Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Just saying if you're going to add Spider-Man in a commercial goofing off and accomplishing something trivial (1. he's in New York 2. He's Spider-Man) then why not Hulk accomplishing something trivial?

Hulk went missing at the end of Age of Ultron, so it's extremely unlikely that he'd have an office in plain sight in the middle of the city by the time Scott is Ant-Man.

Since Hulk is in space at this time (Thor: Ragnarok), then the earliest point the commercial could take place is after Thor: Ragnarok, and possibly even after Infinity War.

Even then, Scott has a new, more modernized, Ant-Man suit by the time Civil War takes place, and yet, he's wearing the old one in the commercial. Not to mention that he's most likely on the run as a fugitive after being broken out of the Raft along with the other members of Team Cap, a plot point which will be continued in Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Unless the new suit is physically a different one (meaning that Hank and Scott made a different suit for Civil War, but Hank still keeps the old one around) and Scott decided to wear the old one for stealing Hulk's Coke, then the commercial doesn't really fit anywhere on the timeline.

So we'll have to wait about a year until Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp come out, to see if the commercial is canon.

Last edited:
Hulk went missing at the end of Age of Ultron, so it's extremely unlikely that he'd have an office in plain sight in the middle of the city by the time Scott is Ant-Man.

Since Hulk is in space at this time (Thor: Ragnarok), then the earliest point the commercial could take place is after Thor: Ragnarok, and possibly even after Infinity War.

Even then, Scott has a new, more modernized, Ant-Man suit by the time Civil War takes place, and yet, he's wearing the old one in the commercial. Not to mention that he's most likely on the run as a fugitive after being broken out of the Raft along with the other members of Team Cap, a plot point which will be continued in Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Unless the new suit is physically a different one (meaning that Hank and Scott made a different suit for Civil War, but Hank still keeps the old one around) and Scott decided to wear the old one for stealing Hulk's Coke, then the commercial doesn't really fit anywhere on the timeline.

So we'll have to wait about a year until Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp come out, to see if the commercial is canon.

I'm not arguing for making Coke canon, I'm arguing against making Audi canon. They're both pointless and are trivial additions.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing for making Coke canon, I'm arguing against making Audi canon. They're both pointless and are trivial additions.

I'm not entirely convinced about making the commercials canon either, but there aren't really any contradictions between the Audi commercial and the rest of the MCU as far as I know, contrary to the Coke commercial.

I guess the question is, what's the intent? Are these just advertisements, or are they more like corporate sponsored One Shots?

Hey DIrishB, I have some questions and requests about your timeline (which I love, btw. Keep up the good work!).

* Do you have a list of contradictions that have been made in the MCU e.g. the Nebula arm thing with GOTG2 and the GOTG1 tie-in comic? I especially want to see what kind of contradictions are made with the tie-in comics.

* Can you maybe put that chronological order that is not broken up scene-by-scene on your first post alongside the scene-by-scene chronological order?

Thanks, bro.

Hey DIrishB, I have some questions and requests about your timeline (which I love, btw. Keep up the good work!).

* Do you have a list of contradictions that have been made in the MCU e.g. the Nebula arm thing with GOTG2 and the GOTG1 tie-in comic? I especially want to see what kind of contradictions are made with the tie-in comics.

I don't, but it's something I've been meaning to get around to (along with reasoning for placing things as I did or explaining such discrepancies). Just finding the time is difficult.

* Can you maybe put that chronological order that is not broken up scene-by-scene on your first post alongside the scene-by-scene chronological order?

Thanks, bro.

Yeah, I'll include that at end of the regular timeline next update I make.

Looks like the text messages from the Sony marketing might line up with the events of the Homecoming movie:

[video=youtube;vSW_g8IjTPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSW_g8IjTPg[/video]

The poster at 0:24 says the Decathlon is on September 14, which alongside this text message https://i.imgur.com/97wc75l.png having the date of Wednesday, lines up with September 23 being on a Friday as seen on the ticket prop: http://i.imgur.com/Cr9kBTH.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the MCU may continue to not follow real-time in future movies, at least when it comes to Spider-Man:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-next-spider-man-film-will-be-the-civil-war-of-marve-1796402155

It was purposefully done like this," Feige continued. "Like how the events of Captain America: Civil War impacted Peter as he was dropped off by Tony and expected to go back to continue his sophomore year, how the hell are the events of Infinity War and Untitled [Avengers] going to affect him as he, yes, goes back to his junior year?

I think Feige may have made a mistake in that quote; if Peter is in 10th grade in Homecoming (as mentioned in various interviews, we'll see if it's mentioned during the film itself), then he would have been in 9th grade, or freshman year in Civil War. But we'll see.

Here's a chart showing how the timeline would work out if there's a Spider-Man movie for each year of high school:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/6jhfma/timeline_showing_how_peter_parkers_mcu_film/

DDM-WW7W0AAeqOF.jpg

So I guess Homecoming is 2016/2017, Spider-Man 2 is 2017/2018 (with Infinity War and probably Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel taking place in between the previous two) and Spider-Man 3 is 2018/2019?

