Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Can anyone who's seen Thor 3 tell us how the film lines up with GOTG Vol 2 and Doctor Strange?

Having not seen Ragnarok yet I can't say for sure, but from what my buddy in UK (who has seen it) tells me, one of the post credit scenes involves
Thor, Loki, and the other surviving Asgardians' spaces ship coming across a much larger ship believed to be Thanos'. Its presumed after that scene there is a battle and the Asgardian space ship is destroyed by Thanos', stranding Thor in space, which sets up the Guardians running into Thor--literally--as shown in the Infinity War trailer.

OK so we know the film takes place after the entirety of Doctor Strange. Now I just wonder if it takes place before or after the Teen Groot GOTG Vol 2 post-credits scene.

Personally, I think the Teenage Groot post-credit scene takes place before the entirety of Ragnarok because I think
the post-credits scene of Ragnarok leads directly into Infinity War and it sets up the events of Thor meeting the Guardians.

Last edited:
Reason I'm asking is because in my simplified viewing order, I need to know whether to place GOTG Vol 2 before or after Ragnarok since I place a film where it ends.

OK so we know the film takes place after the entirety of Doctor Strange. Now I just wonder if it takes place before or after the Teen Groot GOTG Vol 2 post-credits scene.

Personally, I think the Teenage Groot post-credit scene takes place before the entirety of Ragnarok because I think
the post-credits scene of Ragnarok leads directly into Infinity War and it sets up the events of Thor meeting the Guardians.

According to James Gunn, the Teen Groot scene occurs around the same time as Infinity War (sometime just before I imagine), around four years after events of GotG Vol 2 in 2014 (so sometime in 2018 ).

In one of the five post-credits scenes for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, fans were treated to a first look at a teenage version of Groot, suggesting some time had elapsed since the events of the film. Now director James Gunn has confirmed that not only was there a somewhat-significant time jump, but that the scene actually takes place in close proximity to 2018's Avengers: Infinity War.

While interviewing the filmmaker, CinemaBlend noted the Groot seen in the Infinity War footage screened at the D23 Expo and Comic-Con International bore a striking resemblance to the adolescent version from the Guardians 2 post-credits scene. "He's exactly the same," Gunn replied. "That's exactly the Groot we designed for Infinity War."

The website sought clarification about whether he meant the post-credits scene takes place four years after his film's 2014 setting. Gunn replied, "Well, basically those are at the same time."

Reason I'm asking is because in my simplified viewing order, I need to know whether to place GOTG Vol 2 before or after Ragnarok since I place a film where it ends.

I would leave Guardians and 1 and 2 together.

I agree with mario, wouldn't make much sense to place the entirety of GotG Vol 2 later on based on only that single post credit scene, as every other aspect of the film happens in 2014.

Last edited:
Just got caught up on Inhumans, there was a vague reference to the Sokovia Accords. Still looking good as post AOS season 4.

According to James Gunn, the Teen Groot scene occurs around the same time as Infinity War (sometime just before I imagine), around four years after events of GotG Vol 2 in 2014 (so sometime in 2018).

I agree with mario, wouldn't make much sense to place the entirety of GotG Vol 2 later on based on only that single post credit scene, as every other aspect of the film happens in 2014.

I understand the logic behind that thought, but I try to be objective and consistent with my rule about placing a film with the most current event it ends on.

Question: Is the Doctor Strange post-credit's scene involving Thor ripped from Ragnarok, or is it different?

Last edited:
I understand the logic behind that thought, but I try to be objective and consistent with my rule about placing a film with the most current event it ends on.

Question: Is the Doctor Strange post-credit's scene involving Thor ripped from Ragnarok, or is it different?

I get that, but it doesn't seem objective to place the entire film in 2018 when 99% of it takes place in 2014. To each their own, just doesn't make sense to me.

As for Thor - Ragnarok's Doc Strange scenes, I haven't seen film yet but I'm 99% sure the Thor/Strange meet up in that DS post credit scene is covered in Ragnarok. That too results on out of sequence placement following your approach. Again, to each their own, but chronologically speaking your approach ends up putting a lot of stuff out of order.

