Marvel: Your Universe Thread

Yeap. Here's what the collection read on Amazon before it was taken down:

COLLECTING: Cataclysm: The Ulimates' Last Stand 1-5, Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-3, Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men 1-3, Cataclysm: Ultimates 1-3, Hunger 1-4, Cataclysm 0.1, Ultimate Prologue

We should be getting some sort of answers within the next few weeks. If not before the Marvel solicitations, then when they come out.

Yeap. Here's what the collection read on Amazon before it was taken down: COLLECTING: Cataclysm: The Ulimates’ Last Stand 1-5, Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-3, Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men 1-3, Cataclysm: Ultimates 1-3, Hunger 1-4, Cataclysm 0.1, Ultimate Prologue We should be getting some sort of answers within the next few weeks. If not before the Marvel solicitations, then when they come out.

That's interesting. Either it was a misprint (which may explain why it was taken down), or it may be an exclusive tale made for the trade, perhaps as a lead in to a relaunch. It may just not have been solicited yet, too. We'll see.

It's very cool. I wish they were doing it for more books and for books I don't already have, but it's a great idea to reel in new readers.

Publishers are waaaay to stingy with digital comics. They should be giving those things away left and right.

This guy (or girl) really doesn't like Rick Remender.

Assimilation. Misogyny. Erasure. Dismissal of PTSD. Negation of identity. Fridging of women. Segregation. Child and spousal abuse. Hyper-sexualized teenagers. An abuse victim as the butt of a joke. Prejudice.

I could go on.

What do all these things have in common? If you said they're all terrible things, and they shouldn't be used as plot devices in writing, you'd be right. But more than that, these things are all present (and then some) in the Marvel comics currently being written by Rick Remender.

"But wait!" I hear you cry. "I haven't heard anyone talking about this guy! These all seem like horrible things; shouldn't people be talking about how bad they are?"

You're right, people should. But they aren't. And when they do, they get ignored.

So what's Rick Remender been writing? Some out-of-the-way series, right? If nobody's talking about it, the comics he's writing can't be very important, can they?

Rick Remender is the writer of both Captain America and Uncanny Avengers.

They're important.

And he needs to stop.

I already feel bad giving him/her attention.

First of all, the article is written by a girl/woman named Eve (it says so at the bottom).

So I haven't read Remender's Captain America, but I really don't get what the problems are with Uncanny Avengers. I tried to find the reference Janet makes to being the size of an ant, but I couldn't find it. (I don't think it was in issue 11 like she said). It seems like, based on the description that the exchange went something like,

Janet: This ship makes Apocalypse's look like the size of an… ant.
Havok: Still can't say 'ant' huh?

Pym hit Janet on one occasion as far as I understand. It's not excusable. It doesn't make it right. It is a big deal. But that doesn't define their entire relationship. The two of them have gotten together and broken up several times since then, they've obviously moved past it. Why then, is any reference to their relationship automatically a reference to the abuse?

A man should never hit a woman (yeah yeah, there might be hypothetical extreme situations where someone's life is in danger, what ever - that's not helpful). But there has to be room to forgive and move on. Havok wasn't making fun of the fact that Hank hit her, he was teasing her b/c ant-man and the wasp will always be linked in everyone's minds, and obviously it's true of Janet as well.

I actually watched an interview with Remender about the other thing. He got a lot of backlash for Havok's statement about wanting to be thought of as a human rather than a mutant. I actually thought it was about time someone said what Havok did. There is really no difference between humans with super powers and mutants. It's a unhelpful distinction that just causes division. He didn't tell mutants to stop using their powers and pretend to be like everyone else (actually, I wonder if the person who wrote this article had the same problems with House of M and "no more mutants"). He asked to be thought of as a human. He wants to emphasize what unites mankind rather than what separates them. He's promoting co-existence, not assimilation. It isn't fair to twist his words and assume he's saying everyone needs to shed what makes them them and act like or adopt the culture of white straight protestant men. He's saying that whether you're white, hispanic, asian, black, female, male, protestant, atheist, buddhist, heterosexual, homosexual, or whatever else, you're a human. We're going to have different cultures and we're going to disagree on morals and ethics, but we can still treat each other right and respect each other even though we are different. We're not THAT different, even if it might feel like it.

Last edited:
I actually watched an interview with Remender about the other thing. He got a lot of backlash for Havok's statement about wanting to be thought of as a human rather than a mutant. I actually thought it was about time someone said what Havok did. There is really no difference between humans with super powers and mutants. It's a unhelpful distinction that just causes division. He didn't tell mutants to stop using their powers and pretend to be like everyone else (actually, I wonder if the person who wrote this article had the same problems with House of M and "no more mutants"). He asked to be thought of as a human. He wants to emphasize what unites mankind rather than what separates them. He's promoting co-existence, not assimilation. It isn't fair to twist his words and assume he's saying everyone needs to shed what makes them them and act like or adopt the culture of white straight protestant men. He's saying that whether you're white, hispanic, asian, black, female, male, protestant, atheist, buddhist, heterosexual, homosexual, or whatever else, you're a human. We're going to have different cultures and we're going to disagree on morals and ethics, but we can still treat each other right and respect each other even though we are different. We're not THAT different, even if it might feel like it.

This.

I thought it was ridiculous for people to get worked up over that.

Anyone who did is obviously a raging racist and probably a Nazi.

Deadpool gets married in April.

DeadpoolWeddingFinal.jpg

Who are the normal looking guys in the bottom left corner?

Who are the normal looking guys in the bottom left corner?

Marvel editors. The one with the hat is Tom Brevoort. The funny mustache one is Jordan D. White. The girl I'm guessing is Jeannine Shaeffer. I'm sure Nick Lowe is in there somewhere. Not sure on the rest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back