Maybe that would contradict the earlier Feige quote about Infinity War taking place four years after Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (if Spider-Man 2 indeed takes place after both Infinity War movies), but it's possible that they either fight Thanos early on in 2018 and Spider-Man 2 takes place later in the spring, or Feige was estimating/speaking in general terms.

Either way, some food for thought regarding the timeline.

Last edited:
Yup. Of course, given how fluid such plans are by necessity, that may change. We'll see.

And now it seems the Venom and Silver & Black spin offs DO occur in MCU, just without any direct connections (except for maybe Holland's Spider-Man). Sort of how the Netflix shows occur in same reality as the AoS series and films, but we'll never see any real crossover elements between them. Least that's how I'm taking it. We'll see how it plays out...

Inhumans will premiere on ABC on September 29:

[video=youtube;1sYF1SXcWqQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYF1SXcWqQ[/video]

Last edited:
Yup. Of course, given how fluid such plans are by necessity, that may change. We'll see.

And now it seems the Venom and Silver & Black spin offs DO occur in MCU, just without any direct connections (except for maybe Holland's Spider-Man). Sort of how the Netflix shows occur in same reality as the AoS series and films, but we'll never see any real crossover elements between them. Least that's how I'm taking it. We'll see how it plays out...

I got the complete opposite out of that, "take place in this [separate Sony] world" means it's not the MCU

I got the complete opposite out of that, "take place in this [separate Sony] world" means it's not the MCU

Except they said it occurs in "same reality", so:

First, there is Spider-Man happily in the place where he's supposed to be which is in the Marvel Universe," replied Pascal. "I think everything comes from that. This is the signpost, the tentpole, the signature and… the other movies that Sony's going to make, in their relationship to this [MCU] Spider-Man, take place in this [separate Sony] world. Although you're not going to see them in the Marvel Universe, it's in the same reality."

So, the way I'm reading that is its part of MCU, it's SAME REALITY, we just won't see MCU characters showing up in those other Spidey films (due to having to pay Marvel for licensing/use), it'll just be its own corner of the MCU in same way the Netflix and AoS shows largely are.

Like I said, we'll see how it plays out.

And rumors are that Mac Gargan (played by Michael Mando) will reprise the role in Silver & Black.

Also, apparently Homecoming's sequel will pick up minutes after the ending of Avengers 4...

And, it looks like the Marvel One Shots may make a return, but then again take it with a grain of salt, as it may be more wishful thinking on Holland's part. Hoping it isn't, though.

Last edited:
What I'm taking away from that is, as I've said before, it's the cartoons. The films effect the plots, but the cartoons are still in their own MCU. The TV shows actually take place in the MCU, these Sony films will take place in an entirely different MCU. So there are three realities.

1. The Official MCU - The Marvel TV shows and the Marvel Studios films
2. The Cartoon MCU - The Marvel Studios films and the Marvel TV animated series
3. The Sony MCU - The Marvel Studios Spider-Man films and the Sony Spider-Man films

Is it the same reality? Yep, Spider-Man: Homecoming happens in the Venom and Black & Silver canon. Is it the MCU? No, Venom and Black & Silver don't take place in the Official MCU canon.

I don't blame either of you for having polar opposite views on this, because now they're literally saying that it is AND it isn't in the same universe. :p

I think we're well past the point where anyone wants to see an ancillary film universe of secondary Spider-Man characters with no Spider-Man, but if that's what they're doing I wish they'd own up to it.

Arguably the perfect solution would be to make this the animated Miles Morales universe, since an alternate universe angle is already baked into his backstory. But as it seems he may also appear in the MCU, at least characters from the Sony Rogue Universe (if that's what it is) can appear in both film series.

Even if the two series share actors, that still might not settle the issue--there's precedence with the Spider-Man cartoon and the Guardians attraction. :p

I was kinda digging the idea that this would take place in the universe-formerly-known-as-616, is that still on the table?

TC

Last edited:
So according to people who saw early screenings of Homecoming, (link to the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...erman_homecoming_early_screenings_discussion/),
after the opening scene with Toomes' backstory taking place immediately after The Avengers, the movie flashes forward with a title card saying "Eight years later", before picking up with Peter vlogging the events of Civil War and the events of Homecoming taking place a few months later.

If we take it into account, this heavily contradicts a lot of the previously-established dates. IMO, we should still leave it in 2016 and disregard the title card as an error, due to overwhelming evidence with the rest of the MCU leaving it as a plot hole.

Last edited:
So according to people who saw early screenings of Homecoming, (link to the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...erman_homecoming_early_screenings_discussion/),
after the opening scene with Toomes' backstory taking place immediately after The Avengers, the movie flashes forward with a title card saying "Eight years later", before picking up with Peter vlogging the events of Civil War and the events of Homecoming taking place a few months later.

If we take it into account, this heavily contradicts a lot of the previously-established dates. IMO, we should still leave it in 2016 and disregard the title card as an error, due to overwhelming evidence with the rest of the MCU leaving it as a plot hole.

Possibly a misinterpretation from that audience member. We'll wait and see if it's true when the movie comes out.

I need access to this.

I hope they used your's and not the crappy one from the MCU wiki. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back