Miracleman (Marvel)

Re: Marvel to Publish Marvelman!

I also find Venom Melendez calling me a fanboy hilarious. :lol:

The irony was not lost on me. But still, they didn't promise anything aside of the fact that they own the character.

What an enormous letdown.

But don't worry Marvel fans, when you're tired of getting burned, DC will still be there for you, putting out affordable quality comics every week.

What an enormous letdown.

But don't worry Marvel fans, when you're tired of getting burned, DC will still be there for you, putting out affordable quality comics every week.

No, they're worst.

What about DC is worse than Marvel now?

Nothing, that's what.

Yeah I can't name any of the main titles at Marvel that match any of the main titles at DC in care and concept.

What about DC is worse than Marvel now?

Nothing, that's what.

I like most of the stuff both companies are putting out right now. Though both companies have their share of crap (DC=Red Robin, Titans, Vigilante) (Marvel=Some of the X-Men and Avengers stuff depending on who you ask).

I like most of the stuff both companies are putting out right now. Though both companies have their share of crap (DC=Red Robin, Titans, Vigilante) (Marvel=Some of the X-Men and Avengers stuff depending on who you ask).

Actually Marvel's X-Men stuff is by far their best right now in my opinion.

DC wins at the moment because they don't have Jeph Loeb writing red versions of their characters.

DC wins at the moment because they don't have Jeph Loeb writing red versions of their characters.

They just have Geoff Johns writing every color versions of their characters.

So back to Marvel/Miracleman...

Saw an iFanboy podcast talking about the character's history (story wise/publication & rights) and it's all very intriguing. And I saw that Chuck Austen even drew an issue or arc or whatever - but he went by a different last name. Ha.

How is it their fault? Don't be such a fanboy. Your the one who jumped to conclusions.

I don't think so. I think Marvel is being manipulative on this one, purposely saying we own Marvelman and adding that they're in talks with the creative teams that brought notoriety to the character (the already loaded guns of Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman) and then to NOT have the rights to the previous run that, well, people actually give a crap about. Its not just bad form, its a half step from outright lieing to your customer. Its saying we've got grade A kobe beef on hand, then giving them a boca burger.

When I read the announcemnt I was excited. I haven't gotten to read Miracleman (an name I prefer, but hey, its Marvel, they're gonna go with Marvelman.) by Moore and Gaiman. I want to read it. I want to know what happens. Its got such a mistique about it, and thats exaclty what Marvel is playing to. If all they release is the equivelent of Showcase Presents Captain Marvel (which I own, fun stuff :D) then theres no reason for 99% of comic readers to care.

So back to Marvel/Miracleman...

Saw an iFanboy podcast talking about the character's history (story wise/publication & rights) and it's all very intriguing. And I saw that Chuck Austen even drew an issue or arc or whatever - but he went by a different last name. Ha.

I watched that, and it was so bad I laughed several times throughout. They started talking about it and kept saying things about it that weren't true in the story. It really sounded like they hadn't read it at all.

On top of that they were very dismissive of it quality-wise, which I thought was pretty weird.

Mark Buckingham on the announcement.

Of note, it looks like he is on board with the idea of finishing what he and Gaiman started:

As for whether the creative team will complete the last four parts of their "Silver Age" story and move on the proposed "Dark Age" finale, Buckingham simply said, "This is all very sudden and in its early days, but it would be wonderful if we had the opportunity to return to complete the story that we started. You'll have to wait and see. I'm just very excited that the character is back and that a new generation will get to enjoy it."

(A curious statement, since - at present - no one is any closer to being able to enjoy the part of the character/story that most people enjoy; that is, Moore's run)

By the way, I don't think Mark gets the credit he deserves for the work he did on this series. He incorporates a wide variety of styles and, well, his work is just cool to look at.

Latest posts

Back