Movies of 2011

But in the bathroom....right?

Right?
Yeah. I'm too much of a regular there to do it in the theater and get away with it. On the upside sometimes I get to see movies for free, or get real opinions from the staff. my favorite was when i went to see Halloween 2, got in for free, then the guy at the concession stand told me "Go see something else. Go see something else after. We don't care. You'll regret seeing that."

I don't know about you, but the trailers I saw didn't make it out to be anything I'd consider undesirable. But hey, trailer perception varies, yeah?

Cause I'm totally looking forward to a low-key, intelligently directed, well-acted film about a butt-kicking girl who exemplifies innocence in ways we don't usually look for in movies.

And Saoirse Ronan. Mmmm Saoirse Ronan. Just saying her name is delicious.

I loved Hanna. Like really loved it... It's not what the trailers made it out to be.

I saw it today. I loved it too. After Sucker Punch and Your Higness I really needed something like it to get me back into getting out to the theater. The music was fantastic, the action was what I like (ie: followable instead of extremly close and jerky) and the characters were all... well they were alive. No one was a blank slate. I think it could have done without the slight reveal at the end though. I felt it was a bit unnecessary.

Hanna was good but I think the escape scene set the bar a little too high for the movie to top again with anything else in the story. Saoirse Ronan was excellent and I think this is the first time that anyone's done a successful, understanding, exciting version of close-up-quick-cut fighting. I still prefer more visible, clear stuff but it was miles better than the crap we get from Paul Greengrass or Mark Forster. What I really want is a sequel. Hanna's story has so many more places it can go.

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B- It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great.

Last edited:
I've seen five films this year, four of which were great: Fast Five (great action film), Rango (great animated film), Source Code (great sci-fi film) and Thor (great superhero film). The fifth film was Super, which is entertaining but forgettable.

I've also seen The Sunset Limited but I can't remember anything about it.

So I just saw the trailer to Colombiana, the new rogue killer flick starring Zoe Saldana as another femme bad-ass in a heartwarming display of revenge.

When it comes to heart-warming displays of revenge I only want them displayed by 'inappropriate' demographics. My wishes were partly granted by Saoirse Ronan/<i>Hanna</i>, and to a lesser extent, Chloe Moretz in <i>Kick-Ass</i>.

My last remaining wish is to see a heart-warming display of revenge from characters portrayed by Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren. And no cheating Hollywood: They have to be in separate movies.

Alright, Hollywood, get to work.

i missed my chance to see 13 Assassins. You should all go see it if it's available in your area.

[video=youtube;_-IzbkXo7bo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-IzbkXo7bo[/video]

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES

i missed my chance to see 13 Assassins. You should all go see it if it's available in your area.

[video=youtube;_-IzbkXo7bo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-IzbkXo7bo[/video]

Oh man I wish I heard about this ahead of time, look awesome

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA -- Top 5
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR -- Top 5
ATTACK THE BLOCK -- Top 5

Drive Angry - 2 stars
Fast Five - 4 stars
Rango - 4 stars
Source Code - 4 stars
Super - 3 stars
Thor - 4 stars
X-Men: First Class - 3 stars

Super 8 - 5 stars

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA -- Top 5
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
ATTACK THE BLOCK -- Top 5
UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2 -- Top 5

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B- It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great.

X-Men: First Class -- A- I liked it a lot. I really liked the 60s spy movie feel. When Shaw's
sub comes out of the bottom of the yacht
, people in the theatre thought it was dumb, but it felt James Bond-esque and I liked it. It did feel a bit long at the end, but I really liked it over all. I can't wait to see a sequel.

Last edited:
I simply don't have the money to see any more films this summer so long as I continue to buy comics, what with living in an apartment and all (and only having one job). X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, THE TREE OF LIFE, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and SUPER 8 were on my to-see list for the month of June, and soon GREEN LANTERN and CARS 2. I can probably afford to see two of those in theaters and will need to wait for the Blu-rays for the rest of them. **** being poor.

(The two I'd choose? SUPER 8 and CARS 2.)

Latest posts

Back