Millar: Ultimates 2 #11 off to the printer

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
Over on MW, MM does a little hand-holding for all of us who are a leeeeeetle on the impatient side:

.... I think you're right. It's good to assure people this is in the can and off to press. But no blame for Hitchy here. I'd been really sick-- worst ever-- for about six weeks after picking up a super-virus crohn's meds allowed in and couldn't revise the dialogue after Hitcheroo finished the art. He's well into issue twelve already so any delays on this ish are down to me.

MM
 

Shihad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
583
Location
New Zealand
So is he writing it as he goes then?
I thought for Hitch to draw anything, he would have to have a script/plot.
And i thought that would be Millar's job.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Shihad said:
So is he writing it as he goes then?
I thought for Hitch to draw anything, he would have to have a script/plot.
And i thought that would be Millar's job.

What he seems to be saying is that he's handing the script to Hitch, Hitch draws it, then Millar tweaks dialogue to fit Hitch's art.
 

jtg3885

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
2,940
Location
Connecticut
E said:
What he seems to be saying is that he's handing the script to Hitch, Hitch draws it, then Millar tweaks dialogue to fit Hitch's art.
Bingo. Hence us seeing preview pages that sometimes have bubbles with no words.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Rhyo said:
Over on MW, MM does a little hand-holding for all of us who are a leeeeeetle on the impatient side:

.... I think you're right. It's good to assure people this is in the can and off to press. But no blame for Hitchy here. I'd been really sick-- worst ever-- for about six weeks after picking up a super-virus crohn's meds allowed in and couldn't revise the dialogue after Hitcheroo finished the art. He's well into issue twelve already so any delays on this ish are down to me.

MM

Dang...this is good news, but at the same time I thought Hitch would be well into #13 by now...not #12.
 

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
Rhyo said:
Over on MW, MM does a little hand-holding for all of us who are a leeeeeetle on the impatient side:

.... I think you're right. It's good to assure people this is in the can and off to press. But no blame for Hitchy here. I'd been really sick-- worst ever-- for about six weeks after picking up a super-virus crohn's meds allowed in and couldn't revise the dialogue after Hitcheroo finished the art. He's well into issue twelve already so any delays on this ish are down to me.

MM
Damn Millar and his illnesses! He should really be ashamed of himself for getting sick. How irresponsible!
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
moonmaster said:
Damn Millar and his illnesses! He should really be ashamed of himself for getting sick. How irresponsible!

Eh...that sarcasm is a little unfair...if there were only six weeks worth of delays that'd be one thing...but this title started shipping November of 2004 right? By the way it looks now it'll be November, 2006 before its done. For a 13 issue series that was promised not to have the same horrendous shipping delays as the first series to take two years to ship...a six week illness don't cut the mustard.

On the other side of the argument, I understand Hitch had some personal problems, etc as well, so don't take this argument the wrong way. Just saying the delays by now have exhausted the patience of even the most hardcore Zen Buddhist.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
moonmaster said:
Damn Millar and his illnesses! He should really be ashamed of himself for getting sick. How irresponsible!
Calling Moonmaster to Room 5: Gonorrhea treatment. Doctor Hittlar will see you now.
 

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
So is sarcasm outlawed or something now?
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Ice said:
Don't worry. You didn't do anything wrong.

Yes...yes he did.


Anyway, I'm just saying I'm a bit sick of people *****ing about the delays (though I do it plenty myself), and then others defending them about it. Point is they made a promise they didn't keep...a promise it seems like they almost went out of their way not to keep (remember, Ultimates 2 according to their original statements was supposed to be done he end of 2005). I understand **** happens in life to screw up plans, but that much **** to delay it a year?

Anyway, I'm just glad its almost over, as I've enjoyed it immensly and the only downside has been the constant delays. Now I can look forward to a sub-par series (Ultimates 3) that'll probably ship on time... :(
 

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
DIrishB said:
Yes...yes he did.


Anyway, I'm just saying I'm a bit sick of people *****ing about the delays (though I do it plenty myself), and then others defending them about it. Point is they made a promise they didn't keep...a promise it seems like they almost went out of their way not to keep (remember, Ultimates 2 according to their original statements was supposed to be done he end of 2005). I understand **** happens in life to screw up plans, but that much **** to delay it a year?

