placements of pretty much each film or one-shot or episode or video I am aware of and have checked.
-I, and others, have worked for years on this, and are not stupid. We have scoured everything just as much as TCB, and I have often read the TCB thread just in case we missed anything, it's a good source. TCB has also missed some things which we are aware of. I have, however, read through the thread and made any missing notes, for the sake of completion. I am very knowledgeable about all the ins and outs of the timeline, and just because things have sometimes been overruled on the timeline does not mean that they have been missed.
-I was always happy reading the thread as a bystander, but A13G10's arguing made me uncomfortable about the impression we were giving off and so I tried to create an account to be a civil voice from the wiki, but have been waiting for months for an approval. The disparaging comments, though, I have not been particularly happy about, especially since they're untrue. "Real time" is indeed what the "Timeline" page goes by, and it has bothered us for a long time. We have advocated against it for years, to no avail. But it is certainly not something we abide by on the actual timeline pages, as I'm sure we can all agree that it does not make sense. We base it on collecting all the evidence and reasoning the best dates we can. Often, that's not in accordance with the TCB timeline. For example, we do not put as much value in props such as a small phone date that was just the day they were filming. That is partly wiki policy, partly just the way we choose to work. Another is that the wiki timeline operates on specific dates for almost everything, even if it is just approximation. We find that this system works best for the way the wiki works, so long as no false claims are made in the references, but I also like the presentation of the TCB timeline and its hard-evidenced-dates-only, no mathemtically calculated approximations for vague flashbacks and the like. It works for that format. On that subject, we are trying to write full references explaining the placement of everything on each page, but it is admittedly a bit messy, some are a little outdated, and it is far from complete.
-It's a respectful disagreement and two different methods. Whether the disparaging comments have been because you have only looked at the very much divorced "Timeline" page, because of A13G10's approach, because of not taking the time to understand our placements (again, though, our references are far from done), because of a rivalry, or a mix of some or all of it, it has been quite frustrating feeling a bit attacked, unfairly, and with no means to respond. I was considering emailing DIrishB to get some of these messages across because it saddened me that the wiki timeline was being unfairly judged and treated without any way to respond.
-If my account were ever approved, it genuinely would just be kind debate. DIrishB seems like a nice guy. It would just be putting some things out there that have not been mentioned in the thread and you may not be aware of, and suggesting some smaller corrections - I don't expect to convince you of any major changes due to the different approaches."

So they also disagree with the real-time placements, but haven't been able to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Over on thetimelinesite version of this timeline, someone mentioned something regarding Runaways placement:

Dom said:
Hey Irish,
I've been trying to post on thecomicboard for a few weeks now, but I'm still awaiting approval. Just saw a post of someone waiting for a few months for approval, so I figured I should just post here.
First of all, great work on the timeline, always fun seeing you guys figure out where a new installment in the MCU fits.
Now, I've been following your discussion on the placement of Runaways, and there's one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet.
In the "25 years ago" flashback with Janet Stein, one of the students asks whether the other has already seen Reservoir Dogs. The US release date for that movie was October 23rd, 1992. So Runaways should take place at least after October 23rd, 2017. Hope this helps!

I didn't catch that in my first watch of the episode and haven't been able to check, but if true (and I have no reason to believe its not), it does indeed confirm Runaways occurs in present day (regarding its release) in late 2017.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back