Moonmaster's Art

Your shading is excellent, as is your composition and perspective. You seem to be very good at drawing little details. However, you tend to skew your proportions and need to work on drawing the human body correctly. You are very good at making inanimate objects look real but need to work on people. My suggestion? Just watch people, try to get a feel for how they look, memorize little details about them. That's what I do anyway. Don't stare too long though, or people start will start calling you a perv and hit you with stuff.

I've been meaning to start a thread with my own art, but I've been too lazy to scan any of it. Maybe I'll get around to it tomorrow, as I have the day off of school.

Dude, Wade...

You sound like those stupid old guys I hate on other boards who just list things wrong and give **** advice like "watch people." (Do you think he's lived in a hole his whole life? Of course he realizes the proportion thing, he recognized it himself.)

And you're only 16. I'm so sorry those geezers have gotten to you.

Like I know it seems like I'm ripping into you, but trust me, I'm more angry at the old guys who that post emulates than I am at you (cuz I'm not upset with you at all)

/end rant

sorry guys.

Dude, Wade...

You sound like those stupid old guys I hate on other boards who just list things wrong and give **** advice like "watch people." (Do you think he's lived in a hole his whole life? Of course he realizes the proportion thing, he recognized it himself.)

And you're only 16. I'm so sorry those geezers have gotten to you.

Like I know it seems like I'm ripping into you, but trust me, I'm more angry at the old guys who that post emulates than I am at you (cuz I'm not upset with you at all)

/end rant

sorry guys.

Dude, I'm just giving advice based on what I saw of his art. I don't really know what "geezers" you're talking about, because I've never had a formal art lesson in my life and don't really post on any other boards. And if you noticed, I didn't just list things that were wrong. I mentioned the things that I liked about his art as well.

Y'know, I'm going to have to agree with Wade on this one. You're good, especially with spot shading, but your characters are a bit dumpy. One of the best recommendations I ever received was to bypass all these "How to Draw" books, and just pick up a medical anatomy book. Once you get the basics down, you know what and how to exaggerate and stylize.

On another note, Skotti is right. Because she's like, an artist and stuff.

ok. I'm not even going to go search for my thread right now.

But anyways, I'm just saying, the thing I'm critical about is useless help like "watch people." Studying anatomy books is different, and EXTREMELY helpful (if you devote yourself to it). Trying for divine proportion is different, and helpful (if you can visually grasp it and manually "measure" it). Like, actual, physical tips you can put into practice in your drawings are helpful. "Watch people" is something we do every day, and if proportions are still not right, then other methods are helpful.

And yeah, I agree with what you said are his positive points. I said them myself.

Back to that drawing of Batman, though- like for instance, his left arm (on our right, the one with the detonator) is much longer than his other arm (measure from the top of the shoulder to the elbow, make a mark equidistant vertically from the same point, then do the same from the elbow to the fist- it goes down about a fist's lenght farther than the other arm. That arm is fine, but his right [our left] is just too short). Try to equalize limb length.

Anatomy books and divine proportion help when it comes to leg length in this case. Also keep in mind that an individual's wingspan (finger tip to finger tip when arms are spread out) is roughly equal to his height. When you know your torso is the right length, and you're still having trouble with the legs, you can take your arm's measurements, make marks in a horizontal line with the shoulders, and use that for height (sometimes, making the height greater makes for a more heroic figure-- but then, watch out for arm length!). When I learned little proportion tricks in the human body, it helped my art a LOT. Like, for instance, the wingspan thing; your foot is as long as your forearm; 1:1.618; etc.

Also, again, on this Batman one, the head is a bit too far away from the body- kinda like Mr. Mackey on South Park. Just bring it down a little (which may be frustrating cuz you'll have to draw it again).

Now that all that advice is out-- I still LOVE your style. And I just figured out why. I don't know whether you will take this as a compliment or not, but if someone said this to me, I would...

Your art reminds me of Frank Quitely. Especially your line work. There's a realistic, rugged wrinkle in the Batman especially that brings this out, and its apparent in the Authority piece too. Quitely's figures are a little squat and stocky as well, but yours is a bit too much. I'm sure you can correct it. And again, I love and envy your shading skill.

Well, that's it for me for now. I'm gonna dig up that art link of mine and post it somewhere. EDIT: there, now its in my signature. Give it a look, whydontcha ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back