Mary Jane or Kitty: Who do you like Peter with more?

Mary Jane or Kitty

• Mary Jane

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Kitty

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • Other/None (You're being difficult)

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters
TheManWithoutFear said:
Good thoughts but I really want to pick this apart, Victor. I have a big problem with people who say things like "can join in on the action". He was fine talking with MJ about his dealings of being a superhero. He was just worried about her stupidity at the time. I really doubt he's looking for a girlfriend who can fight alongside of him. If that is the case I don't think MJ's the one needs to grow up.
Agreed. He's not looking for someone like that, he just doesn't want someone who'll repeatedly keep ignoring the "Stay away so you can live!" warnings.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Good thoughts but I really want to pick this apart, Victor. I have a big problem with people who say things like "can join in on the action". He was fine talking with MJ about his dealings of being a superhero. He was just worried about her stupidity at the time. I really doubt he's looking for a girlfriend who can fight alongside of him. If that is the case I don't think MJ's the one needs to grow up.

Not a girlfriend who can fight alongside him but one who has enough super powers to take care of herself.

In the annual he says he can't date anyone but then agrees with Kitty's point that he could date somebody with super powers.

His choice of girlfriend in this respect can have something read into it (choosing a girlfriend that can literally render herself immune to physical harm, with the odd exception).

It seems to me (although this is of course just my take on things) that Peter is making a nice safe choice so he doesn't have to worry about his girlfriend coming to harm, although since him and MJ are still friends she is still in danger as is Aunt May meaning his logic isn't exactly up to scratch.

He either has to accept the risk he is putting his loved ones in, hang up his tights, or discard Peter Parker and shut himself off from the rest of the world, trying for some hazy middle ground is intellectually dishonest.

That is a little off topic so I will quickly get back on topic by saying a prefer MJ-Peter (although I don't care much either way), simply because MJ hanging around trying to win Peter back will get tiresome rather quickly.

Last edited:
Right now, I want Kitty because I feel that no matter what happens, no matter who he's with now, he'll eventually end up with Mary Jane. So let him have some fun with the mutant for a while.

Last edited:
Darkling said:
Not a girlfriend who can fight alongside him but one who has enough super powers to take care of herself.

In the annual he says he can't date anyone but then agrees with Kitty's point that he could date somebody with super powers.

His choice of girlfriend in this respect can have something read into it (choosing a girlfriend that can literally render herself immune to physical harm, with the odd exception).

It seems to me (although this is of course just my take on things) that Peter is making a nice safe choice so he doesn't have to worry about his girlfriend coming to harm, although since him and MJ are still friends she is still in danger as is Aunt May meaning his logic isn't exactly up to scratch.

He either has to accept the risk he is putting his loved ones in, hang up his tights, or discard Peter Parker and shut himself off from the rest of the world, trying for some hazy middle ground is intellectually dishonest.

That is a little off topic so I will quickly get back on topic by saying a prefer MJ-Peter (although I don't care much either way), simply because MJ hanging around trying to win Peter back will get tiresome rather quickly.
Well this is what I mean. If Peter is going out with Kitty for the fact that she can take care of herself is just plain retarded after he doesn't want to worry about Mary Jane. I mean if he was seriously down with love, he'd choose MJ because she more likely not to get into trouble.

How much sense does this make? Dumps MJ because she gets into trouble and then goes out with an X-Woman. Cmon! Kitty's in trouble all the time. She's part of the X-Men.

I really hope Bendis focuses on Peter's messed up logic.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well this is what I mean. If Peter is going out with Kitty for the fact that she can take care of herself is just plain retarded after he doesn't want to worry about Mary Jane. I mean if he was seriously down with love, he'd choose MJ because she more likely not to get into trouble.

