Most Anticipated Films of 2011?

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
The Playlist has created a good list, consisting of 100 films in three parts: one, two, and three.

What are you looking forward to?

Just the ones that caught my eye for whatever reason...

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN - If you haven't read Herge's comics, do so. They're a wonderful childish treat, and this movie is written by Stephen "Best Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes Writer" Moffat.
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO - I have only heard wonders about the original, which I have at home and not yet watched. I'll be interested to see the US version for differences. It's really more research than entertainment for me.
THE DESCENDANTS - Alexander Payne did ABOUT SCHMIDT and SIDEWAYS so this could be good.
THE BEAVER - I like Mel Gibson.
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - There's a part of me that thinks due it it being set in the 60s, this could be terrific fun in an Indiana Jones kind of way.
SHERLOCK HOLMES 2 - The first was fun, and it'll be interesting to see if this is any better.
HANGOVER 2 - As above.
COWBOYS AND ALIENS - Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig? A movie by Favreau that he's happy with? Probably going to be fun.
TOWER HEIST - Depends on Stiller, but I can imagine this being a great departure from his stupid family 'comedy' stuff.
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY - Gary Oldman. Hell yes.

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN - yay Tintin!
THE MUPPETS - I may not see this in theatres, but I love the muppets
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - This one could go either way, but I remain optimistic
SHERLOCK HOLMES 2 - I just watched the first one the other day, i forgot how much fun it was.
COWBOYS AND ALIENS - Harrison Ford/Daniel Craig/Jon Favreau
KUNG FOO PANDA 2: THE KABOOM OF DOOM - Ska2oosh
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY - I agree with Bass
THE EAGLE - I read The Eagle of the Ninth as a Kid. This has potential to be a great movie. I had no idea it was being made and now I'm excited.
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU - this will probably suck, but Matt Damon is one of my favourite actors.

as well as movies they didn't mention:
THOR - gonna be sick.
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER - gonna be sicker
CARS 2 - awesome
WINNIE THE POOH - looks cute
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES - I loved the first, wasn't crazy about the second, and hated the third. But I'm hoping this fresh start (story-wise) will allow them to recapture what was great about the first film.
GREEN LANTERN - (I hope)
THE THREE MUSKETEERS (i hope i can find it in 2D)
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 4 - GHOST PROTOCOL

Last edited:
Films from the list that I have an opinion of some kind on, with ones I actively want to see in bold.

The Tree Of Life - I won't even watch the full trailer because the first 30 seconds of it was enough to make me decide to see it. Whatever it's about, it looks very powerful. Will possibly be a much more low-key disappointment. We'll see.

War Horse - The plot doesn't jump out at me, but it's Spielberg, so I'm interested.

The Adventures Of Tintin - My dad read these with me throughout childhood. Still have all our books. The perfect cast, look, Spielberg, Jackson and John Williams sweeten the deal.

The Skin That I Inhabit - I haven't seen any Almodovar but I love Banderas and the premise could lead to some gripping stuff. Not that anxious, but interested.

Melancolia - I've never seen a Lars Von Trier film and am in no hurry to. The premise of this is extremely intriguing, but I'll wait for some reactions first.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Still need to read the books and see the Swedish versions. Fincher is great and all, but this seems like the most unnecessary country-swap remake since the black Death At A Funeral.

The Contagion and Haywire - Not a fan of Soderberg. We'll see if they look good.

The Descendants - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4

We Bought A Zoo - I dunno. I like Cameron Crowe a lot, though.

The Muppets - That's the real title. The Muppet Movie came out in 1979. Anyway, maybe and hopefully this will be great, but it feels more like it will be decent but everybody will feel guilted into calling it great. Meh.

Hugo Cabret - Shutter Island is the only Scorcese film I didn't hate in a decade, and I still didn't love it. I can't resist seeing him attempt a sci-fi film though, especially since he's not even defaulting to DiCaprio. This could be the start of something big.

