Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

No, because nothing else in MCU canon discounts or conflicts with that. It's the conflict of two pieces of canon material that creates the issue. There's a simple explanation that solves that problem. Thought that was obvious. Why not utilize said simple explanation to explain that discrepancy away instead of deleting that comic from canon?
But really, who cares that there are unused posters that are canon? If they had cut the Zune scene out of the movie, would we ask if Zunes were canon? The Simon William Easter Egg was kind of cool, but that's it. Except for keeping Watcher's first appearance list up to date, what does it matter?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

What you said

But really, who cares that there are unused posters that are canon? If they had cut the Zune scene out of the movie, would we ask if Zunes were canon? The Simon William Easter Egg was kind of cool, but that's it. Except for keeping Watcher's first appearance list up to date, what does it matter?

What I heard

Wonder Man is an awful character no one cares about and you should feel bad for liking him

Sent from my phone using an app

Last edited:
What you said

What I heard
No, man it would be cool to actually have him in the movies some time. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I was just legitimately asking what it really means for an unused prop to be canon. But I get that you want him to exist in the universe.

No, man it would be cool to actually have him in the movies some time. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I was just legitimately asking what it really means for an unused prop to be canon. But I get that you want him to exist in the universe.

I was just messing with you man, if anything it means James Gunn has plans for him.

What you said:
I was just messing with you man, if anything it means James Gunn has plans for him.
What I heard:

I'm actually still upset that you hate me and Wonderman, but I don't want to appear sensitive on the internet, so I'll pass it off as a joke and then retreat to my bedroom and play Breath of the Wild for 72 hours straight while I recover.

[emoji6]

What you said:

What I heard:

I'm actually still upset that you hate me and Wonderman, but I don't want to appear sensitive on the internet, so I'll pass it off as a joke and then retreat to my bedroom and play Breath of the Wild for 72 hours straight while I recover.

[emoji6]

Don't be ridiculous, it's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now

Hey guys, just found this thread while looking for a good chronological MCU viewing order to watch with my girlfriend (best girlfriend ever, right?) I must say, I'm super impressed by the work you have all done. Would it be too much of a favor to ask for a cohesive casual chronological viewing guide? Basically I'm just trying to figure out the best chronological order to watch all of the movies, shows, and shorts. I started trying to create one myself using your timeline, but as early on as TIH, I was stumped as to the placement. And don't even get me started on TWS or Doctor Strange. It doesn't help that neither she or I have seen the MCU in it's entirety yet. (I've seen most of it, she's seen a handful of the movies and that's it). Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated! Keep up the hard work, everybody!

Last edited:
I guess it would be Captain America The First Avenger, Agent Carter Season 1, Agent Carter one shot, Agent Carter Season 2, Iron Man 1 and 2, Incredible Hulk, The Consultant short, A Funny Thing Happened short, Thor, The Avengers, Item 47 Short, Iron Man 3, All Hail the King Short, AoS Season 1 ep 1-7, Thor 2, AoS ep 8-16, The Winter Soldier, AoS ep 17-22, Guardians of the Galaxy, Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones, AoS Season 2 ep 1-19, Age of Ultron, AoS Season 2 ep 19-22, Ant-Man Youtube shorts, Daredevil Season 2 ep 1-6, Ant-Man, AoS Season 3 ep 1-8, Daredevil Season 2 ep 7-13, Luke Cage, AoS Season 3 ep 9-22, Avengers Youtube shorts, Civil War, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist Youtube short, Iron Fist, Slingshot, AoS Season 4.

That should be the simple way to follow, with the shorts. I may be missing a couple, open to someone to correct, but that was a quick run through for a more casual timeline order. Hulk and Thor are harder to place but not much of an issue

Last edited:
Actually one last question, where would I put GOTG2 into the casual viewing order? Would it be immediately after the first one?

Actually one last question, where would I put GOTG2 into the casual viewing order? Would it be immediately after the first one?

Yep, it takes place a few months after Vol 1. Also, if you are interested, send me your e-mail and I'll link you to my viewing order based on this site's info.

That's OK, as I said I did a quick run through, tried not to break it into to many parts for you, but significantly more accurate than the rest of us that saw it as it came out! Yeah place Guardians Vol 2 right after the first, it's a good fit.

Hey guys, just found this thread while looking for a good chronological MCU viewing order to watch with my girlfriend (best girlfriend ever, right?) I must say, I'm super impressed by the work you have all done. Would it be too much of a favor to ask for a cohesive casual chronological viewing guide? Basically I'm just trying to figure out the best chronological order to watch all of the movies, shows, and shorts. I started trying to create one myself using your timeline, but as early on as TIH, I was stumped as to the placement. And don't even get me started on TWS or Doctor Strange. It doesn't help that neither she or I have seen the MCU in it's entirety yet. (I've seen most of it, she's seen a handful of the movies and that's it). Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated! Keep up the hard work, everybody!

