Mary Jane or Kitty: Who do you like Peter with more?

Mary Jane or Kitty

• Mary Jane

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Kitty

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • Other/None (You're being difficult)

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
All right...

The reason: Taking into consideration how awesome Mary Jane was in "Dumped" and #87, I've been thinking about the responses to the latest issue (#88); where people say "more Kitty is always good". Personally, I think Kitty plays off as such a generic girlfriend it's hard to like the relationship. Mary Jane shows a lot more depth to the character. I want to see what you guys think.

Please consider the various reasons why you'd vote. Whose better for Peter? Who loves Peter more? What reasons do the girls have to like Peter? Why would Peter like these girls.

Ok, discuss...

Kitty.

Mary Jane isn't emotionally ready for what Peter is going through, and they need a good long LONG break before they could ever try to hook up again. What Peter needs is somebody who can understand that some things are infinitely more important than a Teenage Relationship, and someone who he can confide in about the goings on of SHIELD and the Ultimates, and all of that stuff.

And MwoF, you hit the nail on the head. Mary Jane is developed as a character, but that's been more of a limitation than anything else. As a spunky brainy girl she's more of a hindrance to Peter than a help, Kitty has infinite possibilities in front of her.

Develop MJ separately from Peter to have her grow into a real Woman... Maybe even have her move to a different school... and then bring her back in a year or so as a mature person ready to understand what Peter has to go through.

Green Goblin.

What do you mean that's not an option?

Dr.Strangefate said:
Kitty.

Mary Jane isn't emotionally ready for what Peter is going through, and they need a good long LONG break before they could ever try to hook up again. What Peter needs is somebody who can understand that some things are infinitely more important than a Teenage Relationship, and someone who he can confide in about the goings on of SHIELD and the Ultimates, and all of that stuff.

And MwoF, you hit the nail on the head. Mary Jane is developed as a character, but that's been more of a limitation than anything else. As a spunky brainy girl she's more of a hindrance to Peter than a help, Kitty has infinite possibilities in front of her.

Develop MJ separately from Peter to have her grow into a real Woman... Maybe even have her move to a different school... and then bring her back in a year or so as a mature person ready to understand what Peter has to go through.

I completely agree. First, Kitty hasn't even been showed enough as Pete's girlfriend for there to be a proper development of character. When she turns into Spider-Girl, that's when we'll see the development.

Kitty needs to stay with Peter for a long time. Mary Jane is a good character, but we need a rest from the "You almost killed me!" type of teenage drama that has permeated the series since MJ found out about Peter.

The truth is, people, everyone is sick and tired of Mary Jane. So Bendis solved this problem the simple way. Pete gets exciting new girlfriend. So believe it or not, you are sick or MJ, or you are absolutely in love with her.

Latari'sFighter brings up a good point. This isn't "do you like Kitty more or Mary Jane more?" as much as it is "Do you like MJ or hate her?" I don't know how anyone could vote for who they like Peter with more, since we have hardly seen he and Kitty together. We saw more of them hooking up initially than we have seen them together. All they've shown is them talking on the phone a couple times.

I didn't even like Mary Jane until she got dumped. It's like Bendis took that single tragedy (if you call getting dumped a tragedy) and used it to mature the character and make her more interesting. I like both girls equally and I hope you guys are voting on which character appeals to you more. That's not the point.

Won't lie. I think Mary Jane is a better fit. As much as I enjoyed Peter and her breaking up, I don't like the choice to have Kitty here. My opinion really doesn't matter, though. It's not too big a deal who Peter dates, though.

I'm beginning to wonder if people are realizing that there is a difference between stating their preference between Mary Jane/Peter and Kitty/Peter as a couple and their preference for Mary Jane and Kitty as characters.

On the other hand, I am also surprised this hasn't devolved into a debate between the sex appeal of fiery mall-hopping redheads and shy Jewish girls.

ourchair said:
I'm beginning to wonder if people are realizing that there is a difference between stating their preference between Mary Jane/Peter and Kitty/Peter as a couple and their preference for Mary Jane and Kitty as characters.

On the other hand, I am also surprised this hasn't devolved into a debate between the sex appeal of fiery mall-hopping redheads and shy Jewish girls.

I like both the characters equally. Shadowcat's pretty cool in UXM when not playing the other half of Bobby/Kitty. And I like how well Bendis made Peter and her come together like that. I do look forward to more Kitty but I can't help but let Mary Jane really grow on me since Peter let her go. So as much as I look forward to Kitty/Peter, I also look forward to more interaction with Mary Jane and the closure of their relationship, whether it's boyfriend/girlfriend or "just friends".

Kitty.

I just think it is a more interesting direction to take Peter in and its a break away from what everyone is used to.

OK......VVD's 2 yen:

Personally, while I enjoy seeing Peter finally have some happiness with Kitty...I'd rather have him with MJ.

It's great to see Peter with Kitty as he finally has someone to talk to about all the pressures of being a superhero and can join in on the action. But I'd really like to see a more detailed and elaborate crossover love triangle/square happen with MJ/Peter/Kitty/Bobby/Rogue. How is MJ dealing with Peter and Kitty? Will Iceman confront Peter about him hording in on his girl? Even though Kitty is totally crushing on Peter...will she get jealous as well when Bobby tries to hook up with Rogue again? Will Rogue even entertain the thought of being with Bobby when she's grieving over Gambit?

I could deal with Bendis doing a whole 4-issue throw away arc with little action happening since it's focusing on the character development.

All this could play out in an arc where MJ finally decides to grow up about Peter's life and her involvement.

Victor Von Doom said:
But I'd really like to see a more detailed and elaborate crossover love triangle/square happen with MJ/Peter/Kitty/Bobby/Rogue.
Than wouldn't that be a love pentagon.... :p

Yeah, yeah, I know. Joke sucks. Sue me.

Victor Von Doom said:
It's great to see Peter with Kitty as he finally has someone to talk to about all the pressures of being a superhero and can join in on the action.
Good thoughts but I really want to pick this apart, Victor. I have a big problem with people who say things like "can join in on the action". He was fine talking with MJ about his dealings of being a superhero. He was just worried about her stupidity at the time. I really doubt he's looking for a girlfriend who can fight alongside of him. If that is the case I don't think MJ's the one needs to grow up.

Latest posts

Back