Marvel: Your Universe Thread

If we're talking about Marvel's biggest sellers through the years, it's clearly not those three guys. From nearly the start, Spider-Man has been the face of the company, and for decades, Wolverine and the X-Men were their biggest faces. I don't think it's any coincidence that those are the characters who consistently had staying power on TV for decades, and who launched the superhero movie boom.

But in terms of the Avengers as a franchise, I don't think there's any doubt that Thor/Iron Man/Cap are the three guys who represent the team, and they always have been. Considering Loki was the villain of the first story, it's a bit ludicrous to say Thor's not part of that trifecta. They're the three Avengers who are consistently on the team and who consistently have their own ongoing books. Regardless of sales on their ongoing books (and let's be honest, sales haven't been that bad, given these guys have been almost constantly in publication for decades), that's the mythology that Marvel has pushed for, and it strikes me as a relatively smart move.

Not only do they match up to a similar dynamic that DC has with their triumvirate (street level, futurist, mythic hero), but their personalities contrast pretty exceptionally.

I'm talking about the characters that Marvel uses in promotions, ads, that kind of thing. It might not be the biggest selling or even most popular characters (or else Wolverine would probably be up there as well). But that's who Marvel most want to represent their company visually, and I'm sure it's because of the movies and who holds the rights.

Avengers were being pushed as such long before the movies, though.

Not in the same way Spider-Man was. Before the movie boom, if you asked an average person, non-comic fan to name a few super heroes, they would probably say Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. They might throw in Wolverine/the X-Men, Wonder Woman, and maybe the Hulk too. But most people didn't know who Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor were.

And really, the reason people knew the ones I mentioned was because of the movies and tv shows from the 60s-90s.

Not in the same way Spider-Man was. Before the movie boom, if you asked an average person, non-comic fan to name a few super heroes, they would probably say Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. They might throw in Wolverine/the X-Men, Wonder Woman, and maybe the Hulk too. But most people didn't know who Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor were.

And really, the reason people knew the ones I mentioned was because of the movies and tv shows from the 60s-90s.

Yep. I can remember going back to the mid-80s all the way through the mid to late 90s Spider-Man appeared on basically every single book they published for the Direct Market, in place of the UPC symbols. He was in all of the subscription ads in the books. You NEVER saw Thor or Hulk, and I think only very rarely did Captain America appear (I think only in tandem with his own anniversary).

Of course, there's no doubting that.

But when it comes to big three, Marvel or DC, it's more of importance to their respective universes and stories than popularity or book sales. Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man were always more importance to the comics than Spider-Man was. Spider-Man didn't really have that level of it until New Avengers and even then it's still not as much as the others.

10561813_10152553420546469_5257924517828728576_n.jpg

Of course, there's no doubting that.

But when it comes to big three, Marvel or DC, it's more of importance to their respective universes and stories than popularity or book sales. Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man were always more importance to the comics than Spider-Man was. Spider-Man didn't really have that level of it until New Avengers and even then it's still not as much as the others.

I don't think that's true about Spider-Man at all, but that's not what we're talking about. We're not talking about anything subjective like "who is more important" or anything like that - I'm saying that before the Avengers movie, Marvel didn't use the Avengers in promotional/marketing/advertising at all. It was ALWAYS Spider-Man. Now it is almost exclusively Avengers and Spider-Man is used very little (comparatively).

I don't think that's true about Spider-Man at all, but that's not what we're talking about. We're not talking about anything subjective like "who is more important" or anything like that - I'm saying that before the Avengers movie, Marvel didn't use the Avengers in promotional/marketing/advertising at all. It was ALWAYS Spider-Man. Now it is almost exclusively Avengers and Spider-Man is used very little (comparatively).
Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. I even agree with that statement as my post starts out with me agreeing, but the whole topic of this started out and is about the subjectiveness of Marvel's "Big Three," to which is what and why I'm saying that it's about "who is more important" than who was marketed, etc. more.

Hopefully it'll be more She-Hulk quality work than Inhuman quality. Otherwise this sucks.

I read Inhuman #3 a while ago and it felt like it was dumbed down. Like he had to dumb down the script to go with the dumb art.

Joe Mad is the most overrated artist this side of Rob Liefeld. I remember when he was put on Ultimates 3 and people were actually excited for it. The art was terrible, saying nothing of the script.

I read Inhuman #3 a while ago and it felt like it was dumbed down. Like he had to dumb down the script to go with the dumb art.

Joe Mad is the most overrated artist this side of Rob Liefeld. I remember when he was put on Ultimates 3 and people were actually excited for it. The art was terrible, saying nothing of the script.

I love Joe Mad's art. I'm really big into the over cartoon art like Joe Mad, Ed McGuinness, and Humberto Ramos. Joe Mad is what saved comics for me actually. As I've said before, I REALLY hated The Ultimates 2 and by the end of it I was ready to quit comics and then I saw the ad for the third. Had no idea who Jeph Loeb was so that had no effect on me but the art was so great that I had to try it and the idea of Wolverine and Spider-Man showing up was too good to pass. Bought the first issue and learned how much fun comics could really be even when all the characters were *******s still.

Latest posts

Back