Movies of 2011

17. Your Highness
A bad example of ways crude humor isn't funny. As a comedy it gets two stars. It gets an extra star for including Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel and being a decent epic movie.

16. Green Hornet
What was this movie?

15. Battle LA
Independence Day and Call of Duty had a drunken one night stand. This was the bastard child.

14. Source Code
Ehhhh

13. Bridemaids
I was talked into see this and while it had some charm, it just wasn't really funny.

12. Red Riding Hood
The trailer made it look interesting and it had Gary Oldman, which was enough to make me want to see it. But I was afraid it was going to be too Twilight but while the influence was there, it was much much better. It was a great date movie.

11. Kung Fu Panda 2
I don't really remember the first one but I say it's on par with it.

10. Paul
A good example of ways crude humor can be funny. It wasn't really laugh out loud but I always love Jason Bateman as a dick in anything.

9. Sucker Punch
This was one of my most anticipated films and I was pretty disappointed. It did have great visuals and the music was incredible. The opening was one of the best scenes I have seen.

8. Rango
Based off the trailers I didn't think I would like this. The voice cast was excellent and animation top notch.

7. Pirates Of The Caribbean - On Stranger Tides
Better then the third, but worse then the first two. It was entertaining and a great installment, but seemed to have something missing.

6. The Hangover - Part 2
I would have been disappointed if they did this any other way.

5. Super 8
I like to see this tie into Cloverfied somehow cause I am crazy. I was really impressed by the kids.

4. X-men - First Class
I have seen it twice now and while it is one of the better films of the series, it still has problems.

3. Fast Five
Do my eyes deceive me? A not only good but great Fast and Furious movies. I watched them all before seeing this and the first one I can stand, the rest were lame. But watching them made this that much better. Vin Diesel vs The Rock. Amazing.

2. Drive Angry 3D
I didn't expect this to be as awesome as it was. I used to hate Nicholas Cage but I am quickly becoming a fan and also William Fincher channeling his Mahone character from Prison Break with demonic essence, epic.

1. Thor
Another strong effort from Marvel Studios and another strong step toward Avengers. I think this is the 2nd best Marvel movie after Iron Man. It has the charm.

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR -- Top 5
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
ATTACK THE BLOCK -- Top 5
UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2 -- Top 5
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Thor A-

I great adaptation of the comic that gives us awesome action, great character moments and enough to tie it into the Marvel Cinematic Universe overall without being drowned by it like in Iron Man 2. Hemsworth and Hiddleston were great and will probably steal the Avengers if Downey doesn't do it all himself. The Asgard scenes were amazing and everyone was perfectly cast in their roles though I could've done without the love story. I know it's a summer blockbuster but it's not going to play a part in the Avengers so I don't care if Thor wants to be back with Jane Foster. Second best of Marvel's independent efforts. Hopefully Captain America's just as good.

X-Men: First Class A

All in all this was truly as near perfect to an X-Men movie that you could get. Fassbender and MacAvoy were brilliant and both channeled their elder counterparts while making it their own. Bacon stole the show as Shaw and pretty much all of the characters were adapted and stayed true to perfectly. The only thing keeping this from being the perfect X-Men film ever for me is the lack of Cyclops, Jean, and the rest of the classic characters. That's just nerd-picking however so it shouldn't count against it. Also Emma Frost kinda blew (not in the good Emma Frost way).

Super 8 A+

So far this has been the best movie I've seen this year. Abrams and Spielberg did a great job collaborating on this one in kind of a passing of the torch situation I thought. There were so many references to Close Encounters, ET and even Jaws that made it magical in remembering a time when movies were magical. It also had great characterization and kick-ass action expected from Abrams so that's great too. The child actors were all great (except for the fat one who wouldn't stop saying mint every five seconds!) and the overall cast was excellent as well. Great movie.

So far each movie I've seen is better. Too bad Green Lantern will kill that streak.

Last edited:
The child actors were all great (except for the fat one who wouldn't stop saying mint every five seconds!) and the overall cast was excellent as well. Great movie.

I thought it was funny the way he kept saying mint. I may start peppering it into my own day-to-day conversations.

Too bad Green Lantern will kill that streak.

Indeed. I'm seeing it in about two and a half hours. Expectations are pretty low. Hopefully it will be mint.

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO
SUCKER PUNCH

Save yourself some money. Do not see SUCKER PUNCH.

One of the worst films I've seen in years.