How much sense does this make? Dumps MJ because she gets into trouble and then goes out with an X-Woman. Cmon! Kitty's in trouble all the time. She's part of the X-Men.

a) She can protect herself

b) Peters not responsible for the danger that Kitty gets into. He IS responsible for the trouble MJ gets into

Nurhachi said:
a) She can protect herself

b) Peters not responsible for the danger that Kitty gets into. He IS responsible for the trouble MJ gets into
It doesn't matter. Does Peter want a chick whose gonna throw herself into trouble. Kitty's not immortal and Peter knows that. She's in more trouble than MJ ever will be.

Yeah but the whole thing was that MJ was constintly in danger because of Peter. She got nabbed by the green goblin, got in danger in the hobgoblin fight, and in ultimate six. With Kitty, if Osborn came after her, he'd have the whole X-Men to deal with.

The difference is that Kitty is not put in danger because of him being Spider-Man. Shes in danger because shes an X-Man

TheManWithoutFear said:

Kitty can handle the trouble see gets into more than MJ and Peter doesn't consider it his responsibility to save her.

If Kitty ends up a thin paste on some villains boot he won't feel responsible for it, unlike MJ getting caught in the crossfire.

I also suspect that he probably cares more about MJ than Kitty and is less willing to risk the person he cares more about.

It isn't really about protecting the people he cares about (if it was he would drop out of school and cut off all contact with everyone), it is really about protecting himself, he doesn't want to ever have to deal with MJ getting killed because of him, if Kitty gets killed in one of his outings with the X-Men then Peter won't feel responsible and won't feel as bad as he did when he considered himself responsible for Gwen's death.

Kitty is convenient, she allowed Peter to be with somebody without accepting the fact that anybody he dates will be in a certain amount of danger (regardless of whether they act in a silly manner).

As you say it isn't very logical but I expect he will have to face up to that fact sooner of later.

Personally, I think if this is Peter's train of thought than he's not really much of a "hero". If he has the feelings he has for MJ, he'd still care that Kitty was being sent to Genosha or being attacked by Sentinels. I think the logic's way too messed up. On the surface it might easily be tossed of as what you guys are saying but Peter shouldn't want anyone in trouble regardless of if they can or can't take care of themselves.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Personally, I think if this is Peter's train of thought than he's not really much of a "hero". If he has the feelings he has for MJ, he'd still care that Kitty was being sent to Genosha or being attacked by Sentinels. I think the logic's way too messed up. On the surface it might easily be tossed of as what you guys are saying but Peter shouldn't want anyone in trouble regardless of if they can or can't take care of themselves.
I think he still would care, of course, but it seems that he's not going to worry as much as he would with MJ who can't defend herself like Kitty can.

TheManWithoutFear said:

No he shouldn't want anybody in trouble, but on the other hand he also wants a girlfriend, instead of making an adult decision (either accept the risk or accept the loss of a social life as a necessary penalty) he has found a nice third option.

It may not be very heroic but he is teenager who is rather new to the hero business, lapses are to be expected (unless one is looking for a bland character).

I personally believe that Kitty should be the girlfriend, this is why:

1. This is a major change from the 616 universe and that is good, I dont' want to read the same story of Spider-Man with just the term ultimate slapped on the book. Remember it's a different universe, not the same.

2. Kitty is connected to the X-men, so maybe we will have a X-men/Spiderman Mini coming soon.

3. Mary Jane is a regular person and as far as regular people go in the Ultimate Marvel universe, they get boring after a while. When Peter is going to be dating a girl with powers of her own, and have an team affiliation then more adventures are sure to happen.

More adventures+More characters+Diverse and deep plotlines=Happy readers.

Welcome, Vader.

I do agree that the change in relationships from the 616 universe is a good one, but you'v got to wonder if that's the only reason why it was done. I mean, the time came for Peter and MJ to break up... That was obvious. But, when the Annual rolled around... Do you really think that Kitty was at the top of Peter's list as a replacement or as a new girlfriend? No. I think Bendis just pulled strings just to be different. That's why he included Omega Red, after all.

He'd probably have more chance of getting kitty in the sack. She has posters of her wall for chrissakes.

