Marvel's Season One OGNs.

E said:
I just finished reading the Fantastic Four book and it was pretty decent. I didn't care for the art but the story was ok. It started off a little bland but it picked up.

One thing I did like is how they addressed the problem of Reed not being able to make Ben human again.

My copy is arriving tomorrow!! Or rather, today, since it's Wednesday now.

I've read Daredevil, Fantastic Four, & X-Men so far. I think that's all of them that are out.

I don't really know what I was expecting with any of them, but I haven't really cared for them. The art is not very good. The stories are simplistic and bland. They are basically just watering down the origin stories with a few new things thrown in.

For what (I think) they are aiming to do they are failures. If you want to bring in new readers, show them what comics can be when you let people tell their stories with a little imagination, not with cookie-cutter, dumbed down (that's saying something for Marvel) stories. And make the price more accessible.

Yeah...what is the point of these books? They fail on every level.

I liked Fantastic Four's story, X-Men's art and Daredevil's... well, I gave up halfway through Daredevil so there wasn't really anything I liked.

I don't think I'll read anymore of these unless they are drawn by an artist I really like.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Spider-Man: Season One. I'm glad I didn't buy these sight unseen.

They changed Spider-Man...instead of not stopping the thief because he was angry and getting back at the wrestling promoter, he just kind of said, "Err.." like he wasn't sure if he should do something, and yelled at the security guard that he's not a rent-a-cop. It kind of takes away from the whole responsibility angle. A lot, actually.

I get what these are aiming to do and they have their moments, but none of them have been particularly good. I'm not even sure I want to bother finishing with Spider-Man.

Having never read Daredevil, I picked up Daredevil Season One - So I guess I was the target audience. It was ok. But I certainly got the feeling that it was a little more "generic" than it should be. It's like they didn't want to even try and push any boundaries with the story and art. It certainly didn't make me want to read any more of his comics or make me feel like I have a good grasp on his character.

It's like they didn't want to even try and push any boundaries with the story and art. It certainly didn't make me want to read any more of his comics or make me feel like I have a good grasp on his character.

Yes, that's it exactly.

Maybe the problem is that they are going for more of an all-ages thing. I can't even remember in the 3-4 I've read if there was anything not kid-friendly in them but I don't think so. They would be doing themselves a better service by taking classic stories and selling them as budget-priced graphic novels...kind of like Extremis or Brand New Day. Or repackage the Marvel Adventures stories if they need to be all ages.

Yes, that's it exactly. Maybe the problem is that they are going for more of an all-ages thing.

Totally. I kept thinking my 5 year-old would love it... but then again he can't read yet ;) I really don't understand what market they were going for

From Ant-Man:

"...am I just suffering from a massive mental collapse?

Maybe this is only a nightmare.

The result of paranoia gone wild.

I'd rather be crazy --

-- than ant-size."

Dead serious.

I just remembered the other day about Mythos. Now those we're truly "Season One" books. Marvel should've reprinted them and made new ones for Ant-Man and Dr. Strange.

I finished Ant-Man and it was terrible. Tom DeFalco really is the worst thing to ever happen to comics. He's much worse than Jeph Loeb could ever dream of being.

Are you sure? I mean, even vague memories of Ultimates 3 still make me nauseous and homicidal all at once.

It's close. I typed that with the Ant-Man Season One story fresh on the brain. Loeb has done his share of crap but EVERYTHING DeFalco touches is garbage.

Fair enough. If it's not too painful, care to share some of the more face-palming moments, for laughs.

I blocked the whole book out of my memory.

I just finished Hulk: Season One. I almost didn't bother with it but it's written by Fred Van Lente, who is not too bad, so I gave it a shot.

It was probably the best of the Season One books I've read but that's not saying much. It seemed needlessly complicated. I wrote a while back about how Hulk needs to be relaunched and simplified and thought this might go in that direction, but it really didn't.

And there's more! NYCC | Marvel expands Season One with Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine

marvel-season-one.jpg

I'm pretty accepting that these just weren't written with me as the target audience, so I haven't bothered with the Dr. Strange on and won't with any of the future ones.

Latest posts

Back