Someone else already has this worked out
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yeGRFBBm2HUVpR4ztg-ChrdItw6Q78WiSUGOH6IXxBs/edit#gid=0

I actually had one on my computer I never got around to posting (this includes everything, even the canon comics and film adaptation comics):

Captain America - The First Avenger: First Vengeance #1-4
Captain America - The First Avenger
Captain America - The First Avenger #1-2 (Adaptation)
Agent Carter 1x01-1x08
"Agent Carter" (One Shot)
Agent Carter 2x01-2x10
Ant-Man - Prelude #1-2
Iron Man
Iron Man - I Am Iron Man #1-2 (Adaptation)
Iron Man 2 - Public Identity #1-3
Iron Man 2 - Agents of SHIELD #1
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 2 #1-2 (Adaptation)
"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer..." (One Shot)
Thor
Thor #1-2 (Adaptation)
The Incredible Hulk
Thor - Ragnarok: Prelude #1-2 (Adaptation)
"The Consultant" (One Shot)
The Avengers - Prelude: Black Widow Strikes #1-3
The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week #1-4
The Avengers
The Avengers #1-2 (Adaptation)
"Item 47" (One Shot)
Iron Man 3 - Prelude #1-2
Iron Man 3
Captain America - Civil War: Prelude #1-2 (Adaptation)
"All Hail the King" (One Shot)
Captain America - The Winter Soldier: Infinite #1
Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude #1-2
Thor - The Dark World: Prelude #1-2
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x01-1x07
Thor - The Dark World
Thor - Ragnarok: Prelude #3-4 (Adaptation)
Guardians of the Galaxy - Prequel Infinite #1
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x08-1x12
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Chase #1
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x13-1x16
Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Captain America - Civil War: Prelude #3-4 (Adaptation)
Avengers - Age of Ultron: Prelude - This Scepter'd Isle: Infinite #1
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x17-1x22
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x01-2x02
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Prelude #1-2 (Adaptation)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x03
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Infinite #1
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Daredevil 1x01-1x13
Jessica Jones #1
Jessica Jones 1x01-1x13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x04-2x19
Avengers - Age of Ultron
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x20-2x22
Doctor Strange - Prelude #1-2
WHiH Newsfront Promo - July 2, 2015 (Promo)
WHiH Newsfront Top Stories (Promo)
WHiH Exclusive - 2012 VistaCorp break-in security footage involving cyber-criminal Scott Lang (Promo)
WIRED Insider Interviews Darren Cross, CEO of Pym Technologies (Promo)
WHiH EXCLUSIVE - Scott Lang Interview (Promo)
Ant-Man - Scott Lang: Small Time: Infinite #1
Daredevil 2x01-2x06
Ant-Man
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x01-3x08
Daredevil 2x07-2x13
Luke Cage 1x01-1x13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x09-3x19
Avengers Impact - A WHiH Newsfront Special Report (Promo)
WHiH Newsfront - The Cost of Saving the World (Promo)
WHiH Newsfront - The Avengers and the White House (Promo)
WHiH Newsfront Exclusive - President Ellis Discusses the Avengers (Promo)
WHiH Breaking News - Attack in Lagos (Promo)
Captain America - Civil War: Infinite #1
Captain America - Civil War
Spider-Man - Homecoming: Prelude #1-2 (Adaptation)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x20-3x22
New York Bulletin - Joy and Ward Meachum Special Report (Promo)
Iron Fist 1x01-1x13
Spider-Man - Homecoming**
Doctor Strange - Prelude: The Zealot - Infinite #1
Doctor Strange
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 4x01-4x08
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Slingshot 1x01-1x06
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 4x09-4x22
The Defenders 1x01-1x08**
Inhumans 1x01-1x08**
The Punisher 1x01-1x13**
Thor - Ragnarok**
Black Panther**
Jessica Jones 2x01-2x13**
Avengers - Infinity War**
Daredevil 3x01-3x13**
Ant-Man and the Wasp**
Luke Cage 2x01-2x13**
Cloak and Dagger 1x01-1x??**
Runaways 1x01-1x??**
New Warriors 1x01-1x??**
Captain Marvel**
Avengers - ????**

Homecoming international trailer with a timeline placement indication (SPOILERS):

[video=youtube;xbQdPBiF3Co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQdPBiF3Co[/video]

At 1:22, Toomes says "Eight years without any trouble from those bozos up at Stark Tower...", so I guess that further supports Homecoming taking place in 2016, 8 years after Iron Man.

Last edited:
Homecoming international trailer with a timeline placement indication (SPOILERS):

[video=youtube;xbQdPBiF3Co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQdPBiF3Co[/video]

At 1:22, Toomes says "Eight years without any trouble from those bozos up at Stark Tower...", so I guess that further supports Homecoming taking place in 2016, 8 years after Iron Man.

Very cool.

Looks like I'll have to thread Spider-Man: Homecoming through
Civil War a bit, and possibly ending of Avengers
(or not if they pick up after the battle).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back