Anyway, I'm just glad its almost over, as I've enjoyed it immensly and the only downside has been the constant delays. Now I can look forward to a sub-par series (Ultimates 3) that'll probably ship on time... :(
I'm really not one to ***** about the delays, I was just making a smartass comment. I'm actually a bit relieved to hear that Millar's sickness has caused some of the delays. It makes the delays seem less annoying when their's a good explanation for them.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
moonmaster said:
I'm really not one to ***** about the delays, I was just making a smartass comment. I'm actually a bit relieved to hear that Millar's sickness has caused some of the delays. It makes the delays seem less annoying when their's a good explanation for them.
Right.

And you didn't do anything wrong. :wink:
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
moonmaster said:
I'm really not one to ***** about the delays, I was just making a smartass comment.

I know, I was just using it as a springboard to start my own *****ing. Circles within circles, man.

I'm actually a bit relieved to hear that Millar's sickness has caused some of the delays. It makes the delays seem less annoying when their's a good explanation for them.

Quite true...and assuming there aren't any more delays, we'll be seeing this next week, right?
 
Last edited:

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
DIrishB said:
Quite true...and assuming there aren't any more delays, we'll be seeing this next week, right?
No, the 14th, as it was said a couple days go, and it's on the main page here.

14th is 2 weeks away, which is what Marvel does. They go to print 2 weeks on a comic before they ship.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
I found this posted over on CBR.com. Not sure if this holds any water or not, but this might be an interesting clue as to why there are so many delays (at least when not chalked up to Millar or Hitch having personal issues come up):

Siddon from CBR said:
Because Marvel has moved its business plan from its format of 12issue monthlies and long series to a more mini-based and brand based business model. Also they want to get good sales quarterly numbers so during the first and third you will see multiple titles out that fail that may not be so good for the purpose of opening the market up for the lesser titles to be successful and so that when the competition increases during those third and forth quarters the comic has already established a fan-base.

So if Marvel can get 4 Ultimates comics(11,12,13,1) out in the second quarter and forth quarter then there sales numbers will be higher then the competition and everyone will be happy.

Marvel is going to stretch and manipulate its high-end comics(Astonishing, Ultimates, Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk, New Avengers, Civil War, Young Avengers) so that there quarterly numbers are as high as possible during the high sales quarters(summer and winter).

I also think Marvel is a little nervous because on paper DC's expansion is going to look really good for the first year, though personally I have my doubts as DC has over-saturated the market with this relaunch and many of these gimicks may turn out to be the stuff that kills companies.

Normally during these relaunches only a handful of these new comics survive(AD being the huge exception as it seriously boosted all the comics involved(Young Avengers, House of M, New Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-woman, Sentry, Wolverine, Amazing Spider-man, Captain America)
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
Because Marvel has moved its business plan from its format of 12issue monthlies and long series to a more mini-based and brand based business model. Also they want to get good sales quarterly numbers so during the first and third you will see multiple titles out that fail that may not be so good for the purpose of opening the market up for the lesser titles to be successful and so that when the competition increases during those third and forth quarters the comic has already established a fan-base.

So if Marvel can get 4 Ultimates comics(11,12,13,1) out in the second quarter and forth quarter then there sales numbers will be higher then the competition and everyone will be happy.

Marvel is going to stretch and manipulate its high-end comics(Astonishing, Ultimates, Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk, New Avengers, Civil War, Young Avengers) so that there quarterly numbers are as high as possible during the high sales quarters(summer and winter).

Wow, is that ever total BS (and badly written - the run-on sentence in the first paragraph make no sense).

First, it assumes that Marvel is doing this (shipping late and shipping at targeted times) on purpose - which I don't believe for a second. I think Marvel's control over WHEN titles ship is tenuous at best, and I don't think there is a giant conspiracy to boost quarterly numbers and profits by timing the shipping of comics because I frankly don't think that they MAKE that much on individual comics, as opposed to movie, toy and IP rights.

I think too many people have seen the Davinci Code and taken the conspiracy therories to heart....
 

Latest posts

Top