My Movie Watching Project

Giancarlo Esposito (Gus from Breaking Bad) shouts at people in the street.

Thor - 4.5/5
Great comic book movie that doesn't seem like a comic book movie. Chris Helmsworth was great. 3-4 years ago I would not have believed there was a decent way to make this movie, but they did it. But as much as I liked it, I couldn't help but think how awesome it would have been to have a story revolving around Ultimate Thor. I'm trying not to hold it against them though because it was still very good.

X-Men: First Class - 4/5
Finally, a good X-Men movie. No idiotic comic book crap like Magneto's super magnetic device thing (that was sooo retarded). Great casting. I did hate Magneto's costume at the end (they almost got through without something stupid like that - so close), and how Charles encouraged Raven to go with Magneto at the end (??!!).

Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone - 3.5/5
Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban - 4.5/5
These aren't technically part of my movie watching project but I am watching them with my kids so I guess they can count. And yes, we accidentally watched PoA second instead of Chamber of Secrets and I think that screwed up at least one plot point. Loved the time jumping stuff in PoA. My only real complaint is that there seems to be a lot of filler and at around 2.5 hours the movies are long.

Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire - 4.5/5
Whoa. Dark. I wasn't expecting that. But I really liked it - the return of Voldemort was great.

Pink Floyd - The Wall - 3.5/5
Great visuals and music. I wasn't sure how good the narrative could be with as little dialogue as (I heard) it had. But it was fine for the most part. It was cool to finally see the music I had known for a long time in visual storytelling mode.

GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - 2.5/5
Dumb, dumb, dumb. And the acting was terrible. But I liked some of the action sequences and effects. So...meh.

Land Of The Lost - 3/5
I guess if you don't care for Will Farrell you won't like this, but I do and thought it was funny. As a parody, it's great.

Cloverfield - 5/5
I've already seen this but it's one of my favorites so I wanted to watch it again.

Iron Man - 5/5
I'm still amazed at how good this is given the quality (for the most part) of comic book movies up to the point this came out. It does a great job of bringing the comic book to life without resorting to stupid science (i.e. Magneto's weapon in X-Men).

Law Abiding Citizen - 3/5
Mostly over the top, ridiculous, impossible plot points but...if I wanted a documentary I would watch a documentary. Pretty good overall. I did see the bomb-in-the-cell trick coming a mile away, though. I rated this on Rotten Tomatoes, which automatically posted it to my Facebook wall - I hate when it does that and can't figure out how to keep it from doing so so I deleted it, but before I did TOG said it would make a better Punisher movie...that's exactly what I was thinking while watching it. So...I think like TOG now.

Iron Man 2 - 3.5/5
I didn't realize the problems I had with this after watching it the first time in the theater. It's definitely dumber than the first one, which was pretty much a perfect adaptation of the comic. This was just a bunch of stuff happening with some stupid science mixed in. The element hidden in the city model was ridiculous. Pretty much anything involving Nick Fury and Black Widow was good. Sam Rockwell was fantastic.

Last edited:
Iron Man 2 - 3.5/5
I didn't realize the problems I had with this after watching it the first time in the theater. It's definitely dumber than the first one, which was pretty much a perfect adaptation of the comic. This was just a bunch of stuff happening with some stupid science mixed in. The element hidden in the city model was ridiculous. Pretty much anything involving Nick Fury and Black Widow was good. Sam Rockwell was fantastic.

It was, but I feel like it was less ridiculous after having watched Captain America. (Assuming my theory about the new element being reverse engineered from the cosmic cube is correct).

Bridesmaids - 3.5/5
I'm looking at this score and it's probably more of a 3...it was kind of funny but a lot of the humor was just flat and a lot of the jokes just went on too long. The diarrhea stuff was really funny...diarrhea is almost always funny though. If they made a movie about diarrhea it would probably be the best movie ever.

Die Hard - 3.5/5
This movie felt like it was never going to get going. Too slow to develop. But once it did, it was really good. The last third or so of the movie was great. It was almost enough to forgive the typical traps late 80s movies like this fall into - ridiculous villains, TERRIBLE quips, and music at completely inappropriate times. I think I'm done with 80s movies for a while after this.

Night of the Living Dead ( 1968 ) - 4/5
Wow. I was shocked by this. I was not expecting such a bleak ending. I was also surprised because the word zombie is not uttered a single time...I didn't know that. I can't imagine what it was like to see this in 1968 when "horror" movies up to that point were made up of cheap plastic monsters and I don't think they were racially integrated anything like this. The acting was terrible at times, and almost any scene with Barbara was unwatchable, but the terror was conveyed very well for the most part.

I forgive your blasphemous opinions on Bridesmaids for the line "If they made a movie about diarrhea it would probably be the best movie ever."

Die Hard - 3.5/5
This movie felt like it was never going to get going. Too slow to develop. But once it did, it was really good. The last third or so of the movie was great. It was almost enough to forgive the typical traps late 80s movies like this fall into - ridiculous villains, TERRIBLE quips, and music at completely inappropriate times. I think I'm done with 80s movies for a while after this.

I am going to burn all your comics and shut down this site for you.

You have given Law Abiding Citizen a higher rating than Die Hard.

Die Hard!

I think diarrhea is the funniest word in existence.

You have given Law Abiding Citizen a higher rating than Die Hard.

Die Hard!

You're right - that is off. I need to adjust the scores. I did like Die Hard more.

E, have you ever watched Oldboy? I know how much you love The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I think if you haven't seen Oldboy, then you should definitely add it to your list. It's basically the Korean version of Benjamin Button except it came out five years earlier.

E, have you ever watched Oldboy? I know how much you love The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I think if you haven't seen Oldboy, then you should definitely add it to your list. It's basically the Korean version of Benjamin Button except it came out five years earlier.

I don't like Koreans but I will give it a shot.

Source Code - 4.5/5
I think my only complaint about this movie is that Jake Gyllenhaal isn't consistant. Some times he acts well, other times he just seems out of place. But overall this was really good. I like movies about inner/outer body realities like The Matrix and Avatar so this was right up my alley. Michelle Monaghan was great; a likable regular girl - it seems like those roles don't get cast right too often.

Ghostbusters - 4.5/5
I've seen it, but hadn't seen it in many years. Bill Murray is, of course, great. Sigorney Weaver looks amazing, even for the 80s.

I really do feel that the 80s were, for the most part, a blot on human history. Very few good things came out of the 80s. This includes people.

I try not to hold the 80s against movies made in the 80s, but it's impossible to escape.

Latest posts

Back