On The Road - I need to read the book first. This could be a classic. Pretty lame that Kristin Stewart's in it, though.

30 Minutes Or Less - I love Zombieland and Eisenberg, but it's surprising they're making a comedy out of such a tragic and frustrating true story.

Your Highness - Maybe this'll be retarded, but Pineaplle Express was great and having watched the trailer.... count me in.

Paul - On paper this looks good, but the trailer didn't look much funnier to me than your average episode of American Dad!.

Crazy, Stupid Love - Carell plus Gosling.

Wanderlust - I don't actually know much about this, but it's directed by David Wain so I'll automatically see it. Having said that, I'm not usually a fan of the stuff Wain and Marino alone write together. The Ten, for example, was really weak, and the bland cast here doesn't help. Rudd is so much better as a supporting character in Wain stuff, but he's popular so he's always the generic lead now. Meh.

The Beaver - This was one of my most anticipated movies of 2010 when it was on last year's list. Foster and Gibson, with Foster directing, and one of the most ridiculous premises ever. Psyched.

Resltess - That description makes it sound infuriatingly stupid, but I'm still at least a little interested.

X-Men: First Class - I don't know how good this will actually be, although it'll probably be worth watching, and better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Probable continuity issues I'll want to block out aside, at least it's got Matthew Vaughn, and I mainly just want to keep the franchise alive and successful in hopes that they make X4, and get Singer to direct it.

Super 8 - Definitely.

Source Code - Sounds interesting, plus Duncan Jones is directing and Gylenhaal stars. I'm listening.

Attack The Block - Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

One Day - The premise is a neat enough experiment to get my attention.

Sherlock Holmes 2 - The first was great, and I didn't expect it to be. My
whole family will see this in theaters, probably opening weekend.

The Hangover 2 - The first was great. This will either be just as good, better, or a depressing disaster that runs itself into the ground and puts way too much focus on Galifianakis' breakout character. I'm looking forward to it and hoping they do it right.

A Dangerous Method - Sounds interesting, especially with those two playing Freud and Jung.

Cowboys & Aliens - Favreau, mainly.

The Darkest Hour - I guess we've found this year's excessive cinema trend. At this point, I'm tentatively on board for all of them.

Now - It's a science fiction film by Andrew "Gattaca and The Truman Show" Niccol, and that's all I need to go see it.

I'll read the third part later.

There's only one movie of 2011 I care about....

Hugh Jackman in Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots: The Movie.

I can't wait to see Gary Oldman win an Oscar for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

My top ones of 2011 (some may not be on their list)
(not in order)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Kung Fu Panda 2
X-Men: First Class
Cars 2
The Smurfs
Happy Feet 2
The Muppets (unless it's like last ones)
Sherlock Holmes 2
Arthur Christmas
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

So far these are the ones I like.

Super 8
The Muppets film
Attack on the block
Sherlock Holmes 2
Melancholia
Crazy, Stupid, Love
The Hangover 2
Cowboys & Aliens
Now

I just found out that "The Three Musketeers" and "Mission: Impossible 4"

are both coming out this year! awesome.

Man, I'm worried about MI4. The third one was so good, and such a great way to end the trilogy. I'm glad Cruise/Ethan is back for this one but am praying they don't throw out everything he achieved in the last one.

are we allowed to post trailers and news about 2011 movies in this thread or keep it in movies 8 thread if they don't already have a thread?

are we allowed to post trailers and news about 2011 movies in this thread or keep it in movies 8 thread if they don't already have a thread?

also: is this replacing the "Movies of 2010" thread as the place we talk about new movies we've seen this year?

Yes to nigma, no to CaptainCanuck.

i am really looking forward to this
[video=youtube;KdHUQtnJsyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHUQtnJsyQ&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I'm looking forward to THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO because it's Fincher and the Swedish version is pretty kick-ass.

Latest posts

Back