Movies of 2011

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Last edited:
Looks like I'm the only one who liked Sucker Punch. Oh well. :p

I saw it today and loved it. Everything. The fights, the story, the soundtrack... wonderful film. People keep saying Snyder's film have a volume problem but I've seen all his movies (except the owl one) and never had the problem. I'm not deaf (of course) nor have any type of hearing problems, so I always find that weird.

Anyway, I've seen three movies from 2011, and in order:

Battle: LA 2.5/5
Paul: 3/5
Sucker Punch: 4/5

Movies of 2011 I still need/will see:

• Rango
  • Source Code
  • Thor
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  • The Hangover Part II
  • Your Highness
  • X-Men: First Class
  • Green Lantern
  • Super 8
  • The Adjustment Bureau
  • Insidious
  • Tintin
  • Arthur
  • Scream 4
  • Cars 2
  • Transformers: Dark of the Moon
  • Captain America
  • Cowboys & Aliens
  • Rise of the Apes
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
  • Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
  • Kung Fu Panda 2

Last edited:
Looks like I'm the only one who liked Sucker Punch. Oh well. :p

I want to see it and when I do it will be without any preconceived notion as to how deep the storyline is. Some of the reviews are ridiculous - some of these people sound like they were going into the theater expecting Inception or something.

Hot women. in scantily clad clothing. with guns I like. killing badass mythical creatures. in a dream-like WWI setting. John Hamm. it's like Snyder just made my fappable sexy anime's into a live-action movie.

What's the deal with people's reviews? It's like they went to see Jingle All The Way expecting it to be Predator.

I don't think it's a case of people expecting it to be a different kind of movie and then being disappointed. Look at Houde's posts in this thread as an example: he knew what kind of movie it was before he went and saw it and he still thought it was bad. I think most people expected it to at least be entertaining and it sounds like it just wasn't entertaining at all.

Along with Battle: Los Angeles, Sucker Punch was one of my most anticipated movies of 2011. Both receiving extremely negative reviews has put me off seeing either of them in the cinema. Even though I knew what both of those movies would be like, my expectations have still been lowered considerably because I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'll wait to see both on DVD or whatever and hopefully I'll be able to find some enjoyment out of them.

Look at Houde's posts in this thread as an example: he knew what kind of movie it was before he went and saw it and he still thought it was bad.

Houde hates a lot of things just so he can keep up his rep as a grumpy old man.

Both receiving extremely negative reviews has put me off seeing either of them in the cinema

Bad reviews make me like bad things even more. Even more so when the reviewer is smug and pretentious.

You say a lot of things you don't like are pretentious.

I'd also like to point out that Snyder himself is the one who said the movie is "a crazy, sort of, commentary on genre films and what is sexuality and why the girls are dressed like that." That is why some of the reviewers might be expecting the movie to be more than it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Bad reviews make me like bad things even more. Even more so when the reviewer is smug and pretentious.

Sometimes I'm like that, I just think "Wow you totally missed the point of the movie and/or have sand in your vagina" But sometimes a bunch of bad review can lead me to just not want to see something. Like with the Last Airbender, I was excited to see that film until the reviews came and just killed it for me, I now think I'll be better off never seeing it.

I went to see Your Highness today. It wasn't funny. I think I laughed 3 times. I actually got up and took a **** in the middle of the movie. I didn't care. And they really botched the ending fight scene.

Yet another of my most anticipated movies of 2011 receiving horrible reviews. This is not a good year.

Yet another of my most anticipated movies of 2011 receiving horrible reviews. This is not a good year.

Yeah, I was planning on seeing it up until like yesterday when I heard/read all the ****.

I still have Scream 4 to look forward to this upcoming weekend, one of my most anticipated's of the year which I will see without reading any reviews.

Finally saw Sucker Punch. I wanted to like it. I swear I kept an open mind. But it made close to no sense, and I didn't get the commentary on sexuality at all. Expectations of depth had nothing to do with it for me, since I read very little about it before going in. The action sequences, in and of themselves, were great, but weightless, and almost would have been better as isolated short films. And as much as the word gets thrown around, I have to say pretentious is pretty apt for it.

Also saw Source Code, and thought it was pretty great. Except
I felt bad for the teacher guy Jake G inhabits in the alternate reality at the end. Everyone on the train gets saved, except the teacher, who's still basically dead because now he's got the consciousness of this soldier permanently inhabiting his body.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back