Marvel NOW "relaunch"

I'm pretty sure Warren Ellis isn't the only writer to have done that/do that.

Of course he isn't. I didn't even come close to suggesting he was.

"Cool idea" being Wood's pitch for the series, the details of which we don't know yet because the book isn't out yet.

My point is that a team of a single gender isn't much of a pitch.

Who says characters are being excluded based on gender?

Are you serious? It's an all female team. That means all of the members are females. As in, males are excluded (I don't mean that the team assembled in the story is actively excluding males - I mean the writer is making a concerted effort to exclude them. Obviously he has to be for it to be a team that is one single gender).

We've seen plenty of all-male teams before.

...so what?

Right. Because clearly the fact that the team is all-women means they're all stereotypes.

You make it a stereotype when you suggest that they have to prove themselves by forming an all female team.

:roll: We could always talk about how Ellis' "strong women" have a tendency to sleep with Warren Ellis' author insertion characters....

Right, because having sex is so degrading to a character and a gender.

And no one is saying that was Wood's pitch.

Are you serious? It's an all female team. That means all of the members are females. As in, males are excluded (I don't mean that the team assembled in the story is actively excluding males - I mean the writer is making a concerted effort to exclude them. Obviously he has to be for it to be a team that is one single gender).
Yes, there's no men on the team. Not the book. There will be men in the book. What's the problem with that? Wood is excluding men from the team because he obviously has a story that he wants with just these characters.

You make it a stereotype when you suggest that they have to prove themselves by forming an all female team.
No one is proving anything. That's not why anyone is forming this all female team.

Last edited:
And no one is saying that was Wood's pitch.

Well of course it was his pitch.

I'm not suggesting its wrong, just that it's not much of a pitch.

Again, my issue isn't that a book featuring a team of all female characters exists or was pitched. That's fantastic and I'm glad of it. My problem is with marketing the book as if that's all that it has going on with it. Saying that we don't know anything else about it is proving my point that this book (maybe just the marketing of it; I'm not saying the book will be bad) is an empty gimmick.

Saying that we don't know anything else about it is proving my point that this book (maybe just the marketing of it; I'm not saying the book will be bad) is an empty gimmick.
We don't know much about the book because it was just solicited. Two weeks ago. And news sites are only starting to interview Wood about the book.

It's ridiculous to suggest that "that's the pitch", given Wood's history as a writer. We have a sketch of the plot, we know that it's an X-Men book, and we know that it features a female cast. That doesn't mean that's all there is to the book. You're mistaking the marketing for the storytelling. Of course Marvel is putting it forward as "OMG! AN ALL FEMALE CAST!" because that's the most sensational thing about it. But that's not to say it's the only thing about the book.

E said:

Or it means there's a reason, in the circumstances of the story, that the maiin characters are women. To assume it's a cheap ploy is to assume that women never have a reason to gather together without inviting men into the circle.

E said:
...so what?

So, do we assume that the writer is trying to prove something by not having women on the team? Is it a gimmick or an attempt to proselytize about the male condition?

E said:

No one's proving anything. It's a team that happens to be all females. That's all it is. I don't get why you have trouble understanding this concept.

E said:
Right, because having sex is so degrading to a character and a gender.

Having sex with Warren Ellis is degrading to anyone.

Seriously, E, are you trolling us?

Last edited:
Nova #1 is by two of my least favorite comic creators in Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness. But the issue was pretty decent.

Is this series going to reintroduce the Nova Corps? Or is it just going to introduce a new Nova? Is something happening with Richard Rider?

Don't get me started.

Richard Rider, was last seen stuck in the life universe with Thanos and Star Lord.

This new Nova's father somehow wasn't on the homeworld when it got destroyed during the Annihilation War, and somehow kept his powers though Richard Rider had all the Nova power for quite a bit there.

And Somehow hung out with Rocket Raccoon and Gamora, though they didn't hang out before Guardians of the Galaxy launched.

Stupid.

You should be reading the Valiant titles. Seriously, besides Saga and maybe a few other titles, Harbinger is one of the best titles out right now regardless of publisher, and Archer & Armstrong is just reliably fun, and Bloodshot is simply awesome with a healthy dose of testosterone. Why waste money on crap Marvel is pooing out from creative teams whose last shreds of creativity or originality dried up years ago? Seriously, at least DL them and check them out. I can't recommend the new Valiant books enough (well, XO Manowar is only ok, and I'm unimpressed by Shadowman, but the other 3 are fantastic).

Sorry, off topic, but had to pull a Clockwork Orange and try to force them into your eyes.

Marvel has a handful of decent titles, and DC also, but the majority of their output is just lame.

Last edited:
Don't get me started.

Richard Rider, was last seen stuck in the life universe with Thanos and Star Lord.

This new Nova's father somehow wasn't on the homeworld when it got destroyed during the Annihilation War, and somehow kept his powers though Richard Rider had all the Nova power for quite a bit there.

And Somehow hung out with Rocket Raccoon and Gamora, though they didn't hang out before Guardians of the Galaxy launched.

Stupid.

Oh.

I didn't read the Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy prequel issue thing that just came out - do we know if the upcoming Guardians book is going to have Richard Rider at all? I hadn't heard anything about him being replaced.

Oh.

I didn't read the Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy prequel issue thing that just came out - do we know if the upcoming Guardians book is going to have Richard Rider at all? I hadn't heard anything about him being replaced.
I've seen a few things about him not showing up to "respect what had happened". I guess that didn't apply to star lord.

I do want to say that I didn't find the new nova to be bad at all, it just doesn't fit in with what came before either. If you can put that aside you'll probably enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back