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN

The reviews for Sucker Punch confirm all the things about Snyder than I'm worried will ruin his Superman film, turned up to 11 - Utterly excessive, nauseating amounts of pointless, plotless visuals(all CGI, of course), and ultimately immature. Maybe he's gotten it all out of his system now? :please:

I have now seen the film Sucker Punch.

I think it's a giant joke. Even the title of the movie gives it away. This movie is so awful, that it Sucker Punches you into going, cause the trailer seemed full of awesome.

The story itself isn't bad. Girl goes to nuthouse, girl tries to escape from nuthouse, girl gets overwhelmed and explains it all through a fantasy.

What killed it was the fight scenes. They were nothing more than horrific anime/manga style fights that drew on too long and made the story disjointed.

The first fight was fine, what killed it for me was the second fight. I almost fell asleep during it, Sexynurse did. Fight scenes shouldn't drag like that, after five minutes of intense action, you need to dial it down so that the audience can recover before moving on. It never did.

The story was decent though. I thought it was the best part of the film, the inane fight scenes however killed it for me.

Looks like I'm the only one who liked Sucker Punch. Oh well. :p

I just watched it. I really liked it!

Who cares about what reviewers said what about it? I can NOT imagine letting a review prevent me from seeing something that looks interesting to me.

I also could not care less about whatever commentary about blah blah blah blah blah blah blah or whatever else. Who cares? The girls looked great, the fights were well done, and the story was interesting. I didn't have a single complaint about any of it.

I want an army of steam zombies.

I had higher hopes for it, but I still love it and it's visuals. The opening is still one of my favorite movie scenes this year.

The Green Hornet - **

What the **** was that ****?

Who cares about what reviewers said what about it? I can NOT imagine letting a review prevent me from seeing something that looks interesting to me.

The studio presents what they think will make the most people go to the theater, sometimes actively misrepresenting films to make them look interesting to me. Reviews(plural; dozens) try and present objective descriptions.

What's not to understand about that? I don't swear by reviews, I might see and really like Sucker Punch(or whatever) eventually, but when the vast majority of critics say something is TERRIBLE, I usually don't feel like betting 9 - 13 dollars that they're all wrong.

The Green Hornet - **

What the **** was that ****?

A potentially clever, self-aware movie ruined by an egotistical douchebag swinging his dick around in every scene. I haven't been crazy about Seth Rogen in a while(one of the reasons I couldn't work up any interest in Paul), but TGH cemented his status as "ass" in my books. Vanity project. Etc.

I normally quite like Seth Rogen but The Green Hornet was all over the place. Nothing worked. It was awful.

I would probably give it one star but I liked a few of the visual and technical touches. I wish Michel Gondry had creative control.

tumblr_lnc3hpDkB01qzla78o1_500.png

Last edited:
I can NOT imagine letting a review prevent me from seeing something that looks interesting to me.
I feel the same way. While I appreciate others opinions, I don't let it decide whether or not it will make me want to go see something. I rather judge for myself if I'm already wanting to see whatever movie. A movie may be universally hated, but I may end up liking it.

Last edited:
Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR -- Top 5
ATTACK THE BLOCK -- Top 5
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
SUPER 8 -- Top 5

Also, Proj, didn't you see HANNA? Where is that on your list?

Sucker Punch: D+
Thor: B+
The Hangover Part II: C
X-Men: First Class: C+
Super 8: A
Green Lantern: B-
Bad Teacher: A-
Transformers 3: B

Saw Transformers 3. I was pretty good. The CGI was excellent, and the battle for Chicago at the end was one of the best action movie climaxes I can remember. It was still a movie by Michael Bay though, so don't set your expectations too high.

Last edited:
Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR -- Top 5
ATTACK THE BLOCK
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
SUPER 8 -- Top 5
CARS 2 -- Top 5
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON

Watched Rango last night. The movie as a whole was ok but the animation was some of the best I've ever seen.

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B- It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great.

X-Men: First Class -- A- I liked it a lot. I really liked the 60s spy movie feel. When Shaw's
sub comes out of the bottom of the yacht
, people in the theatre thought it was dumb, but it felt James Bond-esque and I liked it. It did feel a bit long at the end, but I really liked it over all. I can't wait to see a sequel.

Green Lantern -- B I gave this a better rating than Thor, probably not because it was better, but because I wasn't as disappointed with GL as I was with Thor. I didn't expect much going into GL, and it turns out it wasn't bad (it wasn't great either).

Latest posts

Back