Yup. One thing that's different from the trailers, is they show the woman (no spoilers) smashing the hammer in a city. In the actual movie, it happens in a field.

Disney in talks to possibly purchase portions of Fox holdings, including X-Men and Fantastic Four properties...

Nothing finalized yet, and may not happen, but apparently Fox is focused on downsizing their entertainment divisions (film and telelvision) to focus more on news and sports, so it's possible Marvel may eventually have all their holdings back home (in one way or another, like with the Spider-Man deal with Sony or character sharing deal like with Hulk/Universal and Fox/Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver).

Last edited:
Disney in talks to possibly purchase portions of Fox holdings, including X-Men and Fantastic Four properties...

Nothing finalized yet, and may not happen, but apparently Fox is focused on downsizing their entertainment divisions (film and telelvision) to focus more on news and sports, so it's possible Marvel may eventually have all their holdings back home (in one way or another, like with the Spider-Man deal with Sony or character sharing deal like with Hulk/Universal and Fox/Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver).

628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg

The talks have stalled. People are thinking there is worry of anti-trust laws messing things up. But this definitely has been the first glimmer of hope we've ever seen in this. It may mean that even if the deal doesn't go through, someone else might buy Fox's IP and they will be willing to make a deal with Disney. Or any number of other possibilities.

I agree.

Although, now it's looking like Infinity War will at least start in 2017. The post credit scene (which leads into IW, as per the leaked trailer) couldn't be long after the end of the movie. At least that's the vibe I got, but we could add some padding in there if it turns out IW need to be 2018.

I agree.

Although, now it's looking like Infinity War will at least start in 2017. The post credit scene (which leads into IW, as per the leaked trailer) couldn't be long after the end of the movie. At least that's the vibe I got, but we could add some padding in there if it turns out IW need to be 2018.

That's true, though that may create some continuity problems, as Ragnarok firmly placed itself 2 years after Age of Ultron. That is, if Infinity War makes any references to specific spans of time since previous films. We'll just have to wait and see.

That's true, though that may create some continuity problems, as Ragnarok firmly placed itself 2 years after Age of Ultron. That is, if Infinity War makes any references to specific spans of time since previous films. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yup, I didn't catch any reference to dates while the Odinson boys were on Earth but when Thor says "2 years", he probably means 2 and change since AoU was April/May and I think Ragnarok works best as late 2017. So as to be as far from Doctor Strange as possible to allow him to master his abilities and to be as close to 2018 as possible for IW's sake.

I just now realized though... doesn't time pass really fast in Sakaar? Loki was there for weeks before Thor got there, and their departure of the bifrost was mere seconds. So Banner has probably been Hulk for way longer than 2 years.

Just a warning that this may contain spoilers. I don't know how to do that spoiler text deal with my phone. My guess is the mid credit scene doesn't happen immediately before Infinity War. They might want us to think it does, but it doesn't add up. Sure, Thor lands on the Guardians ship, but where is everyone else? And no way did they all die. No way. We already know 100% that Hulk and Loki are in Infinity War. And I'm betting the rock dude and Hemdall are as well. My guess is that they escape that encounter with Thanos, if that even is Thanos, and all of the Asgardians make it safely to Norway.

At some point Thor is back in space, which causes him to land on the Guardians ship pressed on the windshield, which of course looks conveniently like when he was in the Valkyrie's ship.

Last edited:
^
I agree the Asgardians must survive. Thanos just killing them all would negate Ragnarok's ending.

The hosts of the Empire podcast posited the theory that Thor and Loki would make a deal with Thanos: their lives and the Tesseract (which Loki totally stole from the vault in Ragnarok and was seen handing to Thanos in the IW footage) for the lives of the other Asgardians. That would be Loki's final redemption into a heroic character (sacrificing himself for his people) and a potential way to kill him off. Thor would then somehow survive and end up floating in space. Makes sense to me on a number of levels.

Last edited:
I still want to know when the GOTG Vol. 2 post-credits scene takes place in relation to Ragnarok's and the beginning of IW.

Latest posts

Back