So Kitty. And then MJ, then cheat on MJ, then apologise a lot explaining that he's just a guy and couldn't help himself, and then MJ again, and claim to have had another relapse with another random bird and that he's always seen MJ as the person that he would end up with, and the Kitty again as an old flame (but don't tell MJ).

Dude.. for real, it works.

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
Welcome, Vader.

I do agree that the change in relationships from the 616 universe is a good one, but you'v got to wonder if that's the only reason why it was done. I mean, the time came for Peter and MJ to break up... That was obvious. But, when the Annual rolled around... Do you really think that Kitty was at the top of Peter's list as a replacement or as a new girlfriend? No. I think Bendis just pulled strings just to be different. That's why he included Omega Red, after all.

Good to be here. Well from the Annual we see that Peter didn't really chase after Kitty to be his new girlfriend, she called him up. In a way she fell into his lap. I think that Peter did not want anyone at that point because he was always scared that someone he knows will get hurt by enemies of Ultimate Spider-Man but, Kitty on the other hand belongs to the Ultimate x-men so there is less a possibility that the Hobgoblin or another baddie will come back and try to kidnap Kitty with the hopes of getting to spiderman. Not with the whole X-Men team standing in his way.

Now my two cents on Omega Red....
The character design was pretty good,i think it's an improvements but, i think they need to give him a better story, explore his origins and such.

Kitty. It plays well. As a super hero herself, she can help Peter. I'm sure Peter and MJ will have more time with each other later. But for now It's Kitty's turn.

It set up the same whole thing that MJ and Gwen of the 616 Universe had. before Gwen died. Not saying MJ or Kitty is going to die. But It the conflicked they had. Tryin' to show Peter how much they both love him. You know this the kind of thing that will bug Peter later. Have both MJ and Kitty fight over him.

I'm not quite sure who he should be with but here are some of my thought processes.

- Peter enjoys the fact that Kitty can phase and believes that makes her safe EVEN if a bad guy attacks her. I think, however, he believes "his" villans to be more sadistic and dangerous than anything the X-Men have faced even though he acknowledges she has saved the world. His villans have tracked him down and try to make him hurt personally and proffesionally just for the sake of hate. He views as having a lond distance relationship as another way to protect against his villans from attacking her. Also she lives in the X-Mansion, which is basically a fortress. This view is a little immature but I think his knowledge about Kitty's villans his lacking. On the other half of the coin I do not think Kitty realizes just how disturbed and psycho Peter's villans are even though they have faced off in the danger room. I would like to see an arc, a team-up, where they both realize just how dangerous each other villans are.

- I really like Kitty as a character and enjoy having her, or Peter show up in their respective titles. I think its neat and have seen very little of this type of relationship in most other comics.

- I do not know how long this relationship is going to last, but I believe it will eventually end. I would like to see a story arc where the X-men and the Ultimates (in whatever form they take after U2) face off, and Peter has to choose between helping Kitty or helping SHIELD/Ultimates (in whatever form they take after U2). A great scene would have Cap (I believe Peter has great respect for him and especially admires him after Ultimate 6) convince Peter to help them and Kitty not understand why Peter has betrayed her.

- I did enjoy Peter's angst about worrying about MJ for a while and thought it added a lot to the comic but Bendis WAY overplayed or let it go on for too long and it became a sour taste in my mouth. In that sense I'm glad for the relationship change but in the end the vulnerability that MJ added to Peter was great and will eventually want back, I think.

- MJ needs to be developed more as a character, like she was in Dumped, before her and Peter get back together. I also hope that Bendis will get rid of the longing stares that Peter and MJ share in class because that is starting to wear. Just have her NOT worry about Peter for a while and get her own act together. The author can either do this actively or passively but would prefer passively to show gradual maturity and change. Btw when I say passively I mean to have Peter ask about her once her twice and have somebody tell him that she is taking acting classes or something like that.

I think in the end I will vote for Kitty because I really want to see my 3rd point happen and somehow Peter and her get back together. I think it make for some real good soap opera action.

Latest posts

Back