Moon Knight (Warren Ellis/Declan Shalvey) - Spoilers

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Warren Ellis to pit Moon Knight against 'weird crime' in Marvel series

Moon Knight may not yet be a marquee Marvel character, but he's acclaimed writer Warren Ellis' kind of weird.

A mercenary brought back to life by an ancient Egyptian god, the moneyed, gadget-equipped vigilante alter ego of Marc Spector fights crime at night dressed in white. Moon Knight has been criticized as a less compelling Batman, but Ellis, the British writer who will pen an upcoming comic book series featuring the character, mischievously twists the comparison.

"The man is demented in more interesting ways than I think Batman ever was," he said by phone from his home in Southend-on-Sea, England, in a conversation punctuated with laughs and coughs. "[His] cape is actually a crescent moon and he goes out only at night and dresses in reflective white so you can see him coming. Now that's nuts…. I like that."

moon_knight_3.jpg

Re: New Moon Knight series (Warren Ellis/Declan Shalvey)

Weird crime. Global Frequency?

Moon Knight is a really great and underrated character. He is well thought out like Daredevil, and it's a shame that so few writers are able to write him well. Charlie Huston did a great job. Bendis's mini with Alex Maleev was OK and I thought the idea of other heroes as his personalities was interesting, but it ultimately fell a little flat.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

This pisses me off so much! I can't afford all of these new books!

This pisses me off so much! I can't afford all of these new books!

Post a list of your pulls - I will find something for you to drop. :-D

Solicitation for #1 in March:

MOON KNIGHT #1
WARREN ELLIS (W)
DECLAN SHALVEY (A/C)
VARIANT cover by Adi Granov
VARIANT cover by Bill Sienkienwicz
ANIMAL VARIANT BY KATIE COOK
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
Marc Spector is Moon Knight!...Or is he? It's hard to tell these days, especially when New York's wildest vigilante protects the street with two-fisted justice and three—that's right, count 'em—different personalities! But even with the mystical force of Khonshu fueling his crusade, how does the night's greatest detective save a city that's as twisted as he is? The road to victory is going to hurt. A lot. Marvel's most mind-bending adventure begins NOW as Moon Knight sleuths his way to the rotten core of New York's most bizarre mysteries!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

This was the best comic I've read in a long time. Ellis' interpretation of the character is interesting and fresh, and the art style fit perfectly. I'm interested to see whether the book will feature more of the short term storytelling like this first issue or if it will follow a longer arc. Honestly I think it might be interesting to see what could be done with shorter, less serialized stories, but I doubt that will be the case.

I'm undecided after one issue.

I will most definitely keep reading - it wasn't a bad book. But these are pretty radical changes. Marc's brain is infested by an alien, and they've done away with the DPD/split personality? He's a detective helping police now? It's a pretty radical set of changes. I'm not sure they are bad yet, but they are so radical that I need some more convincing.

That said, the tone of the book was really good.

I've finally read the issue and I liked it. It was weird, but that's Ellis for you.

It definitely didn't feel like "#1"-type issue. It wasn't your standard set-up story or anything, but it still did a good job of it.

I was pretty ambivalent to it. I mean, it was okay... but it just read as a pretty paint-by-numbers Ellis one-shot, not bad but phoned in. The art was real pretty, but then, it's competing with a bunch of gorgeous Marvel books that are already out there.

I'll give it another few issues, but I'm not really hooked yet.

This week's issue is easily the best if the bunch. For those not reading it it's a Dredd/The Raid style building climb of Moon Knight wrecking thugs. And it's glorious. My hats off to the artist.

So what are people thinking about Brian Wood taking over? He's one of the few writers that I think could continue with the style Ellis is working with here without turning out total dreck.

This week's issue is easily the best if the bunch. For those not reading it it's a Dredd/The Raid style building climb of Moon Knight wrecking thugs. And it's glorious. My hats off to the artist.

So what are people thinking about Brian Wood taking over? He's one of the few writers that I think could continue with the style Ellis is working with here without turning out total dreck.

I'm not sure. DMZ and Northlanders were great, but Wood's company-owned stuff hasn't impressed me too much.

Plus, the whole sexual harassment accusations have soured me a bit to him.

I'm not sure. DMZ and Northlanders were great, but Wood's company-owned stuff hasn't impressed me too much.

Agreed on both counts. I'll be dropping this after Ellis leaves and I doubt I will continue reading it.

I've been trying very hard to do the whole "separate the art from the artist" thing lately. And I loved his Conan, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

I kind of always want Moon Knight to be good too.

Read #5 just now and I liked this issue the best from the series so far. It sucks Ellis is leaving after the next issue as his work on this, with Declan Shalvey has been brilliant. Moon Knight going floor by floor and kicking everyone's *** was great.

And the ending...

tumblr_n8gvajo64V1qasnlao1_1280.png

tumblr_n8gvajo64V1qasnlao2_1280.png

*goosebumps*

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back