Movies of 2011

The reviews for Sucker Punch confirm all the things about Snyder than I'm worried will ruin his Superman film, turned up to 11 - Utterly excessive, nauseating amounts of pointless, plotless visuals(all CGI, of course), and ultimately immature. Maybe he's gotten it all out of his system now? :please:

I don't know if it's good or bad, but it seems like a lot of the criticism I'm reading has more to do with nerds ganging up on something than people having actually seen it and commenting on what they saw.

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO
SUCKER PUNCH

Save yourself some money. Do not see SUCKER PUNCH.

:( i was looking forward to this movie as a guilty pleasure.......guess now i'll have to wait for Your Highness instead.

was it even more over the top then
the slow motion gun fight scene while hes having sex in Drive Angry?

I don't know if it's good or bad, but it seems like a lot of the criticism I'm reading has more to do with nerds ganging up on something than people having actually seen it and commenting on what they saw.

Speaking for myself, outside of Djf's one-line review there all I've read are the RottenTomatoes page and a thread on IMDb complaining that none of the main five girls are black. It sounds pretty bad.... I can't call it a bad film without seeing it, but it the reviews definitely sound like I don't want to.

I am finding Adam Hughes' tweets about SUCKER PUNCH to be quite amusing.

Adam Hughes said:
SUCKERPUNCH. It was like two trains, conducted by Michael Bay & Stephen Sommers while filled with napalm & kittens, wrecking. AMAZING.
Adam Hughes said:
No... being drunk didn't help.
In response to a tweet asking him what he expected from the film...
Adam Hughes said:
Interesting characters, volume control, a meaningful point not delivered with a mallet, subtlety....

"Volume control" had me howling.

I haven't seen "Sucker Punch" and I don't really plan to but it certainly looks like the damning, definitive evidence in my argument that Zack Snyder is really a 14-year-old boy who got magically, permanently turned into an adult à la "Big" and got a job as a movie director through a wacky series of misunderstandings.

I haven't seen "Sucker Punch" and I don't really plan to but it certainly looks like the damning, definitive evidence in my argument that Zack Snyder is really a 14-year-old boy who got magically, permanently turned into an adult à la "Big" and got a job as a movie director through a wacky series of misunderstandings.

Well if Snyders is Tom hanks then who is Robert Loggia?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed.

I always wonder why people go to films expecting more than what it promises.

I have now seen the film Sucker Punch.

I think it's a giant joke. Even the title of the movie gives it away. This movie is so awful, that it Sucker Punches you into going, cause the trailer seemed full of awesome.

The story itself isn't bad. Girl goes to nuthouse, girl tries to escape from nuthouse, girl gets overwhelmed and explains it all through a fantasy.

What killed it was the fight scenes. They were nothing more than horrific anime/manga style fights that drew on too long and made the story disjointed.

The first fight was fine, what killed it for me was the second fight. I almost fell asleep during it, Sexynurse did. Fight scenes shouldn't drag like that, after five minutes of intense action, you need to dial it down so that the audience can recover before moving on. It never did.

The story was decent though. I thought it was the best part of the film, the inane fight scenes however killed it for me.

The first fight was fine, what killed it for me was the second fight. I almost fell asleep during it, Sexynurse did. Fight scenes shouldn't drag like that, after five minutes of intense action, you need to dial it down so that the audience can recover before moving on. It never did.

That's very astute. I now want to watch the film just to see how it messes that up, as an example of how "not to do it".

I left the film during the fourth fight.

The third fight at least was quick. The fourth fight dragged from the getgo. I'm amazed that fight scenes could actually do that.

Last edited:
Exactly. I'm curious to watch it for that reason. Same reasoning behind my watching of Shyamalan's THE LAST AIRBENDER, dear lord it still hurts.

I just saw Sucker Punch. It wasn't as bad as I feared going in, or as bad as some of the review would lead you to believe. On one level it is pretty much what you would expect: hot girls fighting CGI monsters. But on another there seems to be a commentary on the sexualization of women in action movies which I was not expecting. The fight scenes did get a bit redundant after awhile, and some of the stuff wasn't explained well enough, but if I had to rate it I'd give it 7/10.

On a related note, for those who have seen it, here Snyder explains what the original ending was supposed to be like:

I'm curious, if you don't mind talking about it, what was the originally shot and intended ending?

The very first ending I wrote the order was: Babydoll was being lobotomized, she got chained in the basement, Sweet Pea escapes – well, let me back up. There's a scene you'll see on the Director's Cut with Jon Hamm. When Jon Hamm arrives as the High Roller – and we took this scene out because of the MPAA – when that guy punches Babydoll in the face, she wakes up in the High Roller's suite. He basically makes a deal with her that if she gives herself to him, and willingly and not against her will, then he'll give her freedom and get [her] out of that place. He'll make it so that Blue will never touch her and she'll be free. She's seduced by that concept, and right when they go to kiss each other, that's her being lobotomized. When they kiss, it's her being lobotomized.

The very end of the movie was: you see Sweet Pea steal a dress from a clothesline, then after she's lobotomized and Blue says, "Do you remember me? Take her downstairs," and then you see Sweet Pea getting on the bus, then after her getting on the bus, it cuts back to Babydoll in the basement and that whole scene happens of the cops taking him away. When he shines the flashlight on her, she gets up, and the camera dollies in on her and then goes around her head – and you see that she's on a stage in the theater and she signs "O-o-h Child" at the very end. After that, all the dead girls come out and they sing together, then the curtain closes. That's the end.

That ending sounds quite a bit better then the one in the movie.

I've seen Rango and The Sunset Limited.

The Sunset Limited needed a snake with a machine gun for a tail.

Super, Scream 4, Your Highness in the upcoming month.

No better time to release R-rated, youth-targeted comedies(and horror-comedies) than when half their ****ing demographic is bogged down with term papers and finals for the entire month! After all, it worked so well for Kick-Ass last year!

UGH. Hopefully at least a few people will be free. Scream 4 I'm determined to see opening night. I still have no idea why it's not being saved until October, though, especially since there's no Saw ****fest to compete with this year.

Latest posts

Back